Route crankcase breather after air filter?

-

robcuda

Reaction score
2C6A4B00-CEE2-4F84-992F-A9183319A434.jpeg
Custom intake on 5.9 efi magnum swap. I want a closed loop vent system, can I route breather to air hat post air filter? Will need to weld bung to hat and wanted opinions first. Thank you!

I don't see why you couldn't, but from what I've seen on my Magnum engine, or any engine for that matter, is oil contamination from the P.C.V. system into the intake. I run an oil/air separator (Summit & Jegs has them) on my P.C.V. system, (a cheap one can be bought from a Home Depot type place, one for an air compressor works, & plumbed into the system) but I also have an open element breather on mine. You might want to think about using one on the crank case breather too. You'll be shocked at how much oil goes into the intake from the P.C.V. system alone. That's my 2 cents.

I don't see why you couldn't, but from what I've seen on my Magnum engine, or any engine for that matter, is oil contamination from the P.C.V. system into the intake. I run an oil/air separator (Summit & Jegs has them) on my P.C.V. system, (a cheap one can be bought from a Home Depot type place, one for an air compressor works, & plumbed into the system) but I also have an open element breather on mine. You might want to think about using one on the crank case breather too. You'll be shocked at how much oil goes into the intake from the P.C.V. system alone. That's my 2 cents.
That's an interesting suggestion. The question is, does the 'closed system' want the free air return into the intake from the crankcase breather? Does the oil capture system still bring air into the intake or does it 'deadhead' into the oil recovery sys?

On mine, the oil separator catches the oil & it falls to the bottom of the separator & fresh, clean air go to the intake. It works awesome. You do have to drain the separator of oil once in a while though. Worth the money & effort. If you do the closed system, (mounting the crank case breather after the air filter, you should filter that air too. There will be some oil in that air. kursplat has a good suggestion.

Not sure it really matters. I'm pretty sure the fresh air/ coyote duster/ air grabber setups had the breather into the clean side. If the engine is in good shape it should not "puke much" oil

I think all cars had the crank case breather routed to the outside (filtering side) of the air filter, so you wouldn't get crank case fumes directly into the carb. The car shouldn't puke oil, it just keeps the filtered air, instead of crank case air, going directly into the intake system.

Not sure it really matters. I'm pretty sure the fresh air/ coyote duster/ air grabber setups had the breather into the clean side. If the engine is in good shape it should not "puke much" oil
Thanks for the input. The engine is in great shape, so this is an option.

If convenient, let me know which unit you got from summit.

I went with a cheapy Home Depot kind. I made it fit myself. It was for an air compressor & it works fine. Should have gotten a larger one though. I think I spent $25 total for the fittings & hose I needed to make it work, but you can get one from Summit anywhere from $100 to $300. Some are even vehicle specific, with mounting brackets & everything. Your choice.

On mine, the oil separator catches the oil & it falls to the bottom of the separator & fresh, clean air go to the intake. It works awesome. You do have to drain the separator of oil once in a while though. Worth the money & effort. If you do the closed system, (mounting the crank case breather after the air filter, you should filter that air too. There will be some oil in that air. kursplat has a good suggestion.
Are you using the catch can on the PCV side or the Crankcase breather side? There is some mixed info on the GOOGLE.

I run a catch can on the PCV. This one is cheap and works.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KK81KMG/?tag=fabo03-20
Make sure your breather does not get ram air fed. The ram air from my sealed scoop pressurized the crankcase at high speed. I moved the crank breather to pull under hood air and have no issues.
Thanks for link. Please specify what ram air feed is. I have 3 inch pipe to front grill for intake.

I run a catch can on the PCV. This one is cheap and works.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KK81KMG/?tag=fabo03-20
Make sure your breather does not get ram air fed. The ram air from my sealed scoop pressurized the crankcase at high speed. I moved the crank breather to pull under hood air and have no issues.
If I have the breather intake to throttle body post air filter do you think it would prevent the issue you warned about? Appreciate the heads up on this!!

the oil breather has a filter on it so you can run the other side into the carb hat inside the filter or outside, seen it both ways. The outside isn't really outside as its in the air cleaner, just outside the footprint of the filter, and it had a little fiber filter for some reason. Many air cleaner bases have a knockout for a 1" inlet for some reason. My pulse injection comes straight from the inside of the element for filtered air to the exhaust manifold via a one way check valve. Loud as hell with the air cleaner top off.

or you could use a breather from before the days when they were plumped to the air cleaner... just saying...

-
Back