Routing fuel lines correctly

-

chrysler kid

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I was hoping you guys could send me some pics or ideas on how to route my fuel lines from the pump to carb. I have a california car with a fuel filter that has a third outlet for fuel return. This is the only piece of the emissions crap I kept as ive been told it helps with vapor lock. I would like to add a fuel pressure regulator as im getting mechanical pumps that have slightly too much psi for my edlebrock. This would seem like a simple task yet im having some issues.
1. I would replace my fuel filter with any aftermarket style with threads yet I cant seem to find any with a third outlet. I would like to keep the filter after the pump.
2. I cant find any carburetor outlets in 5/16 and my entire fuel system from the tank is 5/16. Anything with the correct threads for an eddy 1405/6 I find in 5/16 has too long of threads and wont seal. I have been shoving my fuel line over a 3/8 outlet and it splits once a year from stress.
3.i would like to have hard line the entire way up from the pump.
Rubber from tank hard line to pump is good as I would like some flex from the body to the motor but now I would have to have soft line from pump to filter, soft line from filter to regulator and another soft line from regulator to car. That makes 8 hose clamp connections not including the small rubber section between the tank and hard line on the body. I know there has to be a better way to route this.

The third line out of the filter on mine is running back to the tank. Originally it should run to the evap but I deleted all that on mine I got all my metal line from the pump to the carb pre bent from inline tube. It had all the fittings on it but im not running a eddy as you can tell.

20210414_191140.jpg

20210120_145938.jpg

20210103_155338.jpg

20210103_155329.jpg

I just bought a Carter MuscleCar Series Pump and it put out between 7 and 9 lbs with the Gauge Shaking all over the place.
I found an Old ProFuel InLine Adjustable Regulator and I wanted to have a Gauge as well...
My Routing was a Mess, but at least I got a Stable Pressure at 5.5lbs with 5 Hoseclamps between the Filter and the Carb.
It's all 5/16" stuff.

Reg1.jpg

Reg2.jpg

Carb1.jpg

The third line out of the filter on mine is running back to the tank. Originally it should run to the evap but I deleted all that on mine I got all my metal line from the pump to the carb pre bent from inline tube. It had all the fittings on it but im not running a eddy as you can tell.

View attachment 1716137911

View attachment 1716137913

View attachment 1716137915

View attachment 1716137916
Nice setup. I would love to run the thermoquad I have but its going on a magnum 360 and I had two options for intakes either the edlebrock airgap or the knock off neither of which fit a spreadbore even with the adapter.

I just bought a Carter MuscleCar Series Pump and it put out between 7 and 9 lbs with the Gauge Shaking all over the place.
I found an Old ProFuel InLine Adjustable Regulator and I wanted to have a Gauge as well...
My Routing was a Mess, but at least I got a Stable Pressure at 5.5lbs with 5 Hoseclamps between the Filter and the Carb.
It's all 5/16" stuff.

I like the T for the regulator and gauge that saves me at least one connection

So im now running factory 5/16 line to the pump, 5/16 into and out of the filter with the 1/4 return and using a holley regulator to adapt the line 5/16 fitting in to 3/8 fitting out connected to a 90 degree 3/8 edlebrock banjo fitting with a gauge. The only fittings i can find for an edelbrock carb are in 3/8 so I would have to change the pump filter and hard lines to tank along with tank fitting to get them to match. Does anybody see a problem for flow or pressure with running a 5/16 system up to 3/8 at the regulator?

You say you cannot find 3rd line filters. You need to find a parts man who can read catalogs. I've always used wix, but once you find their number, you can interchange that to other brands as well. They are made with inline fittings, as well as the return line off at a 90. I thing that was Jeep.

Here is one example

Found it, here:

ONE THING you must be careful of with vapor return is ORIENTATION. EG the hemi/ sixpack OEM return devices were NOT filters and had a standpipe inside the can. This means they were oriented with the 1/4" return fitting DOWN. The Wix and other equivalent filters are the opposite, at least the inline ones. On those, the 1/4" return must be UP. The filter can be horizontal or vertical, but the 1/4" line must be up. I do not know about the 90 degree outlet ones.

I have the stock fuel filter with 5/16 inlets and a 90 degree 1/4 return outlet. I was trying to find one with threaded inlets to reduce the amount of rubber hose and hoseclamp connections and have since put that on hold. What I am curious about now is the effect of running a 5/16 line into a 3/8. My guage is reading 4 psi and drops to 3 psi at partial throttle. It is my understanding that it should increase with rpms not the opposite. First the guage was bouncing drastically and a fuel filter replacement fixed that issue. Next i replaced the new fuel pump with another know working pump, but I still cant seem to get anything past 4 psi even with the regulator bypassed 5/16 line all the way to the carb . It sits at 4 psi and then drops with throttle. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? No leaks in the lines up front I will check the hard line to tank hoses today.

I am having a surging while cruising that is more noticeable at higher rpms. Im doubtful that it is fuel related, but would like to cover all my bases. My service manual states 5-7 psi is required(im assuming at idle).

20230916_092631.jpg

-
Back