RPM air Gap problems?

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
I noticed on MRL Performance website, that they do not recommend the edelbrock Air Gap manifold for mopar small block. They say the casting is off when compared to intake gaskets. I know when I installed mine, I had a difficult time lining up the bolts. I did not compare the intake to the gaskets. Has anyone found that their manifold had a casting problem by trying to gasket match the intake to gaskets or any other problems?

I had a little trouble with 1 bolt other than that I haven't noticed anything. My gaskets matched the ports just fine.

You know I wish I would have seen this warring earlier. I just added this intake a month ago, and since I didn't gasket match I didn't look very closely.
It did bolt up with out any problems though for what that is worth.

I run this intake and I never notice any problems with it. I Bought it when they first come out with it. I love mine.

I had a issue with the runners that feed cylinders 2 and 4 being so close to the bolt heads. The bolts would just get started into the head and as I began to tighten them a couple of turns, the head of the bolt would start to rub on the intake runner where it starts to make the bend towards the head and the more I tried to tighten them, they began to get cocked to one side. I had to have the flange part of those two bolts turned down 0.50 so they would "just" clear the runner as I tightened them down. Once I got past that small area where they rubbed, then they went the rest of the way down okay. Plus I'm using Eddie aluminum heads and the last thing I wanted to do was to force the bolts in by tighening and risk pulling the threads out of the heads. I'm using ARP stainless intake bolts too which have a smaller head flange than stock bolts so I don't know how a stock intake bolt would have ever been able to be used. On the opposite side the runners that feed cylinders 3 and 5 were fine. Had lots of clearance for the bolts to go in straight. I had no other issues with the intake other than the two bolts on the one side.

I had mine shaved down .030 on both sides so it would sit lower and match up better. Totally fine now. I do recommend this intake, it works very well.

The Edelbrock air gap bolted up just fine to my 416 and 360..maybe they're talking about the chinese"ripoff" version professional products imports:thumbdow::thumbdow:

Mine needed a gasket match...but I was going to do that anyway, so it was not a big deal. The Edelbrock Air-gap is the best dual plane small block Mopar intake IMO.

The ones I've used were all fine, but sometimes an intake needs to be cut to fit the heads properly. Especially because of milling for a certain chamber size. If they dont take off the material from the intake flange side of the head too, the intake wont fit. I dont consider making holes larger an acceptable way to get one to fit. Although the poster w/ the bolts hitting the outsides of the ports was right on how to address it. I've never seen that before but anything's possible.

Yeah I had a guy tell me when I told him of my bolts hitting 2 of the runners, to OPEN up the holes a little. I laughed at him and told him how rinky dink I thought that was. When I told him later that I fixed the problem by turning down the bolt flanges 0.50, he then said yeah that would be the best way to fix it. DUH!

I also had my intake milled to get better alignment to the heads as well and all is fine now. The intake really works well on my stroker! I would recommend it.

I have had no issue with my RPM Air-Gap. Bolted right on and sealed up fine. The ports however are not gasket sized and the ports can be opened up if need be.

Edelbrock doesn't not make there intakes to anybody's gasket size, just manufatures listed port size. Also note, the manufacture can list several port sizes for the same engine.

With this in mind, I beileve they would rather make a intake with a smaller than port window size runner exit so you could/can port it to size rather than have a window to big for the head or application it is being used for.

Wait... I thought Edelbrock stuff never had core shift issues...

Vic said so on TV no less!

You can get crap from the best of companies. It's how they deal with the issue that's important.

A while ago, I had a set of EB heads, and a EB airgap, talk about a PITA, nothing lined up, sure, it bolted on, but the ports were all over. EB has been known for production over quality, after all, who else would make that foam triangle shaped air cleaner, for years and years.........

The shop that built my 340 took a lot out of the air gap intake. I have Edelbrock heads too.

I like the intake - although I never tried a different one on the same engine, so that doesn't mean much.

Yeah I had a guy tell me when I told him of my bolts hitting 2 of the runners, to OPEN up the holes a little. I laughed at him and told him how rinky dink I thought that was. When I told him later that I fixed the problem by turning down the bolt flanges 0.50, he then said yeah that would be the best way to fix it. DUH!

I also had my intake milled to get better alignment to the heads as well and all is fine now. The intake really works well on my stroker! I would recommend it.

I have the the chinese knock off version and I ran into this problem as well. Edelbrock makes a set of intake bolts with 12 point head that is a lot smaller and clears those runners. Man what a pain in the *** those bolts were though. I thought it was just me at first.

That was on my old LA 360 motor. On my 360 Magnum, I didn't have any problems at all.

you may have been reading an old post. I have heard that when the airgaps first came out that a few slightly off castings slipped through. don't think it will be a problem with a new intake

On my air gap intake were the bolts were tight going down when tighting.I used a small grinder and open the area on the intake runner so the bolt would slide down easer,there's lost of meat in this area to grind back. worked great for me.

The Edelbrock air gap bolted up just fine to my 416 and 360..maybe they're talking about the chinese"ripoff" version professional products imports:thumbdow::thumbdow:

Your talking about the Crosswind RPM knock-off, "ripoff" Ha, i don't think so, is the eddy a ripoff, sure the hell is IMO, you better do your research, i bought one for 125.00 less then the ol'e mighty Eddy RPM, it is truely a VERY nice intake, & it fits damn good too, plus it is versital for both blocks, has the LA & Magnum bolt holes, i was pleasently surprized at the quality & fitment fpor the price i payed, it may be a China piece, but get used to it, not much is being made over here for are cars anymore, so chill out. I would love to buy american & was able to 20 yrs. ago, but if we keep selling are industry over seas, it'll soon be ALL gone. its called reality.

I guess if I have the choice to support the Chinese or buy American on the same product, then I'm buying American! As long as there is the option, I'm going American, regardless of price!

Your talking about the Crosswind RPM knock-off, "ripoff" Ha, i don't think so, is the eddy a ripoff, sure the hell is IMO, you better do your research, i bought one for 125.00 less then the ol'e mighty Eddy RPM, it is truely a VERY nice intake, & it fits damn good too, plus it is versital for both blocks, has the LA & Magnum bolt holes, i was pleasently surprized at the quality & fitment fpor the price i payed, it may be a China piece, but get used to it, not much is being made over here for are cars anymore, so chill out. I would love to buy american & was able to 20 yrs. ago, but if we keep selling are industry over seas, it'll soon be ALL gone. its called reality.

Really,i saw first hand how bad the port design is..secondly i know 2 guys who bought those "chinese" imposters,then switched to the Edelbrock air gap and ran FASTER times with their cars...

I have one that is 3 yrs. old and never had any trouble using regular bolts. It aligned right up and bolted down just fine. Now onto the port alignment. It did need minor clean up work to match it to the gaskets but no more than any other manifold I've used. I know a fellow that had a Chinese knockoff and the ports were much farther (about 1/8") off but it did bolt up fine.

-
Back