RPM Airgap vs. non-Airgap?

-
GoodysGotaCuda said:
I feel your pain with the crappy 91 oct. we have it here in vegas. I have to run about a 35-40% mix of 100oct with 91 on my 9.7:1 318 :sad1:

I guess we must be lucky up hear in the north east. I have never seen 91 octane (other than at Sunoco as a grade lower than premium) being sold as premium. All stations have 93 for the premium grade.

I seen it on vaction in vegas, the gas pumps have a rubber thing to stop the fummes from coming out-which is nice. Know gas cost much more over there too.

That isn't all that's different in Vegas, I recal back in the mid 70's thru early 80's (the time I lived out there) that you had to pay for your gas FIRST, and then you pumped it. Here in N.D. where I live now, you can pump your gas and then go in and pay for it. Definatley 2 different worlds. Vegas is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't ever want to live there again.

In response to what do I do about low octane fuels, I have 8-8.5 to one compression, I can run varnish if I want, LOL. But seriously, you could go to the airport (maybe) with gas cans in hand and buy AV gas claiming you have an ultra light or some other form of small aircraft (although I think this is MUCH harder to get away with nowadays, or seek out the nearest race facility that sells race gas (look into places involved in Baja racing as they run higher compression engines and are refered to as off-road vehicles and they are allowed to use higher octane fuels not to mention costs a little less because you don't pay road tax for the fuel, but if you get caught driving on the street with these fuels in tank you can get fined heavily. Otherwise I do believe your S.O.L. because I haven't found anything in an additive that really makes up for $h!tty gas.

Yeah the outside garage setup is nice. I got a good laugh out of your comment.

HTML:
or seek out the nearest race facility that sells race gas (look into places involved in Baja racing as they run higher compression engines and are refered to as off-road vehicles and they are allowed to use higher octane fuels not to mention costs a little less because you don't pay road tax for the fuel

We have a little dirt circle track at the fairgrounds in Ventura. I should ask some of those guys. Maybe they know. Plus there are a couple small airfields around too. May be a little impractical really but would be nice to have the extra pep.

HTML:
is that a true calculated 10.1 CR?

Was built as a "turn key" by Magnum Superchargers in Michigan which I picked up on Ebay for a steal. So, I'm not 100% sure if the 340 was zero-decked by the engine builder. Have heard they do good work with many 8-9 second cars. I should give them a call to see if that is standard practice for them. I guess if it is little bit off then my detonation problems could possibly be less with the proper timing like you say. FBO is helping me out with the proper timing issue too. Thank God for this good guy.

I'd love to see the diff between the M1 and RPM especially since most of the crate motors come with the M1 single plane. But, I may just say %^&* it and rip it with the RPM :headbang:

Oh I could live in Vegas all the time--If I had thousands of dollars to spend each and everyday!! :headbang:

On that racing gas--I went on Google and you can buy racing gas shipped right to your house from a few companys. 5 gallons or a barrel or even muti-barrels--I think each barrel is 55 gallons. They have all types and have how many grams of lead each gallon has. Did not price it but I think its up there. Sounded like it was no problem to get as long as you have the cash.

I cant speak about the gas down there wich is obviously the critical point but with that cams duration and 110 lobe sepearation you will bleed off some cranking compression,that coupled with proper ingintion timing and you may be fine.My friends and I all run 10.1 enignes here on 92 octane with no problems-actually my brother gets away with 11.1 but he brings the initial timing back to 12 on the crank and then mixes a little race gas for events.I recurve my own distributors and its a pretty simple deal once you do it.I always shoot for 32-36 total with 14-16 at the crank and usually 20 in the distributor.I havent had a performance car yet that didnt like a similar ignition curve and 14-16 crank degrees of timing.If you check your cranking compression there is a basic ideaology from alot of knowlegable builders about the p.s.i. and how tolerable the enigne will be to pump gas,I wont really run over 180 max with a proper tune/carb but Ive known some who push it a touch over.Also if possible pull a head and check your heads cc,gasket compressed thickness and piston type/deck heigth to get a acuurate rating of compression.

On another note:
Your outside garage setup pisses my off everytime I see that pic -LOL
I've had the forced air heater in my garage going for a month already and its only early Nov. - I can't wait until January!!
Like I told Old Vart, come South, come South! It's after thanks giving and I'll be under the car tomorrow (Sunday) to do a tranny pan gasket.
Ahhhh, New York New York, so nice they named it twice.

-
Back