ruff running 273

-

lou3500

Fla. Cuda Guy
Reaction score
I've got a 66 cuda with a 273 180 hp 2bbl motor,i installed a fourmula S 4bbl manifold and a 500 cfm edde this was several years ago changed timing chain at that time and adjusted rockers at that time,it has been running fine up to several weeks ago when it seemed to have a slight miss then it goes away i thought it might be a fouled plug [does smoke a little after sitting all week] last sunday returning from a show it started missing and shortly after acted like it dropped a cyl. i pulled over to check the wires every thing was good it started running normal again[never shut off the engine] last night i pulled the plugs [all are gray/brownish] put on new wires,cap,used the same rotor[the pertronix exciter ring that goes around it did not fit tightly on the part of the new rotor that slips on the dis. shaft it's smaller and lets it wobble]changed to a msd supercoil 2, fired it up and still has a miss [higher rpms it's worse].Tonight i pulled each plug wire off while running [that was exciting]and engine ran like i was pulling off plug wires on every one so it's firing on all eight. Looked down the carb when idleing no fuel dripping, run it up to 2300 and the drivers side fuel nozzle is spraying and dripping at the same time passenger side is doing nothing, rev it up from idle they both spray normally. I also noticed condensation building up around the primarys and dripping down on the lower butterflys and the carb was cold to the touch,i am running a phanolic carb spacer 3/4 or 1 inch [due to after engine was warmed up boiling fuel in the carb].I also did the long stick to the ear listening to the lifters for tapping or funny noises nothing was heard. During this whole process i was in the garage and can smell unburnt fuel worse when at higher rpms. Any advice would be appreciated i'm thinking valves? or carb? or a combonation.

Are you running points? My 273 did the same thing. It was the bushing in the distributor, allowing the shaft to wobble around making it impossible to set the points.

Try a diffrent squirter there easy to change and dont cost much, make sure it has both gaskets on it.

If I'm not wistaken there is a check ball in the bottom of the accerator pump cavity. If that ball isn't seated properly fuel will leak past it and screw the mixture.

-
Back