Run stand wiring

-

440 Mike

Reaction score
I'm ready to start wiring an engine run stand and have a question on the alternator charging circuit. How do I wire the regulator since I'm using just a on/off switch and push button for start? The mopar type key switch and ignition 1, ignition 2 won't be used. Using an old MSD 6AL and blaster coil, so the ballast resistor will be gone too.

Mike,
I wired my charging circuit exactly like the factory diagram. you didn’t mention what year but should be the same deal. on the ignition 1 and 2 i used two toggle switches to accomplish the start and run circuit for the coil along with the ballast resistor. If using and MSD ignition you don’t need the resistor only a single toggle switch to kill it for times when you wanna crank without starting.

You could just run a correct-sized belt on the crank/water pump, skip the alternator and call it a day. Just keep the run stand battery on a trickle charger. If you can't find a snug enough belt, you can run an old gutted alternator as an idler.

This might help,

9B5DF69E-158A-437F-93F1-74B20487BE35.png

Mike,
I wired my charging circuit exactly like the factory diagram. you didn’t mention what year but should be the same deal. on the ignition 1 and 2 i used two toggle switches to accomplish the start and run circuit for the coil along with the ballast resistor. If using and MSD ignition you don’t need the resistor only a single toggle switch to kill it for times when you wanna crank without starting.

Thanks. This will be a 69 and earlier style electrical system. I thought about the two toggle switches, but figured it would kill the engine when switching from start to run.

You could just run a correct-sized belt on the crank/water pump, skip the alternator and call it a day. Just keep the run stand battery on a trickle charger. If you can't find a snug enough belt, you can run an old gutted alternator as an idler.

I thought that it would be nice to check out components like alternators, regulators, and ignitions on the run stand too.

Thanks. Do you have a diagram for the 69 and earlier (regulator ignition side) charge system? Problem is I don't know how the regulator works. One brush on the 69 alternator is grounded to the case, and the other brush connects to the regulator field terminal. The ignition side of the regulator is where things get cloudy for me.

Thanks. This will be a 69 and earlier style electrical system. I thought about the two toggle switches, but figured it would kill the engine when switching from start to run.

Nope flip em simultaneously and she’ll keep on ticking

I see no need to fiddle with an alternator on a run stand. Just wire up a push button (or key switch with start) and a toggle for ignition.

Looks like the ignition side of the regulator just connects to +12 volt?
The early regulator is two terminal. One is marked IGN. So it goes to whatever switch you use for ignition on/ off. Make sure it is grounded. The remaining wire goes to the alternator field, and if it is isolated field (two terminals) ground the remaining alternator field terminal

On my stand, I have a switched/fused power wire that I connect to the charging system. I can turn the alternator on or off separate from the ignition. I've run Chrysler, Nippondenso, and currently have a Delphi CS130D that i'm playing with. All you have to do is wire the alternator the way the manufacturer says and bypass the ignition system.

The early regulator is two terminal. One is marked IGN. So it goes to whatever switch you use for ignition on/ off. Make sure it is grounded. The remaining wire goes to the alternator field, and if it is isolated field (two terminals) ground the remaining alternator field terminal

Got it. Thank you!

-
Back