run stand

-
a guy on another site is running his run stand set up like this. the ecu is mounted on the engine .
Make sure the ECU is grounded.
Battery + to starter
Battery - to Ground on engine block
Use a starter button and cross small lug on starter with Battery+
to turn the engine to start.

attachment.php

That won't work as you said you have a 5 pin ECU free, and the above is for 4 pin. A 5 pin ECU MUST use a 4 pin resistor

Now there is one thing: You can NOT tell a 4 pin from a 5 pin by looking, because SOME 4 pin boxes have 5 pins!!!! Of course the pin is not connected. Only way to tell is to meter the 5th pin to some of the others and find out if there's any continuity. Be careful not to get your fingers "in there" or the meter will be erroneously showing your body resistance.

That won't work as you said you have a 5 pin ECU free, and the above is for 4 pin. A 5 pin ECU MUST use a 4 pin resistor

Now there is one thing: You can NOT tell a 4 pin from a 5 pin by looking, because SOME 4 pin boxes have 5 pins!!!! Of course the pin is not connected. Only way to tell is to meter the 5th pin to some of the others and find out if there's any continuity. Be careful not to get your fingers "in there" or the meter will be erroneously showing your body resistance.

thats what i figured .. if i were to use a points distributor , would it run with the coil wired directly off the battery?

Yes, but you really should use a ballast on the coil. You can use the correct half of the 4 pin, refer to my earlier diagram with the "U" cut in one end of the ceramic.

OK guys, you have convinced me that this is my "next" welding project..as I got my stroker taking up space on the engine stand and the spare radiator/tranny is in the corner. Ill put them together since I dont have a bell. Ill have a running trans with a aspirin bottle in the back to plug the output shaft fluids. Even got Angel wing headers hanging on the wall, they will be freaking loud...!

Yes, but you really should use a ballast on the coil. You can use the correct half of the 4 pin, refer to my earlier diagram with the "U" cut in one end of the ceramic.
excellent. thats what i will do then. i think i have an old BB points distributor.

Updated pics. Got nearly everything done. Went with mech guages, easier. Still need hoses, Etc.Anybody know the orientation of the dist wires from the GM module? Or does it matter? Also does anybody have a CHEAP tach for sale? Thanks, Al.

Attachments

• run stand 001.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 190
  • run stand 002.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 188
  • run stand 003.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 222
  • run stand 004.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 206
Anybody know the orientation of the dist wires from the GM module? Or does it matter?

Wish to heck I had the room for one like that

Use the diagram I posted earlier. This is looking down at the top of the module. The distributor connector must be hooked up "as drawn" to keep distributor phasing correct. If you have trouble with timing, suspect that it is wrong

zu5qn8.jpg

-
Back