Runing Hot, '64 Barracuda

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
I have a '64 Barracuda that has a 318 swap. We bought the car with the engine in it already, so I am not sure on a lot of the components. The engine seems to run a bit hot, but the fan does kick in. I am wondering if I need to install a larger or aftermarket radiator because of the larger motor or do I just install a colder thermostat? Or are there other options or ideas that I am not thinking of. Thanks in advance.

I would first look at the condition of your rad and whats in it.If your rad is old and brittle it won,t cool very good.Maybe time to have it re-cored.I run a race build 410 c.i small block with a 2 core 318 rad(180 thermostat) in my 66 Dart and it never gets too hot.I used to run a clutch fan with the recored rad,but have since swapped to electric fan and electric waterpump drive to free up alittle HP.

Make sure your timing is right, that will make an engine run hot.

The thermostat doesn't change how hot it gets, it just starts the cooling process at a set temperature by opening.

was it a v8 car to start with I have a 64 barracuda parts car that has a good radiator but it was original slant 6 car make sure u have a v-8 radiator to start

You can but a new 1964 aluminum radiator for just over $200 new since 1964 is a one year only application. There are at least two threads with the information about it here on FABO.

I have a '64 Barracuda that has a 318 swap. We bought the car with the engine in it already, so I am not sure on a lot of the components. The engine seems to run a bit hot, but the fan does kick in. I am wondering if I need to install a larger or aftermarket radiator because of the larger motor or do I just install a colder thermostat? Or are there other options or ideas that I am not thinking of. Thanks in advance.

When does it run hot? At idle? Out on the highway?

What is hot? How are you measuring it? Factory gauge?

The factory gauge doesn't work, but it just feels like it is really warm when I pop the hood after having it on the road for a few minutes. I don't know if it was a slant six car originally. I have to find the tags from my Dad to decode it. I am only thinking it is running hot by feel and smell when I park it back in the garage. I just had the carb redone and put back on and I believe that the timing was set correctly at that time. Just don't want to dump $200 on a new one if I don't really have an issue. What are the best ways to test the temp, an external infrared gun?

Thanks everyone for the help.

The factory gauge doesn't work, but it just feels like it is really warm when I pop the hood after having it on the road for a few minutes. I don't know if it was a slant six car originally. I have to find the tags from my Dad to decode it. I am only thinking it is running hot by feel and smell when I park it back in the garage. I just had the carb redone and put back on and I believe that the timing was set correctly at that time. Just don't want to dump $200 on a new one if I don't really have an issue. What are the best ways to test the temp, an external infrared gun?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Great, The 2 questions I asked are important in determining your cooling issue. You ignored both (but really, you don't have the information to answer them anyway).

Second, engines get hot. We can't help at all, and it is pointless to even attempt to troubleshoot something completely unknown.

Opening a hood and thinking it's hot means nothing. I open the hood of my truck and it's damn hot but it does not have cooling issues.

You need a temperature gauge. After-market ones can be found for $20. Install one, drive your car around and see what it's doing.

-
Back