Running 3rd Gen Hemi in your car?

-

Cevidicus

CevidiGrinch
Reaction score
I was curious to know how popular this swap really is.

So please post pics of your 5.7 or 6.1 ride. Also include your reasoning for doing the swap... Or, your logic agianst...

Have one in my car....Love it!

Have one in my car....Hate it!

Plan on putting one in my project.

Interrested but not yet dedicated.

No interrest at all.

I love it but it's very expensive. I wanted to be different and just the fact that people find it hard to tell what it is was worth it!!!:toothy10: Quarter mile time to date 12.60 @110.8mph 2.07 60". Waiting to test winter work after I change the converter. It should run high 11s with no N2O.

vbpgimage.jpg

tn_full_062908_15032jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

tn_full_070408_11171jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

tn_full_070408_11181jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

My_cuda_racing.jpg

To me, it seems sort of ridiculous expensive at this point. Also, doesn't seem like the power potential is really that great vs. a magnum or LA, especially one expense and hassle is figured in.

Additionally, it doesn't look like a standard small block. Which could be a plus or minus I suppose.

Steve

I love it but it's very expensive. I wanted to be different and just the fact that people find it hard to tell what it is was worth it!!!:toothy10: Quarter mile time to date 12.60 @110.8mph 2.07 60". Waiting to test winter work after I change the converter. It should run high 11s with no N2O.

Those valve covers from Sullivan perf, Indy or modd'd factory ones? How did the remote coil mount work out for ya?

You forgot the category "have one and regret doing it".........j/k

5-29-09 updates 001.jpg

I'm in process. I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible by sticking with the factory computer and modifying the harness myself. I was going to do a 360 stroker build, but the modern appeal of the new engine and trans was just too much for me. I picked up a low mileage engine and trans for $2000 and have been working from there. There are TONS of little things that create challenges and issues, but I enjoy problem solving. I just look forward to getting it on the road some day. I have had the engine running, but I have my car totally apart so I now have to focus on paint and body work before I can put it all back together and drive it.

DSC03217.jpg

DSC03214.jpg

Those valve covers from Sullivan perf, Indy or modd'd factory ones? How did the remote coil mount work out for ya?

They are modified stock aluminum valve covers. They have 1 of the coil mounts cut off of each cylinder and the plug mounting aria was smoothed into a figure 8. The other coil mount was used to mount the wires to the valve covers. I had 2 tubes turned and welded them on for the stock functional early push on breathers.The remote mount coil setup works well. I built my own before they were made using the early coils. I used 2 sets of hemi ram wires that were the perfect lenth. 1 set of wires was modified with 90 degree boots. :toothy10:

Are you regretting it, or just pointing out another category?

j/k = just kidding.

My only regret is that if I would have stuck w/ my already built BB/trans I would be driving it now.

They are modified stock aluminum valve covers. They have 1 of the coil mounts cut off of each cylinder and the plug mounting aria was smoothed into a figure 8. The other coil mount was used to mount the wires to the valve covers. I had 2 tubes turned and welded them on for the stock functional early push on breathers.The remote mount coil setup works well. I built my own before they were made using the early coils. I used 2 sets of hemi ram wires that were the perfect lenth. 1 set of wires was modified with 90 degree boots. :toothy10:

I thought they looked like modd'd stock ones......that's cool

there is a guy here in oceanside thats running a 65 dart with a 5.7

fits good, custom headers, A/C
I have a couple of pics on my phone, if I can get'em onto the compuker, I will.

there is a guy here in oceanside thats running a 65 dart with a 5.7

fits good, custom headers, A/C
I have a couple of pics on my phone, if I can get'em onto the compuker, I will.

Do you know if he is using the stock k frame or does he have an alterkation?

HemiJoe, what do you do about your belt setup? That looks a little different than anything I've seen so far and maybe something I might like to try. From what I can tell it looks like you rolled your alternator down from the high truck position (I assumed it was a truck cover by the water pump outlet). You think there would be any way you could put up a diagram of the routing or something? I was looking into a hemi swap and won't need PS or A/C, but I didn't really like the A/C idler pulley setup, yours looks a lot cleaner.

Well, I actually found pretty much exactly the picture I was looking for of your car in another thread, lol. You detailed exactly what I asked in that one. However, one question I have would be could you use the same belt routing you used in your car with the alternator still in the original position? I guess you might need the stock tensioner since the alternator would be hard mounted. Also, did you change the top right idler pulley to a different one? Judging by the factory diagram I would think it would be a smooth idler from the factory.

I have a o6 5.7 in my 70 Duster and love it so far,I've got the XV set-up with a carb and the hemi-6 controller,The way I look at it i saved a bunch of money going this route,I was going to build a stroked 360 but when i added up the costs,This saved me a couple grand,I have a A833 behind it with 3.91 gears in the rear,The carb set up was my sons call he didn't want a plastic intake in a 70 muscle car and i have to agree with him it turned out
looking sweet,These motors defiantly have there own sound to them and the torque is sweet,Looking forward one day to stroke the motor when prices come back to earth on the kits--Steve

I have a o6 5.7 in my 70 Duster and love it so far,I've got the XV set-up with a carb and the hemi-6 controller,The way I look at it i saved a bunch of money going this route,I was going to build a stroked 360 but when i added up the costs,This saved me a couple grand,I have a A833 behind it with 3.91 gears in the rear,The carb set up was my sons call he didn't want a plastic intake in a 70 muscle car and i have to agree with him it turned out
looking sweet,These motors defiantly have there own sound to them and the torque is sweet,Looking forward one day to stroke the motor when prices come back to earth on the kits--Steve

Any Pics? How much hood clearance do you have with the aircleaner on?

I forgot to mention,About the belts what i did was remove the gears from the stock power steering pump and filled it with gear lube and use that kind of like a idler pulley,I have no A/C or ps in the car,I went with the flaming river close ratio box and used the stock k-member yea its kind of a bear to turn when stopped but when rolling steers great--Steve

I total suck when it comes to posting pic's,I would love to learn how to do it,I would like to share my progress and have documented the whole build,But I'm a goof when it comes to the pic thing,Someone told me to do the photobucket thing but I don't know how--Steve
I have a fiberglass six pack hood on it and no clearance problems at all,I have a mopar performance air cleaner on it--Steve

Another thing people will tell you that you can't use a car timing cover because of where the alt. is---I did it because I didn't want the first thing you see when the hood is poped open is a big alternator on the top of the motor,Yes it does come close to the frame rail but with the schumaker motor mounts the engine does not move a 1/4 when under a heavy foot--Steve

Steve,
follow this link and fill out the info http://register.photobucket.com/
Once you do that you can click upload and put all the photos you want from your computer on to your photobucket account. once they are on there you can hover your pointer over the thumbnail and click the Img link that will copy it and you can then paste it in any thread you want to.

I total suck when it comes to posting pic's,I would love to learn how to do it,I would like to share my progress and have documented the whole build,But I'm a goof when it comes to the pic thing,Someone told me to do the photobucket thing but I don't know how--Steve
I have a fiberglass six pack hood on it and no clearance problems at all,I have a mopar performance air cleaner on it--Steve

-
Back