Running Issue

-

'71 Scamp

Reaction score
Hello All. Well I've got my first problem with my 71 Scamp Slant 6 six obviously. Drove the car with no issues and parked it in the garage, within a few days went to go for a ride and it didnt start. It seemed that it wasnt getting enough fuel because I could pour a little in the carb and it would start and die. I changed the fuel pump now it will start up and run fine on high idle and then just die. I can wait a minute or so and it will start and run for a minute and die, i cannot keep it running with the throttle either. I have a see thru fuel filter before the carb that never seems to really be full even when it's running for that minute or so. I dont know if it was ever full when it was running good. It has 68,000 miles and seems all original.:banghead:

Fuel filter never runs full on these babies.

Look for vacuum leaks, don’t overlook power brake vacuum assist diaphragm if so equipped, and pcv valve malfunction. Engine is more sensitive to vacuum leak at idle, than at higher rpm.

If no vacuum leak, idle circuit in carburetor could have some crud in it, and or float level is off.

I can wait a minute or so and it will start and run for a minute and die, i cannot keep it running with the throttle either.

Kind of sounds like it's flooded if you have to wait a minute before restarting.

Look for another filter in the line.
Betcha there is one, and it's plugged up.
Either that, or it's sucking air through one of the rubber line sections.
(Like at the tank where there is rubber from the sending unit to the steel line)

I replaced the filter and it has a new pcv valve. When the car dies it doenst seem to be running out of fuel as in sputtering or anything it just shuts down. I will check for another filter in line somewhere. It is an original car and slowly I have been replacing vaccuum lines and such but again when it's running it's running smooth as ever and then just quits. I'm gonna see if it's losing spark maybe. An old guy at work told me that on the fire wall that Ballast resistor type thing is in the ignition system and its known to kill the car when going bad and that when I let it sit it's cooling down for a minute. Does this make sense?

I've never seen a ballast resistor fault intermitently. Electronic ignition modules can come and go like that.

awww man i clicked on this thread and theres no pics of the slant six scamp......whats up with that......j/k but i for one would like to see the car....why not this is FABO;-)

Checked the fuel pump? Just curious and how is it running when it does run? Is it a smooth idle or choppy with some back fire?

I bet Slantsixdan could tell you exactly what's wrong....very knowledgeable guy. I haven't seen him on in awhile, but you could try PMing him.

Checked the fuel pump? Just curious and how is it running when it does run? Is it a smooth idle or choppy with some back fire?

The car runs smooth as hell not choppy or backfiring, will be running and just cut off, doesnt appear to be running out of fuel. Choke operates ok and fuel pump and pcv valve are new.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 132
my duster was doing the same thing. single throat 2 barrel carb. start it up , get down the road 200 feet and just quit. refire, starts and runs another 200 feet , quit. refire, runs great the rest of the day. last weekend i put an edelbrock intake and 1406 carb on it, runs tits, has not cut off one time and has not done this since. so i am going to tell you that no matter how well the carb appears to be working, it will flood out enough to kill the motor without actually seeing or smelling gas. i cannot say without a doubt this is your problem, but only share my experience. if it is just randomly shutting off, i can almost gaurantee it is a fuel delivery or carb issue. if it were me, and it has been, i would check and recheck all your electrical connections and grounds in the ignition system, and then go after your fuel delivery system....

Have you checked the 2 rubber fuel line sections ? Easiest way to rule them out is just replece them. If they've never been replaced they will have crimped clamps from the factory. The inside of the tubing could be colapsing and cutting the fuel off.

Have you checked the 2 rubber fuel line sections ? Easiest way to rule them out is just replece them. If they've never been replaced they will have crimped clamps from the factory. The inside of the tubing could be colapsing and cutting the fuel off.

yes, yes. i just had that problem myself. the rubber feed line from the hard fuel line to my pump was so mushy and squishy that it wouldnt seal anymore and i had been dripping gas. glad you brought that up. something else to check. it wasnt my issue, but it wasnt helping matters....

Like post #4 ? :smile:

yes, yes. i just had that problem myself. the rubber feed line from the hard fuel line to my pump was so mushy and squishy that it wouldnt seal anymore and i had been dripping gas. glad you brought that up. something else to check. it wasnt my issue, but it wasnt helping matters....

When you say cut off does it just die or does it sputter and then die? My dart had rust in the tank and would run good for a few minutes and then clog the internal sock in the tank and die. I'm still battling this problem and am planning on putting a fuel cell in the truck later this summer.

I replaced the rubber lines at the tank and they were in bad shape. I replaced the rubber line at the pump also. I also replaced the ballast resistor because it was $3.99.
So to recap: Starts up runs smooth for 50 seconds then shuts off, no sputtering no nothing just shuts off. Will restart after a few minutes and cut right off.
I have done: New fuel pump, new pcv, new fuel filter, all rubber fuel lines new, new ballast resistor.I have traced all the fuel lines and there is no other filter. The filter never seems full even when running good.

Check the ignition switch to see if there is any shorts or frayed wires. If it's just shutting off and not sputtering or dieseling, I'd be looking into all of the electrical wires, including and around the ballast resistor.

Well it's running good after taking everyones advice here on this site. In the end it seems as though the first reply from WJA Jr. was correct. After all of the above I took the carb apart and cleaned everything again and it fired right up. The fuel hoses at the tank were rotted thanks for the tip and it has a new fuel pump so $27.00 wasn't too bad of a fix. I appreciate everyones help, this is exactly why I wanted to join the site and I look forward to helping others in the future thanks very much:thumleft:

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 7.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 101
-
Back