Running Issues Frustrating Me

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
Dang it! Gonna have a hard time getting the Dart to the Mason Dixon race if it's running the way it is. here's what I'm dealing with:

-missing on 1 (maybe 2) cylinders, but can't figure out which because the motor won't stay running long enough for me to run around and check it out.
-car won't run period below 30 btdc l, which I don't understand at all.
-overheating, likely caused by extreme timing
-super short on power
-sluggish throttle response
-weirdly 17 in vac at idle

I'm stumped. The points are new and set to .020. The carb seems to be doing its job. The jets are clear and power valve is new and the car was running fine after putting them in. The valves were lashed about 3000 miles ago. What am I missing?

Open up the radiator while it runs; make sure there's no farts in the bath tub.

Head gasket maybe? I had a cougar that would also run like that and build pressure in the rad.

Get into your service manual. There's a procedure in there to check cam timing. At the least, wiggle the crank back/ forth while watching the distributor rotor. That will give you and idea of how loose the chain is. And yeah, run a compression check. Horrid Freight sells leak-down testers for less than 50 bucks.

Ok so heres my follow up, now that I discovered the timing chain had actually jumped 2 teeth! Timing chain has been replaced, everything re-timed and shut back up.

Here's what I'm dealing with now:
The car drives great! It would never be accused of having a ton of power

BUT: It won't idle. No matter how I set the idle mixture and base timing, I cannot keep the motor running in gear when stopped. The "idle" is a surging mess and my vacuum is running (inconsistently, maybe due to the surge) around 16. Which is weird, I've had this thing leak tested not all that long ago. I'm wondering if the Holley 4-barrel is in need of a rebuild...any other thoughts?

Run a leakdown test and pay attention to sound in the exhaust / intake AKA leaking due to bent / damaged valves

What is your perception of the fuel system? This car been "sat?" Fuel / system / carb good and clean? Any recurring debri / dirt problems in fuel?

Distributor in good shape IE bushing not worn excessively?

What have you done to check for vacuum leaks?

-
Back