Running like crap when it's cold outside

-

Payy

Reaction score
So winter hit Norway just recently, and I was hoping to get to use the Dart from time to time even tho its winter, because its my only car.
But I have driven it a couple of times in about 0-5 celcius and it just start and run like crap. Getting it to start is hard, and getting it to run at idle takes time, and even when the engine is hot it still runs terrible at idle.

Is this just the way an old V8 acts in cold weather or can I do something here?

-Payy

When was the last tune up? What engine you running? How many miles on the motor? Could be several reasons as to why it's running like a dog. Make sure you have proper antifreeze levels and clean oil in the crankcase. Check the choke on the carb to make sure it is opening, check ignition timing. My Duster runs fine when I start it up when it is cold. I do let it warm up for at least 10 minutes in neutral with the parking brake set so the tourque convertor can spin and warm up the trans fluid.Check your thermostat also to see if it is operating properly. It could be just a simple tune up or carb adjustment or even a fluid change .

Does your intake still have a heat cross over? Not thinking I blocked mine off with the high end felpro gaskets and when I drive the car into october on a -5 morning it idles poorly and can't take the fuel until warmed up.

Mine starts fine but you need to baby sit it for 5 minutes or so as I don't have a choke.

All right thanks, I'm not sure about the timing, but fluids are fresh.
I guess I'll adjust the ignition first and see if it helps then.
Other things?

I agree on the intake suggestion. What intake are you running? If you are running an air gap or have the heat crossover blocked then it will run like poo in the winter. Mine does because I am running an air gap, but once it hits about 180 degrees then it is fine.

Does your intake still have a heat cross over? Not thinking I blocked mine off with the high end felpro gaskets and when I drive the car into october on a -5 morning it idles poorly and can't take the fuel until warmed up.

Mine starts fine but you need to baby sit it for 5 minutes or so as I don't have a choke.

THIS

plus--if you do have a heat crossover, it might be plugged with carbon, and if you run headers or have removed the exhaust butterfly, you may not get enough heat to the carb base.

There ARE other alternatives. Fords used to use, and you used to be able to buy (Check with Clifford AKA six cylinder stuff) used to make a plate under the carb through which you run you heater hoses

AND is the car heating up to temp? You have a 190 stat? Does the heater work properly.

The temps you mentioned ARE NOT all that cold--0C is only 32F in "our" speak. I used to run one of my cars WITHOUT A CHOKE that cold, and it WAS a little messy to start up, and you did have to warm it up say, 3-4 minutes.

Also, you might have to resort to the "stocker" air cleaner with snorkle and "heat stove" from the exhaust, that will help wintertime fun.

These guys are right. Modern aluminum 360* design manifolds, with the entire carb opening mostly a big hole, does nothing for heat transfer to the carb.

Oh, yea, if you have any think insulator spacers under the carb, remove them.

A description of what you are running would be helpful

Thanks for all the tips.
I'm running an Edelbrock performer intake and Edelbrock 500 carb. I don't have the original air filter with the pre heater hose. Not sure about the heat crossover thoug.
Chocke only makes it worse when the weather is dry, and it altso takes forever for it to spark when chocking.

Any Holley I've ever had ices up right away until the heat riser provides warmer intake air. I've never had that problem with Carter AFBs. You could use the carb heat idea that is used in aviation for the same problem. It keeps the moisture from condensing when the pressure drops at the throttle edge which freezes the moisture and blocks the idle circuit.

FWIW, I installed a Air/Fuel mixture gage on my 73 Duster with a Thermoquad. I live in Central Alabama, which averages 90 deg F in Summer, and about 50 F in Winter, with of course colder and hotter. In Summer, on a 95 deg F day (35C, doubt it gets that hot in Norway?) I have it set to run at about 14.7-15 air/fuel. It is now getting colder, and Sunday it was about 60 deg F (15C, your summer high, haha) and A/F was around 16. So you may have a carb that is borderline lean in the summer, and is way lean in the winter. I normally change metering rods about this time of year. At about 17 a/f, I notice a change in the engine performance.

What ignition system are you running?

-
Back