running new fuel line....fire wall?

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
Soooo, Im thinking since the electric pump is at the trunk and the fuel line coming up behind the alternator on my 70 dart BB., is saturated with heat there, i thought id run all new line and bring it up the firewall to the inlet of the eddy carb.....away from all that nasty heat! anyone have issues with running it that way? have you done it and it works well? work horrible? pointers? I have fenderwell headers so to the pass fender and over to carb was not an option. thanks for input.... and please dont tell me to consult my FSM.:glasses7:

I run an electric pump for a turbocharged slant six application. I ran a new 3/8" hard fuel line up the back of the firewall to a regulator, which you will likely have as well, and then striaght over to the carb, and then my return line runs along the same path parallel back to the fuel tank then up, and into the top/side of the tank. I have run this setup for about a year and have not had a problem with it. The only problem I experienced was using a cheap regulator that dumped 40psi of fuel into the carb and blew right past the needle and seat.

My line goes along where the old line was - mostly, then to the firewall on the passenger side, then it goes over the top of the transmission next to the window motor - if that makes sense.

I doubt you'd have any trouble with what you want to do.

Make sure that there is enough flexible hose in there to make up for engine vibration.

If you ever go to a dragstrip how you run the line may or may not make the officials happy. The premise is that if you blow a clutch or trans, pieces can tear up the fuel line.

In every class that has a body, NHRA mandates that the fuel line is not to be run on the firewall. Same reason the factories do not. If the vehicle is in a collision, the engine could be pushed back and rupture the fuel line. Also, if you have a transmission failure, such as a converter or clutch explosion, the fuel line will be right there to literally add to the fire.

I run an electric pump for a turbocharged slant six application. I ran a new 3/8" hard fuel line up the back of the firewall to a regulator, which you will likely have as well, and then striaght over to the carb, and then my return line runs along the same path parallel back to the fuel tank then up, and into the top/side of the tank. I have run this setup for about a year and have not had a problem with it. The only problem I experienced was using a cheap regulator that dumped 40psi of fuel into the carb and blew right past the needle and seat.

My line goes along where the old line was - mostly, then to the firewall on the passenger side, then it goes over the top of the transmission next to the window motor - if that makes sense.

I doubt you'd have any trouble with what you want to do.
thanks for all the views.... i knew about the NHRA rule, dont plan on going to the track, the squish in an accident.... not a pleasant thought for sure, i just dont know of what oher way to do it, up the front of the block has just caused so much grief to this point. the MSD billet dist leaves little room and all those parts in one small area just seems to make best sense to keep it to the back. i will take all of this input and look at it all again tomorrow and see if something pops in my mind before finishing the line tomorrow. putting the wood spacer solved one prb, fixing this will complete the fuel deliver issues. thanks all again!:toothy1:

Everyone on Fabo likes to make me rethink my decisions... I didn't even think about the line being above the transmission and shrapnel and all that. But in my case I can move it. The stock one exited next to the wheel well IIRC.

I have found the NHRA rule book makes sense a BUNCH of times on a street car, too. Besides, if you ever, ever, ever do take it to the track, it will be ready.

I have found the NHRA rule book makes sense a BUNCH of times on a street car, too. Besides, if you ever, ever, ever do take it to the track, it will be ready.

This is good to know for me since I want to take it to the track. I'll look into it. I was reading up on the NHRA rules which is why my fuel system is all Solid line, and then braided stainless where it meets the carb. No rubber. I guess I missed the no firewall route rule. It does make sense though like you say.

1964 Dart 496 RB 727. I ran 2, 3/8 steel lines inside frame rails from fuel cell.Used 1/2 heavy wall steel tube at fly wheel area welded to frame rail ran fuel lines inside of them to 10 inch.in front of fender well headers.Then straight up about 5 inches below bolts to mount fender, mounted 2 regulators ran steel braided lines back to carbs on tunnel ram:eek:ops:

This is good to know for me since I want to take it to the track. I'll look into it. I was reading up on the NHRA rules which is why my fuel system is all Solid line, and then braided stainless where it meets the carb. No rubber. I guess I missed the no firewall route rule. It does make sense though like you say.

NHRA says no more than 12 inches of rubber line.

Can sort of think of it as being the FSM for modded cars. :D

All kidding aside, the various sanctioning body rule books can be excellent sources of accepted practices, or at least how NOT to do something. Well worth acquiring even if you have no plans to race.

Can sort of think of it as being the FSM for modded cars. :D

All kidding aside, the various sanctioning body rule books can be excellent sources of accepted practices, or at least how NOT to do something. Well worth acquiring even if you have no plans to race.

I was a tech at dave smiths illustrious Sacramento raceway years ago. for now.... i have decided.............to do the firewall!!!! it came out nice..... i just put the fuel pump on the firewall inside the drivers compartment and put a line straight through to carb area.... that way i can manually adjust the pressure from the drivers seat also....:glasses7:

the only thing i ever will run down the track again is something like my old rail.... after having driven it, nothing compares.....made door cars drab and boring.....

Attachments

• rialto nice.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 336
That picture looks like Inyo-Kern. Crewed a match race there once.

THANKS everyone for input... ...i didnt put pump inside...was joking.... will work for now and looks ok.

Attachments

• dgh.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 417
  • unnamed (28fhf.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 361
Nearly where I put the Valiant's by-passing FPR:

i-JkTntM9-M.jpg

Obviously with a slant exhaust heat in the area isn't an issue.

Nearly where I put the Valiant's by-passing FPR:

i-JkTntM9-M.jpg

Obviously with a slant exhaust heat in the area isn't an issue.

yes, I would love to route it like yours, just the damn headers are all over that place! lol

NHRA says no more than 12 inches of rubber line.

I don't have any rubber line whatsoever. Just about 8" of braided stainless covered rubber, which as far as I was told by a tech at sonoma, was ok. My car failed tech for not having a battery shutoff in the trunk area. I rigged the switch up wrong and the car still ran when it was shut off. I have since sorted it out though.

I don't have any rubber line whatsoever. Just about 8" of braided stainless covered rubber, which as far as I was told by a tech at sonoma, was ok. My car failed tech for not having a battery shutoff in the trunk area. I rigged the switch up wrong and the car still ran when it was shut off. I have since sorted it out though.[/QUOTE

one of the many drawbacks of battery in the trunk......

one of the many drawbacks of battery in the trunk......

Actually, very easy to solve. So far as your fuel line, if you ran that for heat reasons, I think you might be disappointed

You can run steel braded line from tank to carb if you want. The NHRA is talking about plain rubber fuel line.:eek:ops:

You can run steel braded line from tank to carb if you want. The NHRA is talking about plain rubber fuel line.:eek:ops:
Which I think is odd because some of the braided SS hose may as well be just regular fuel hose with some of that Spectre cosmetic braid over it.

-
Back