running portable generator in attached garage opinion ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I want to buy a portable generator 4000/5000 HF for when our power goes (happens often). I know that you are to run them outside.
But I would like to install one inside my attached garage. And connect a fixed exhaust pipe and route it outside the garage.
I don't see this being a big problem..but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how loud the sound would be inside the house also spec say 74db.
Would you guys consider installing a generator inside an attached garage as long as the exhaust has a fixed pipe exiting the garage ???????
Hey you don't know if you don't ask ! if I get a lot of thumbs down/ I will not do it.

I would do it personally with a RV generator like a Onan. Bet insurance will not cover any thing that might happen though.

And connect a fixed exhaust pipe and route it outside the garage.

So aside from the insurance like Halifax said, and carbon monoxide issues if the pipe falls off in the middle of the night...
Any combustion process uses air - our cars, gas and oil burners. For anything in the house, you need to make up the air that enters the process and leaves through the exhaust pipe. Older houses are "loose", but renovated and new houses are tight. A powered bathroom exhaust fan can overcome a gas or oil burner, or maybe a generator. Attached garage - the house is a box, multiple things pulling air out, including the garage.
Any generator you buy will have a warning about running it indoors. Carbon monoxide from the exhaust will put you to permanent sleep. Just buy one w wheels and put it outside when you need it.

Guys build a shed/box and basically bolt it to a cement pad away from the house. Something else not mentioned, fire. I would set it far enough away that if it burned it wouldnt harm the house.

i have long cords,drag it out and use as needed.

Away from the house. There are WAY too many things that can happen. Exhaust leak. Crankcase vapors. Leaking fuel regardless of whether it's gas, diesel, LP or natural gas. Overheating. Fire. I bet if I spent some time I could think up and remember all kinds of reasons why. It's likely agains building/ fire codes, and as others have said, insurance issues

The noise along would be enough for me

I would point the exhaust at the asshole neighbors house with a megaphone!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Would I run one inside my garage. Nope, never in a million years. Put your hookup outside and drag the generator out there when you lose power. How often do you lose power. Heck my 2000 watt Honda and 3600 watt champion generators sometimes spend a week in the rain at week long drag races.

I want to buy a portable generator 4000/5000 HF for when our power goes (happens often). I know that you are to run them outside.
But I would like to install one inside my attached garage. And connect a fixed exhaust pipe and route it outside the garage.
I don't see this being a big problem..but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how loud the sound would be inside the house also spec say 74db.
Would you guys consider installing a generator inside an attached garage as long as the exhaust has a fixed pipe exiting the garage ???????
Hey you don't know if you don't ask ! if I get a lot of thumbs down/ I will not do it.

Gas fumes are also a danger and those would not be vented. Why not build a small lean to or shed on the back side of your shop and put it in there?

Bad idea. Everything said is on point.... Research generator shields/covers for your needs. Make sure whichever Generator you buy is waterproof in the Controls area.....

JW

I have a spare 170 slant that's in really good shape. I have been thinking about using it to power a PTO generator. If I do, I'll just add a lean to to the side of the house next to where the meter base is.

-
Back