running problem

-

Bunker45

Reaction score
Was driving home tonight (74 Barracuda) and car began acting up, cutting out stopping running, then starting to run.

Finally stalled. started the car and discovered the only way to keep it running was to hold the key in the start postiion. Let it go to the run position and it stops running.

Does this sound like an ignition switch?

Might be bad / intermittent ballast

Can you tell if "stuff" powered by the ignition circuit works when the car dies?

This would not be accessories like radio, heater, but rather the warning lamps and gauges, etc.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread-just thinking that my problem might be similar. Sounds like a '76 Charger that I have (400-4BBL/floor console/PS/TILT/CRUISE). When I got her, she wouldn't turn over. I replaced the starter, and she starts. The ignition key defaults to the 'run' position, goes to the 'start' position-but ONLY goes in one of these positions- I can't remove the key. She starts in the START position, but dies in the RUN position. When I got her, the turn signal/cruise stalk was just hanging. I have the wheel off, and the turn signal cam? is broken and I'm not smart enough to replace it. Could I possibly be having the same problem? Thanks for any and all help.

20170215_073431.jpg

20170215_073439.jpg

What?
You don't have a spare ballast resistor in the glove-box?
I bet you will now!,lol.

You can prove the ballast is boofed by jumpering all four terminals together. This is ok for testing purposes.And also for emergency use. I would try not to run it like this for longer than necessary, cuz it will stress the coil and ECU.

But on the off chance that this does not cure your problem, then we will have to diagnose further.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread-just thinking that my problem might be similar. Sounds like a '76 Charger that I have (400-4BBL/floor console/PS/TILT/CRUISE). When I got her, she wouldn't turn over. I replaced the starter, and she starts. The ignition key defaults to the 'run' position, goes to the 'start' position-but ONLY goes in one of these positions- I can't remove the key. She starts in the START position, but dies in the RUN position. When I got her, the turn signal/cruise stalk was just hanging. I have the wheel off, and the turn signal cam? is broken and I'm not smart enough to replace it. Could I possibly be having the same problem? Thanks for any and all help.
You cannot remove the key until it is in the "OFF" position.
And sometimes you cannot reach the off position until the steering wheel is locked by that star-wheel. This is a safety feature so that you don't crash. The vehicle more or less has to be stopped,to lock the wheel, and the wheel locked to turn the key to off, and the switch in off to remove the key.
If it was not like this; a passenger could reach over, turn the ignition off, and pull the keys out. Your steering wheel would immediately lock,and a crash would be imminent.
I always remove that stinking steering wheel lock from my cars. And I never lock my cardoors with the windows all rolled up. And I never have stereos in my cars. In other words, I make it easy for a thief to get into my car, to steal nothing. But if he tries to steel the car, well, I have taken other steps so that cannot happen.And I ain't telling.

Last edited:
There is one in the console. I was a mile from home and just needed to get home (Wife had to Pee) hahaha. This is my second car (only one running) and was thinking that was the problem, but was not sure. Will change out this afternoon!

I know that the key has to be in the OFF position to remove the key. The key won't physically move, or turn, to the OFF position. As for the ballast, I replaced it with a know ballast from a running car, and also one that I got from our friends at Advance Auto.

The key cannot go to the off position until the interlock is engaged in that star shaped thingy which may require the steering wheel to be rotated slightly until it locks. Then you will hear the interlock flip up and enter the window in the star. If the interlock spring is broken,missing or not engaged, then it will not flip up. If it does not flip up,then the key cannot be rotated. So, since the wheel is off, you can now see the many windows. Rotate the star until you see the interlock, then lift it up into the window. Now the key should rotate to off.
Then either fix the interlock or remove the star and the interlock underneath it.
I think that is how I fixed mine many many years ago.
Oh I just reread your post;
it says that you already have the star thing removed. In that case just lift up the interlock, and rotate the key to off. Most likely the engagement spring is not popping the interlock up.
If after lifting the interlock, the key still does not rotate, then there is a good chance that someone jammed the wrong key into the switch.You may have to replace it. I think this won't be easy, as the key is supposed to be in the ;IIRC, the off position in order for it to be removed.

Last edited:
The resistor solved the prob. Back to business! Thanks all!

-
Back