Running wires from ON/Off switch to alternater.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to run the wires from alternator to ON/OFF swith at the back.Need some help here,as I,m running an alternator in my race car with battery in the trunk.Any help with colored wires and how you rigged yours up will help.This is on my 66 Dart.Thanks.

Are you talking about the power wire or the other two? Run your alt. wire to the main post on the starter relay, then run a 2 or 0 gauge cable from that post to one side of the cut off switch then another cable from other side of cutoff to the battery.

Are you talking about the power wire or the other two? Run your alt. wire to the main post on the starter relay, then run a 2 or 0 gauge cable from that post to one side of the cut off switch then another cable from other side of cutoff to the battery.
What in gods holy name are you blathering about? Im currently trying to do the same thing with a four post switch and have the same question. I planned on wiring in a painless relay powered by the four post that will break the field wire when the switch is shut off. the problem with my plan is that the relay is energized all the time, even with the ignition swich off. If you run the alternator wire through the starter relay, what do you do with the existing alt. wire that heads to the bulkhead connecter and (i think) powers the dash and amp guage.

I thought he was talking about the batt wire from the alt. sorry for living - vitamin c. I see now that he and you are talking about the field wires. why would you need to change any thing to relocate the battery to the trunk with a cut off switch beside running your long cable to the trunk and through the cutoff to the battery? all the original wiring for the alt. should stay the same shouldn't it?

Easy, that was a Lebowski quote! just having some fun with ya. When you throw the main kill switch with a trunk mount battery, you need to stop the alternater from making power and letting the engine run. That is the question, how do you wire the 4 post switch to kill the alternater.

I just got done wiring my drag car. I used a regular old 2 post shutoff and still run an altenator. I ran the wire from the altenator all the way to the battery positive side. That way when I throw the switch it cuts power to everything. It works great. When you throw the switch it kills the power to everything and car shuts down.

I spliced a Bosch relay into the field wire of my alt. because I had one laying around. This winter I plan on going with a one wire alt. and a four post kill switch.

Had a 72 duster at one time and used to pull off the alternator and run dual batteries in the rear and ran a gas generator at the track to keep up the charge on the batteries and worked great. More power with out the alternator and save some weight in the front. I used a quick conect setup for the wiring to put the alternator back on for street diving. Just wired the kill switch to the postive of the battery to disconect the battery at the track. Cheap and some power gain...extra weight in the rear for hooking the car up..you can run same setup with a one battery aswell at the track...deep cycle marine batteries work great...aslong as the battery is charged she will run...I wish I never sold that car...

If you dont have a keyed ignition switch, why not just use your "ign on" switch to power the field wires/regulator too? A keyed ignition switch does that as part of it's job.

I used a tractor solenoid that was purchased from Tractor Supply, to make sure that my alternator was disconnected. Used a second one to power the "fuel pump from hell". If the main power was turned off, nothing could run and it made NHRA Tech happy.

Just splice your 2 post shut off into your ground, that would be the negative wire in case you arent sure. Doesnt matter if your running an alternator then. It stops the circuit and will kill the car.

I ended up just running the pos. cable from starter to the cutoff,from cutoff to pos on battery.Ground from battery to ground in trunk.It works and passed tech,so alls good.Thanks for help and advise.

I ended up just running the pos. cable from starter to the cutoff,from cutoff to pos on battery.Ground from battery to ground in trunk.It works and passed tech,so alls good.Thanks for help and advise.
the engine has to quit when the switch is thrown to "off"

It is illegal per NHRA to wire the switch in the ground side. It has to be on the hot side.

I just got done wiring my drag car. I used a regular old 2 post shutoff and still run an altenator. I ran the wire from the altenator all the way to the battery positive side. That way when I throw the switch it cuts power to everything. It works great. When you throw the switch it kills the power to everything and car shuts down.
Thats exactly how i did mine on my Dart dragcar.Works and charges fine and more importantly shuts off the Alt.,fuel pump ,ignition ,etc. when the Cutoff is switched off.One tip though ,use the best wire you can find to run from the Alt to the trunk and make double sure it cannot rubb on anything .Big troubles will happen if that wire were to ground to the chassis .Only trouble im having now is the Taylor brand cutoffs keep getting corrosion inside them and screwing up after about 3 months.After the second one quit on me i busted it open to see what was going on and it looked like it came from the Titanic .I bought a different brand this time around .I have mine mounted through the bumper ...

-
Back