Runs and shuts off

-

keifer

Reaction score
I'm experiencing strange behavior. I have a 225 in a 74 dart, and it runs and drives fine for about 20 minutes and then shuts off and wont start, but if I wait about 5 minutes it starts up fine and drives fine for another 20 minutes and shuts off again.

Also check fuel filter. Could be getting fuel until something gets sucked into filter and shut fuel flow down. Once the car sits the trash clears the filter and lets gas through.

I agree with godfather, ECU first then coil. Nothing fancy the units at Autozone and others work fine.

I would not just throw parts at it. Run it untill it shuts off. Then pull the coil wire, crank the engine, to see if you have spark. If not trouble shoot the ign system. If you have spark, trouble shoot the fuel system.

could be a clogged pick up screen in the gas tank
clogged fuel filter
could be the pick up in the dist. but they usually have to sit more then 5 minutes befor ya start it again..

have you looked to see if its a gas or ign problem yet? that would really narrow things down.

I would not just throw parts at it. Run it untill it shuts off. Then pull the coil wire, crank the engine, to see if you have spark. If not trouble shoot the ign system. If you have spark, trouble shoot the fuel system.

You forgot to mention anything about checking the air system! :toothy10:

In all seriousness, though, you gave great advice. No sense in throwing parts at it. Too often that happens and it turns into a wallet killer!

If it was cold and damp, I would have suggested checking for carb iceing. I have had that happen more then once. Carb would ice internally, and shut the engine down. Get to the side of the road, and there was enough heat soak to melt the ice, before I got the air cleaner off. Tore my hair out, before I found that (the first time).

I would have to agree with Charrlie. Run it till it shuts off, then check for spark at coil and go from there. :cheers:. should tell you what system to start with.
Or just buy new fuel filter, coil, ECU, ballast resistor and points.:-D to get both knocked out.

While it's running take a heat gun to the coil. I've seen coils that get hot shut down and then are ok after they cool down. Just a thought
Mike

Check to see if the engine compartment is hotter than usual, if it is maybe a broken exhaust manifold, rusted exhaust pipe or clogged cat may be the cause, if the compartment heat's up, that could cause the ECU to malfunction, check the ECU right after the car shuts off to see if it's abnormally hot. hope it helps.

While it's running take a heat gun to the coil. I've seen coils that get hot shut down and then are ok after they cool down. Just a thought
Mike

Coil fixed mine, it would run fine until the temp gauge got around 150 deg.
It would shut off just like turning the key off.

-
Back