Rust free rust buckets . . .

-

AMC PackRat

Kind of a mopar guy. ;-)
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think the term "rust free" has absolutely no meaning at all to most people any more. I took a road trip yesterday to look at 2 possible cars for my next project. The first one was a 72 Plymouth Scamp 318/auto car and the second one was an 83 AMC Spirit. When I heard about the first car (Scamp) it was a 39k rust free car with original paint and light front end damage for $2000. After talking to the guy he did admit it had some surface rust in spots and one of the torsion bars was broken along with the front end damage. I got him to take some pics of it and he did admit it had a little rust through over the rear fenderwell on one side and some light surface rust under the vinyl top in a couple spots but said the hood was barely damaged at all when I asked. The pics didn't look that great but I still wanted to see it. When I got there it was sitting on three flats and had rust just about everywhere. To me, surface rust is just that - surface rust - if it's to the point where chunks of metal flake off and you can probably poke your finger through with a little effort - that's not surface rust - it's surface rot. It was rusted through (although not much) over both rear wheel wells, the lower drops on both sides were rusted through and bubbling, and the inner drops were also rusted through. It looked like the lower half of the rear quarters had already been spot painted before so there goes the original paint theory. The left side rocker was also rotted throught and both front inner fender wells had surface rot bad enough I could have probably poked my finger through in a couple spots (but didn't). The trunk was full of junk but the floor actually looked halfway decent - I doubt if the floorpans were, though - I didn't even bother to look. The light body damage was worse than expected - I knew the fender, bumper, valance, and grill were toast but the radiator support area was bent and the fan had eaten the radiator a bit. The hood was junk, too, as far as I was concerned - the front was bent up the back left corner was tucked down, and the right side was bent, too. It looks like it sat the whole winter with the air cleaner off it, too . . . .

There's no way this car is worth $2000 to me - I will admit it's probably a 39k mile car, though. I'd be hard pressed to pay $500 for it but I doubt if he'd take it and I didn't insult him with an offer. It'd be a gold mine if it was in a junk yard, though. :wink: It did have a nice off-white interior, all the glass was good, and the doors, one fender, trunk lid, and rear bumper were in pretty good shape. I think I'll give him a call today and let him know if he wants to part it out to give me a call but I don't really want the whole car for that kind of a price. Just wondering, is this what you guys think a rust free car is or am I missing something? I have a Shelby Dakota that is rust free and an AMX and a Donohue Javelin from Arizona that are nearly rust free I'm working on now but I'd never make a "rust free" claim on either one of them, myself.

I know what you mean, I grew up in Detroit where the cars really rust a lot so their idea of rust-free is a car that isn't showing rust through the paint. The whole underside could be rusty and it's still considered rust-free. I now live in California and have 2 rust-free cars which really are rust-free.

How come some of my posts somehow get something underlined in them for some reason? If you put the cursor on it a little spam add pops up. It's definately not me doing it - is some butt-hole on this forum doing it so it looks like I am ??? That's pretty frickin low in my book if it is . . . . . .

How come some of my posts somehow get something underlined in them for some reason? If you put the cursor on it a little spam add pops up. It's definately not me doing it - is some butt-hole on this forum doing it so it looks like I am ??? That's pretty frickin low in my book if it is . . . . . .

What? Don't know what you are talking about. What is underlined?

It's gone, now - "off white interior" was underlined a couple of minutes ago and when I put the cursor on it a little spam add popped up for ladies sandles. Same thing happened to me a few days ago. :scratch:

There's one or two cars for sale on this site described as 100% rust free yet in the ads you can clearly see all kinds of surface rust. Kinda stupid. Rust free is rust free. There is no grey area. The only car I have ever seen rust free is one fresh off of a complete nut and bolt resto......and then you can probably find some minute rust particle somewhere.

Yeah, I know that. I always considered the term "rust free" to mean "reasonably rust free". :wink: Meaning maybe a couple small surface rust spots and a little tinge of rust on unpainted parts on the undercarriage - that would seem reasonable to me.

This is rust free..........

Rear.jpg

Tranny.jpg

This is not...

RUSTYCUDA.jpg

I agree completely with Dave - that first car looks pretty nice underneath. :wink:

That 'Cuda is probably 90% rust free, right?

Yup, that 'Cuda is a potential 2 million dollar gold mine. :roll: After, of course, you swap out 90% of the sheet metal, install a Hemi, and fake up a few little tags and stamp a few numbers in the right places. :wink:

I know what you mean, I grew up in Detroit where the cars really rust a lot so their idea of rust-free is a car that isn't showing rust through the paint. The whole underside could be rusty and it's still considered rust-free. I now live in California and have 2 rust-free cars which really are rust-free.

You are right about location means alot on the term rust-free. Here in the northeast if a lump of metal is in the shape of a car it turns into a valuable collectors item. The same car down south or out west would be a parts car or junk. Most Mopars in this area you would be so upside down in them by the time it was done its not worth doing. Very few rust-free cars and you will pay premium to get them. You will chase lots of junk down and most guys rust-free car won't be worth looking at.

NO NO you got it all wrong it's not" "RUST FREE" it's " free rust"
just means they don't charge you extra for it

Thank you thank you thank you!

Being a body man my definition of rust free is NO rust!
  • Surface rust = RUST!
  • Undercarriage rust = RUST!
  • Rust on the insides of the 1/4s = RUST!
  • Any original car that wasn't stored in a bubble = RUST!
  • Any brown metal oxidation = RUST!
  • Car that has been completely disassembled media blasted epoxy primed reassembled epoxy primed again and painted = probably rust free

I drove 3-4 hours each way to pick up a "rust free", "running/driving" dart sport that I was going to pull the suspension off and install the original suspension off my swinger and sell. Anyway pop and I get there and the mirror is falling through the door, the 1/4 is gone below the body line on the right side, the pass door won't open, the carb is rusted solid, the brake booster and sway bar that were on the car weren't (he swore they were) because the car never had them, the fenders had big rust holes in them ect.... o and now there is no title. I ended up bringing it home and cutting it up into parts.

View attachment DCP_4151.jpg

View attachment DCP_4148.jpg

View attachment DCP_4174.jpg

NO NO you got it all wrong it's not" "RUST FREE" it's " free rust"
just means they don't charge you extra for it
Exactly!

Now this car is just about as close to rust free as they come but it still has a touch of rust
View attachment 100_1091.JPGr.jpg
View attachment rr1.JPG
View attachment rr2.JPG

If it still casts a shadow, it's rust free!!!! :grin::grin:

Seriously though, these "rust free" cars make it hard to be honest in an ad. When I say there is some rust, people automatically picture a bucket.

That's hard to believe that Dart was actually described as rust free. :roll:

I see it has the rare deluxe leather interior option, too - good score !!! :blackeye:

I'd post pics of the car I checked out but I think the guy is a member here - although I found the car through other people I sold some Jeep parts to, not here. :sad1:

I see it has the rare deluxe leather interior option, too - good score !!! :blackeye:

lol so you like the ford seats that were attached (poorly) the A body bucket seat tracks? They wasted the tracks when installing them.

WELL I will jump in and say it again..... IF you don't go and see the vehicle for yourself and make the GO/NO GO decision based on your OWN investigation.....you are buying a "PIG IN A POKE" and you have NO ROOM to *****!!! You also have NO ROOM to ***** about what another person considers as rust free..... people have been interpreting the words in our language since the day it was formulated.
There is NO steel that is RUST FREE even stainLESS is only LESS susceptible to rust NOT FREE OF IT! What you are seeking in a 40+ year old car is "minimal rust" and only YOU can determine what is acceptable to you and the ONLY way to do that is by personal inspection. Hence never believe what you read, that is only the beginning.... GO SEE IT FOR YOURSELF! and don't blame the seller for trying to put his item in the best possible light.....if you rely on people being 100% HONEST that is CLEARLY an
"ID ten T" error!!!!

I'll agree to that - I always check out the cars I buy personally - unless I have a really good friend in the area that is very knowledgeable about cars. The Spirit I looked at the same day was checked out first by one of those guys. He described it pretty well but I'll probably pass on it because it had a cracked windshield and rotted inner rockers. It was a lot less rusty than the rust free Scamp, though. :roll: I have a brother in Tucson and Orlando - I wouldn't trust either one of them to check out a car for me. I flew out to Tucson and checked my AMX and Donohue out myself before I bought them and drug them home (also by myself).

-
Back