Rust powder in A/C lines

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
Right now we have the engine and trans out and the engine bay was just painted.

I have most of the A/C lines out and I'm cleaning the outside of them up. I noticed that this orange powder keeps coming out. Then I shook the A/C drier and it sounded like it had sand in it.

I thought it might be dried up refrigerant?? But seems more like rust and was attracted to a magnet. I want to get the A/C running again but not sure if some parts like the drier need replacing.

Thanks for any help on this.

Attachments

• ACrustpowder.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 169
  • ACline.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 151
The rust most likely came from the reed valves inside the compressor.
Anytime the system is opened the dryer should be replaced.
You will probably have to replace the compressor, and flush the lines and coils. Then there's a stack of small cone shaped screens on the inbound side of the expansion valve that are surely clogged too. New expansion valve is the best bet there.

That crap looks so bad, I would not even ATTEMPT to use ANY component of the system. That much junk coming out of a small part of the system would indicate that it's probably all through the system.

Even if you did a LOT of flushing of the system, there's probably rust and corrosive material "stuck" all through the hoses and other components.

The only POSSIBLE way I'd consider trying to use that is to flush individual parts of the system, then figure a way to adapt an oversize suction filter and plan on running it, dumping the charge, replacing the filter, re-flushing, and recharging at least twice.

I also agree that you'll probably have to replace the compressor.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see if the system can be cleaned first.

While there is probably some rust in that junk, I would bet on a dessicant bag failure in that system.

The dryer needs to be replaced anyway, so cut it open & see if the dessicant has been spread through the system. It is sort of an orange color when new...

The lines can be cleaned, but it is a lot of work. Hopefully the TXV inlet screen kept the stuff out of the evaporator.

Does the suction line have the same contamination?

B.

I think some of the orange rust powder came out of both ends of the small line pictured. I don't really remember any coming out of the large upper metal line. Maybe it could just be trapped at the bottom of the evaporator? Or hopefully most was blocked in the TXV.

Since I'll be getting a new drier, what about that sensor attached to it? Do the originals hold up or is it best to get a new one?

Thanks

That sensor is a switch. Usually they are ok, but new ones are available.

Your dryer should look like this:

Mopar receiver / dryer

The guys at that site can get most of the A/C parts for our cars. If you need something that is not in their online catalog, call them & talk to them in person. Jack or Tim have both been doing nothing but A/C for decades - it is an old family business.

B.

if cash is tight , you could replace the drier , drain the oil from the compressor and re fill , remove the screen from the txv and put it all back together and charge it up. The worst that could happen is the compressor could fail. Actual refrigerant is a pretty good flush so if it works and sounds okay , run it for a month or 2 and replace the drier and re charge it again. You never know you might be lucky

ben

-
Back