rust removal

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I need to start the rust removal from the interior of my 65 Barracuda. The interior is removed. Should I use a chemical such as POR 15 or start grinding? The pasenger side floor pan will be replaced but all else is solid, just rusty. As I said the interior has all been removed including the dash.
Thanks for any ideas.

My car had some light surface rust on it. I used something called OSPHO. It's a rust converter, converts iron OXIDE into iron PHOSPHATE. Whats nice is it acts kinda like a etching coating. You can paint right over it. Oh, I got the OSPHO at Ace Hardware. Hope this helps.

I've used naval jelly with good results . Just take the necessary precautions .That stuff can burn ya !

Thanks fo the quick reply. I am off work Tuesday so I have some time to check it out.

I suggest a wire cone wheel on a cheap harbor freight right angle grinder. I have used mine like 1000 times. Then after that. The ospho mentioned, probably applied with a stiff plastic brush or something to get it down in all the pores and crevices of the area. I believe all the rust converters use the same chemical. Third, I would use 2 part epoxy primer over the ospho.

SPI makes an outstanding epoxy primer. Very durable and I like 2 part because it will harden even if you get it on heavy in some obscure areas like a crevice.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

I sand blast anywhere possible but it is messy as hell and ruins things that are in secondary or reflected range, like sand bouncing off panel onto glass etc. So, have to protect all that you aren't blasting.

I like the SPI epoxy as well. SPI cautions against any rust converter under their product. Not sure if its a big deal, lots of people do it. One thing for sure epoxy primer beats all other primers.

I think the converters can work OK. Nothing beats getting the rust off and coating with epoxy.

thanks for the advise. hopefully I will be off work tomorow and give it a shot.

-
Back