Rusted Upper Control Arm Brackets - 68 Dart

-

jdakota

Reaction score
As I was grinding off the rust getting the car prepped I noticed that the metal for one of the upper control arm (uca) brackets had rusted so badly that the lower 1/2 inch of metal was very thin and has a pinhole rust through. I was quite bummed but at the same time, glad I discovered it.

I had planned to put an AlterK in, and that system uses the existing uca brackets. So, now I have a decision to make.

1) Weld in some support.

2) Buy a Morrison or Alston complete frame and just set the body on top.

Right now I'm leaning toward the complete frame. I planned all along to put in a new front end, frame connectors, and rear clip for bigger tires. I also plan to remove the floor pan and transmission tunnel since the tranny I'm putting is is a big one. Also, most of the rear pans are coming out also for the 4 link.

So, why not just buy the complete welded frame? It seems like it would be easier to do.

My main purpose for writing this thread was to give some awareness to those
brackets. I haven't seen any dialogue on A bodies that spoke to the issue.

I would recommend anyone with a 67-69 Dart to check the integrity of those brackets. I think mine would have failed had I not caught it.

Attachments

• 3uca1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 3uca2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 3uca3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 3uca4.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 3uca5.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 478
  • 3uca6.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 478
The mounts don't look to bad to me. Seems like you could lay a strip of metal overlaying that area between the mounts and weld it in for about $10 and it would be better than new.

I think you just want to go full racecar treatment and are trying to justify it.

I have had ALOT of my a-bodies with that problem. Ten years ago, I scrapped them. Now I wish I wouldn't have!! Yours doesn't look to bad (to a guy that lives in Ohio lol). My 66' Valiant actually broke one of the mounts loose on the way home from buying it, made the passenger wheel tend to do what it wanted sometimes. I made it home, it wasn't too scary. Anyway, check this out. http://autorust.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=395 (might have to copy and past it). It is a complete replacement for the upper mount. Or, you could get a good one off of any 67-76 a-body, and 64-66 a-body (thats all I know for sure, may be others that are the same.) I actually have 2 sets of them here, with the framerails still attached.

I have had ALOT of my a-bodies with that problem. Ten years ago, I scrapped them. Now I wish I wouldn't have!! Yours doesn't look to bad (to a guy that lives in Ohio lol). My 66' Valiant actually broke one of the mounts loose on the way home from buying it, made the passenger wheel tend to do what it wanted sometimes. I made it home, it wasn't too scary. Anyway, check this out. http://autorust.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=395 (might have to copy and past it). It is a complete replacement for the upper mount. Or, you could get a good one off of any 67-76 a-body, and 64-66 a-body (thats all I know for sure, may be others that are the same.) I actually have 2 sets of them here, with the framerails still attached.

Wow. Thank you Metallidart! I didn't think anyone made such a part. That certainly gives me pause to rethink about what I'm going to do.

If your planning on spending the money for a complete kit, you could always go with the Martz chassis which would replace your bad section of frame
check out the installation pics at the top right of their link , shows how much of the frame it would replace.It is very possible that your frame below the upper brackets is rotted on the inside.You could get a boroscope and see how bad things are on the inside.

http://www.martzchassis.net/chryslerabody

The mounts don't look to bad to me. Seems like you could lay a strip of metal overlaying that area between the mounts and weld it in for about $10 and it would be better than new.

I think you just want to go full racecar treatment and are trying to justify it.

That's exactly what i was thinking.

I like metallidart's suggestion...MUCH cheaper than a full frame. Let me know if you decide to go the route of a full frame...either we can work a deal, or at least I can get you Chassisworks stuff at a little discount.

I've got a real nice pair that are still attached to a short section of frame. I'd sell them for $50 plus shipping from 93711. I got them from a car that I needed inner fenderwells from. It was easier to just cut the frames off and bring them home. I knew somebody was going to need the brackets at some point.

i seen a lot of a-bodys like that,some so bad was nothing left,i had a 69 cuda conv,was bad,and i just welded and plated up,yours dont look too bad,you should be able just to weld a plate over that

-
Back