Rusty, I BOUGHT ANOTHER FLUKE!!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
This morning a used Fluke 78 (MD-78, made for Matco) popped up for 75 bucks. Guy had bought a fancy 500 dollar snap on "colored" thing. This is the automotive version, has several measuring functions useful, freq, square wave/ pulse, dwell and RPM and temp

I'll have to see if I can manufacture a spark plug wire inductive pickup out of some "junk."

FlukeMD77.jpg

This morning a used Fluke 78 (MD-78, made for Matco) popped up for 75 bucks. Guy had bought a fancy 500 dollar snap on "colored" thing. This is the automotive version, has several measuring functions useful, freq, square wave/ pulse, dwell and RPM and temp

I'll have to see if I can manufacture a spark plug wire inductive pickup out of some "junk."

View attachment 1715452278

That's badass! Did I ever tell you I found the one I misplaced that you shared the Ebay link to? It was in my small portable toolbox in the spare bedroom. I had thrown a few tools in to go help a friend with an electrical draw and had just "put it back there" and forgot where it was. Made me happy. lol

That's pretty similar to my 73III, except I don't have square-wave capability. Fluke makes the best meters!

That's pretty similar to my 73III, except I don't have square-wave capability. Fluke makes the best meters!

This is actually a fairly specialized meter, intended for automotive work

I have several Flukes including a 73 series. This one has several functions not found in the 73. If you look closely at the photo, nearly every function has an additional, alternate function. AC volts also measures frequency (Hertz), DC volts measures DC pulse frequency, there's a function for dwell angle and duty cycle (such as injector pulse), and two RPM ranges. In addition it measures temp, C and F by simply plugging in a thermocouple. The 73 will do none of those things. I guess I must have maybe 5 or 6 Flukes all told. They all work.

However, I keep hearing that newer Flukes have been Chinezeoationized and may not be nearly as good. That is troubling as with all that sort of thing.

One thing that annoys me about Flukes is that the damn continuity tone is either so weak I can't hear it or doesn't work. There are times it would be handy

That's badass! Did I ever tell you I found the one I misplaced that you shared the Ebay link to? It was in my small portable toolbox in the spare bedroom. I had thrown a few tools in to go help a friend with an electrical draw and had just "put it back there" and forgot where it was. Made me happy. lol

I knew you lost it, did not hear you found it.

??? rusty ???

Rusty is a friend of mine, even though we've never met. I WAS down in "his part of the country" once, went to a RADAR school at the now defunct NAS Glynco, GA, in one of the old WWII blimp hangers

glynco_hangers_04.jpg

CPN-4 GCA unit I "learned" on

img016s.jpg

Inside one of the hangers. I've forgotten the dimensions, these are about 1000 ft long
img018s.jpg

Me likely around 71-72 at NAS Miramar pretending to adjust the RADAR. GCA is what brings AC down in the dark/ fog/ clouds to the runway from 10 mi out. You HAVE to know what you are doing, you can crash aircraft
img050s.jpg

Last edited:
I worked next to the RADAR troops in the Air Force in Ground Radio Systems, mainly installing and maintaining Ground to Air radios and associated equipment.

RADAR troops were sharp, they did repairs on TACAN, Glideslope, localizer, etc (just trying to remember!) And you're correct...they had to be repaired correctly or bad things could happen.

GCA, back in the day "was it." GCA was invented towards the end of WWII and used extensively in the Berlin air lift. The RADAR consists of AZ/EL display a pie shaped display from touchdown out to about 10mi. It gives you the glideslope and azimuth courseline to the runway and is quite accurate. The stuff I worked on was early 50's / late 40's circa, with some circuit improvements. For example the receiver had a transistorized main chassis, where the original system was all vacuum tubes

Here is a real display of these radars. Upper display is elevation (glideslope) and lower is AZ, courseline You cannot see the touchdown point which is hidden in the 'ground clutter.' In actual use the controller would reduce the gain which would reduce ground clutter.
gcappi.jpg

Couple of years ago I found this photo of the unit at Adak. I'm just as happy I never made it up there LOL

1+Adak,+CPN-4+blog.jpg

Interior photos are hard to find This one is in England, and is the interior of one similar to above. The original configuration (CPN-4) had (about) a 40mi range search RADAR, the GCA PAR below it, 3 VHF and 3 UHF com radios, and 3 of these AC operating positions, elbow to elbow in that tiny trailer. I'd guess it was a 20-25 ft trailer. There were three sections, the "prime mover" (the truck) had a van body for parts storage. The middle trailer had maintenance/ service benches, storage for spare working chassis, and jumper cables for troubleshooting, and a HUGE about a 15-20 hp AC unit. We were told the ops trailer had electric strip heaters WHICH WE WOULD NEVER NEED, as the tubes and equipment would heat the trailer well below zero.

The very large voltmeter to the left of the operator was used to set up courseline and glidepath curser positions, and had to be done carefully. Notice it has a mirrored scale, to eliminate parallax. At Miramar, we got a new LED digital meter (new technology in 71) to replace that analog meter

langar-3.jpg

Love seeing the old photos of equipment. It's amazing what they were able to engineer...and it worked.

Around 1990 I worked in the air traffic control radio shop at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, TX. The weather shop got in a Bubble Memory ATIS radio and didn't know what to do with it. We installed it replacing a cassette ATIS. We had to actually make the cassettes by winding up magnetic tape dipping each end in MEK to remove the film!!! Those were the days!!!

My last experience working with radios was for a Motorola shop up till 99 or 2K. I installed E911 radio/ telco and dispacth equipment. In those days the Quantar was top dog. Very expensive. I see now, you can buy 800mhz Quantars on Egag for next to nothing---150 bucks or so. You can covert them for 900 mhz amateur use, so they are not useless I thought I was having fun doing that, but looking back did not get paid nearly enough, especially for the time away from home, and I didn't even have a family.

Biggest system we installed was a revamp of the Spokane fire com system, inspired by "Firestorm" because various depts could not inter-communicate. We re tuned, moved, and reconfigured much of the gear they had. Lots of remote receivers for multi-site improved receiver coverage, the audio of which was linked by various means to the downtown dispatch to a voter. Radio audio was linked every way you could imagine----by dedicated RF link, by fiber, rented dry pair, and the county microwave link. All the receivers on several channels was linked to dispatch, through voters, and then back out to wherever the transmitters were, so, multi receiver repeated systems, as well as base station operation from the dispatch.

Back then pagers were big, and we installed a few PD/ fire/ EMT paging systems, too.

SCAN01b.JPG

I don't remember what site this was at, this is in a surplus military comm camper. I built all this, cut down an old GE rack. Top unit is a paging Quantar with encoder above it. Bottom two are repeaters for two different frequencies. This was for Adams Co. WA sheriff and fire. We had I think 3 repeater sites all on same freq. Deputies selected which repeater by name of channel, which simply changed the PL tone (CTCSS)

Last edited:
Rusty is a friend of mine, even though we've never met. I WAS down in "his part of the country" once, went to a RADAR school at the now defunct NAS Glynco, GA, in one of the old WWII blimp hangers

View attachment 1715453171

CPN-4 GCA unit I "learned" on

View attachment 1715453177

Inside one of the hangers. I've forgotten the dimensions, these are about 1000 ft long
View attachment 1715453178
Me likely around 71-72 at NAS Miramar pretending to adjust the RADAR. GCA is what brings AC down in the dark/ fog/ clouds to the runway from 10 mi out. You HAVE to know what you are doing, you can crash aircraft
View attachment 1715453179

Super cool stuff. And thank you. I consider you a friend as well. Maybe one day we can share a beer or two. That would be nice.

Sold a butt load of Flukes while on the tool truck. Good stuff.

This is the 900 mhz paging gear. it received the 900mhz page from dispatch, sent it to the paging transmitter in the other rack via the encoder. These were set up so the three sites were consecutive, so fire guys were "sure" to receive a page county wide

These military camper enclosures were a PITA to work in as you could not stand up in them.

img040cs.jpg

Can anybody tell me what a radar echo box is or what it does?

Sure. An echo box is a tuneable resonant cavity. it hooks into the radar antenna/ feedline which is waveguide. You tune it to resonance as indicated by a huge overload condition on the radar scope, or by a huge blip on a test oscilloscope. it is a 'quick' indicator, relatively speaking of transmitter power and receiver sensitivity. You log the readings you get, and over time, deterioration indicates 'something has changed.' It can be something wrong in the waveguide, something wrong (moisture?) in the echo box, or trouble in either the receiver or transmitter.

Tuned cavities are analogous to blowing across a bottle. The size of the cavity, which is changed by a moveable plunger, determines the frequency at which the cavity is resonant.

Cavity magnetrons operate in similar fashion. A magnetron has a ring of cavities around the inside of the tube, and the tube generates high velocity fast moving electrons, moving in an arc inside the tube. The electrons in essence "blow" across the cavities, and that energy sets the cavity into vibration. Magnetrons are simple yet elegant devices, and are essentially a specialized diode tube ( di meaning two elements) so they have an anode, and a cathode (heated filament). you get them to conduct with a very high voltage DC across the two elements, and (short story) this causes high energy electron flow

Sure. An echo box is a tuneable resonant cavity. it hooks into the radar antenna/ feedline which is waveguide. You tune it to resonance as indicated by a huge overload condition on the radar scope, or by a huge blip on a test oscilloscope. it is a 'quick' indicator, relatively speaking of transmitter power and receiver sensitivity. You log the readings you get, and over time, deterioration indicates 'something has changed.' It can be something wrong in the waveguide, something wrong (moisture?) in the echo box, or trouble in either the receiver or transmitter.

Tuned cavities are analogous to blowing across a bottle. The size of the cavity, which is changed by a moveable plunger, determines the frequency at which the cavity is resonant.

I have one of these radar Echo boxes in my basement along with two big oscilloscopes. The oscilloscopes are dual beam. And the power supply units for them will heat up a house.

If you post the model numbers---should be nameplates---we can look them up. RF cavites are used in all sorts of equipment, for various purposes, frequencies, etc. One very popular use of cavities is in radio communication repeaters. A duplexer is a bank of specialized cavities which can isolate the receiver from the transmitter, allowing the receiver to 'listen' while the transmitter is on the air.........on the same antenna.

-
Back