rusty roof tear off

-
Here's a picture of the roof skin after its been removed. All of the holes were spot welds I drilled out with a spot weld cutter. It goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 760
I need to do this myself one day. How did you know where to cut the A pillars? Is there lead in there too?

Here's a picture of the roof skin after its been removed. All of the holes were spot welds I drilled out with a spot weld cutter. It goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

very impressive , great work ! seeing this is a first for me

I need to do this myself one day. How did you know where to cut the A pillars? Is there lead in there too?

Once you pull the windshield and gasket you can see the edge of the roof skin in the window channel. There wasn't any lead on mine, just a little bit of filler to cover a seam weld at the junction of the roof skin and pillar. I didn't cut the pillar, just ground the weld connecting the two.

very impressive , great work ! seeing this is a first for me

Thanks! :D

I can get some more pictures if anyone's interested, but there's not that much to it.

I used a sanding disk on a 7" grinder to remove the filler at the quarter seam, then melted the lead out with a propane torch. There are 4 small seam welds, one at each of the A-pillars and on the very back of the quarter seam at the channel. The rest are just spot welds, about 200 of them now that I counted. You can pretty much count on a spot weld every 1 1/2" or so at the least. They're pretty easy to see, although a quick pass with a wire wheel shows them up really well.

Its a little time consuming, but its not really all that hard. And once you get rolling with the spot weld cutter it isn't bad. I was a little cautious with this one since its the donor, so when I pried it off I had to go back and clean up a few spots with a chisel. When I cut the other one off it will go faster since I won't have to worry about preserving the roof skin, just the inner structure and drip rails.

you are the man thanks for all the pics and info i will do my best to keep u updated on my project.

-
Back