#'s matching 340 but .080 over? (sigh)

-

1967GTX440

Life is Short so Enjoy your Ride!
Reaction score
Hi guys - need some advise.

I'm looking at #'s matching '70 340, 4-spd, 3:91 Duster (orig 3:55 car). The car is a one owner car, Sassy Grass, black buckets (silver inserts), no option car. Rallye dash, no tach. The owner has gone the street/strip route (six pack scoop, battery in the trunk, no heater, in board springs). The car has not been cut at all and can be taken back close to stock looking in a couple week-ends. Buildsheet, fendertag, SW rustfree car - asking price $9,500.

The issue is that the motor was built up a bit, and has been bored .080 over - he's done a few passes without any issues, and the car runs cool. The engine, trans, and rearend have 700 miles on them. Is this something that is going to be an issue for a street driven car? I'm not looking to race it, maybe drive it about 2,000 miles a year for "therapy"...

:prayer: Thanks in advance for your replies!

Dave C
Wakefield, MA

The car its self sounds like a beauty. Not a lot of one owner 340 Dusters out there, especially with the 4 speed. I would base my decision mainly on the condition body. You have the matching # block and it could always be sleeved down the road. Costly but it could be done and its a lot cheaper than extensive body work. Can you find out if the block was sonic tested before that 080 over bore? Got pictures?

If he's put miles on it and it has no issues with overheating, I'd say the overbore is fine. But, if this is a numbers car/engine and you want to beat it up a bit, swap the 340 out, bag it up, and keep it safe. Beat on something else.

Thats a lot of over bore.....0.40 over is all that is generally acceptable on a small block mopar. I find it interesting this car is lacking the rally dash. Whatz up with that?

I agree w moper. If the motor is running fine stick it aside while you beat on a diff motor. I have never even heard of .080 being fine. .060 is ussualy the max. I have the #s block .030 over 340 oiled and baged in the corner of my garage while i beat on a non #s 340s. To sleve all 8 will be expensive

you can usually take them quite a bit over the factory recommended limit.

I have seen .080 over 340's go roundy round @8500 rpm with no issue.
Same with 318/360, they will go .070 no problem, with the exception being massive amounts of core shift with some blocks, but few.

Thanks Guys - the body "looks" good in the pics (hell I look good in pics!! LOL), never rusted, orig sheet metal. Restored about 9 years ago... albeit made to look like a 71. This was an original White v-top car with white side stripes. It now is a no-top car with black 71 stripe sheme, and the blacked out hood treatment with "340" callout on the hood, and a sharktooth - again all minor stuff... nice to have the grille. I'd look to finish the hood off with a snorkle scoop and live with it until the day comes when I'd restore it back to original - all top trim is included.

Pics...

1970340duster009.jpg

1970340duster008.jpg

1970340duster007.jpg

1970340duster002.jpg

1970340duster001.jpg

1970340duster017.jpg

:prayer: Thanks again for your insight! :prayer:

Dave C

Nice looking car! If you can get it for a liitle cheaper and want to make a little profit get in touch w me. Everyone in this neck of the woods are looking for 4 speed 340 cars. Rust free cars up here are few and far.

Yeah - he has a sticker on the dash that say "Step on the gas until you smell sh*t, then back off".

If I wasn't thinking of buying it or if I was 20 again I'd think that was funny, but when I see stuff like that it makes me question things....:banghead:

He also just told me that he CONVERTED the front drum brakes to disc - REDFLAG!!

Didn't all 70 340 Dusters have disc???

I'm still waiting for the pic of the fendertag/vin (grrrrrrrrrr.....)

Jsut my opinion, but the car is apparently a decent numbers car. But it's been so far changes that really, the value isn't there. IMO, that's a 5-6K car if everything works perfect and it drives and stops well.

no, some came, could be ordered with drum....a lot of guys look for those 340 drum cars....the idea was less weight in the front as well as less drag from the discs....leads to quicker 1/4....just that diff alone.

not trying to pick the car apart, just trying to help with your decsion. And give you some things to look over.
- the bucket seats look like they are from a 71
- the rallye dash should be black where it is silver and woodgrain where it is black (is it out of a eary b'cuda?
- 70 duster 340s did all have discs - sometimes drag racer guys years ago (especially stock eliminator guys) used to put on the 9" SBP drum brakes i think from late 60's a-bodies to reduce weight, they could then add some ballast at the rear to compensate. maybe this car was converted - just an idea.
- the shifter looks like it is a bench seat type, my guess is this was a bench seat 4spd car

Looks like a nice enough car. How does the paint/body look in person? Pictures look good

I wouldnt even give .080 over a second thought. I've seen um go .125 with room left over.

Swinger - yup that's him, good guy - we're GTX frat brothers :D

That Duster is supercool - nice to meet you!

I'm still waiting on the fendertag info and/or vin - the seller has gone radio silent....hmmmmm

Thanks
Dave

I don't know, I would had said its a fair deal a few years back but today $10,000 can buy lots of nice rides.

I would gamble and look for bankruptcy auctions, I seen some nice looking rides going on ebay, people are being forced to sell. You just need to be flexible on the type of car you want, like if you want a A body you might end up with a B body

Swinger - yup that's him, good guy - we're GTX frat brothers :D

That Duster is supercool - nice to meet you!

I'm still waiting on the fendertag info and/or vin - the seller has gone radio silent....hmmmmm

Thanks
Dave
Rick P has a sweeet 68 hemi 4 speed dana 60 GTX. Have you seen his plumb crazy 340 4 speed 70 duster? Real stout 408 in it. Runs real strong. Mabe its because its a real plumb crazy car that was built on halloween of 69 but he has refused $13k for that car, and it has been built up pretty hard. He always has parts for sale as well if you ever need anything.

Are they chevy pistons? Who makes a 4.012 piston for mopar?

I wouldnt even give .080 over a second thought. I've seen um go .125 with room left over.

Going even .060" over to a 4.10" bore on a factory 340 block is pushing it imo. And even before i did that id have to be comforatable with the sonic numbers. Not saying there havent been any .125 over 340 bores, its just silly imo. And usually thats done with an siamese "R" block.

my 2c
regards,

david

-
Back