Sad day for Challenger lovers

-

WildCat

Reaction score
A friend posted this on POA, I'm not sure it is correct, but would guess it to be

If you live anywhere near Omaha, NE you know about the substantial storm that ripped through the city
this past Saturday. The damage from wind and hail is so significant there are still power outages
with downed trees and power lines. The golf ball sized hail caused significant damage to structures
and vehicles in bay at the rail yard in Council Bluffs, Iowa (Eastern suburb of Omaha).

The very unfortunate news is that every vehicle sitting in bay at Council Bluffs received significant
damage and will likely be bought back and sent t auction. The vehicle list includes (35) Dodge Challenger
SRT8s. The damage to these vehicles is not dentless paint repair. The damage is significant and includes
broken windshields and headlights. Most body panels will have to be replaced. Therefore these units will be
re-classified as "Act of God, major transportation damage" and will be sold at auction.
There is nothing that can be done to recover a unit bought back. The vehicles are now on "Hail Storm" hold
and awaiting Insurance Inspection and buy back. Obviously this is devastating news to those people waiting
for one of the 35 Dodge Challengers that were effected. There is no avenue to replace these units as the
production has been filled for the 2008 model year.
Please do not contact Sierra Mountain Express in Council Bluffs, to check the status of your vehicle. They are
scrambling to catch up with the situation and everything is on hold waiting inspection. You can see the status of
your vehicle in DealerConnect. We apologize for this unfortunate situation.

What a shame for those that had them ordered, for Chrysler to lose the attention the cars will bring, and 35 of the newest Hottest Chryslers to end up with salvaged titles

On the positive side those 35 folks will have to wait for the 2009's and will have the choice of a 6spd manual and won't have to pay $10,000-$20,000 over sticker for the privilege of an 08.

I know one of those Challengers that was damaged was waiting to be delivered to a dealer in Seneca, Kansas it was one of the orange ones I was told. Dealer there told me the hail damage to them was severe, purchaser of the car was upset since now he has to order a 2009 and is SOL trying to find a 2008. A 2009 would be nice, but wont be a limited run, first year 2008 model.

those cars most likely do not have a dent or ding in them i'll put money on it fleetcar carriers will get called in as we always do to haul them to the st louis auto auction, and our instruction we'll be very clear make sure you go around the car and knock a couple of dent and dings in them so chrysler can wipe out the whole dam yard, remember everybody the auto is horrible rite now so chrysler turns into the ins and now its considered a sold car this is what i do for a living i was leased to fleetcar and we emptied that yard out a couple years back not a dam thing wrong with them cars good deal for chrysler, oh by the way if anybody wondering GM is just about ready to file for bankruptcy they,ve about had it....

Dodge dealer near me just got a 08 in. It sold for $55,000. Thats $15,000 over sticker.

Dealer here got one with a sticker price of $41000 and sold it on ebay for $51000. Guy in Nebraska bought it. It arrived at 3 pm one evening and the guy picked it up the next morning at 8 sharp. Those damaged cars will have one hell of a running gear in em. Let me know where and when they sell if you know.

Dealer here got one with a sticker price of $41000 and sold it on ebay for $51000. Guy in Nebraska bought it. It arrived at 3 pm one evening and the guy picked it up the next morning at 8 sharp. Those damaged cars will have one hell of a running gear in em. Let me know where and when they sell if you know.

Even so, would the running gear be worth, say, 10 grand? You'd have to get it for half that or less to make it worth your while? :read2:

The local ad was asking 61k. wow they are really jacking the price up, sad thing is they both sold.

those cars most likely do not have a dent or ding in them i'll put money on it fleetcar carriers will get called in as we always do to haul them to the st louis auto auction, and our instruction we'll be very clear make sure you go around the car and knock a couple of dent and dings in them so chrysler can wipe out the whole dam yard...

I'm gonna have to call BS on this story. I work at several local auctions and know people at the Omaha auction and those cars are hit hard. Insurance adjustors know the difference between catastrophic hail damage and transport damage and would quickly claim fraud!!!

Just an FYI, the 09 SRT are going to be even more limted, number is suppose to be about 3850 ish. So he needs to order asap since the pipe line is drying up fast.

I orded mine 6 spd works etc in torid red back in May 15th, for 1500 under MSRP. Some dealers are decent out there.

I saw the title to this thread, and thought some REAL Challengers got hurt, then I read it and seen that we were talking about the new, plastic, thing that is being called a Challenger.

I see no great loss, it is not like these things will, in 30 years, be worth anywhere near what a REAL Challenger is today.

TopHat

I met a fellow at a local car show that was in his late 60s. He had a 68 Dart that he bought brand new in 68. Looks good! He said he was still waiting for his Challenger to be delivered. I guess he might be waiting a little longer now.

-
Back