Sad Roadrunner

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
Not an A Body, but I've driven past this several times and finally stopped and knocked on the door of the house to ask if the owner minded me taking a few photos of it. A young woman answered the door and said the car was her Dad's first car, but he was dying of cancer and didn't have the money or energy to work on it. Taped to the front door of the house was a notice that oxygen was in use inside the residence and that open flames weren't permitted. I asked her if the oxygen was for her Dad and she replied that he was on it full-time because of his illness.
She also told me many people have stopped and offered to buy it, but he won't sell it. She said they think it's a Ford Torino or some other model, and not what it actually is.
Just a sad case, anyway you look at it. There's the car sitting out in the yard, slowly rusting away, and inside the house the same thing is happening to its owner.

Attachments

• IMG-20120709-00061.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG-20120709-00062.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG-20120709-00063.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG-20120709-00064.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG-20120709-00065.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG-20120709-00066.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 519
Thats very sad on both accounts....I do love the 73/74 Road Runners though.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the owner and his family.

Did you happen to check the vin.# ? Black on black would be very desirable but i have a feeling it's just a 318.

Your probably right about it having a 318 most 73/74s did. My Road Runner is a 318 car it was sold new in Columbia, South Carolina at Burnside Dodge. I also have a 73 Satellite Sebring Plus HP400 car that was sold new in South Carolina. I know it was in the Lancaster SC area for a time.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the owner and his family.

Did you happen to check the vin.# ? Black on black would be very desirable but i have a feeling it's just a 318.

I have a couple like this about 2 miles from my house. This is a very sad issue but it can be made better. Forget the car. Go back and talk Mopars with the man. 10 minutes talking with a like minded person would make his life more fulfilled. I go about every other month to visit "my" couple and we have talked everything from gardens to Ford tractors.

Go back and talk to the girl again and maybe you can talk to her father. Leave a note with them that states that if he does change his mind to give you a call. Staple a photo of your car to the note. Be very nice and not pushy, but let it be known that the car would be going to a good home. That car is worth saving.

Jack

I have a couple like this about 2 miles from my house. This is a very sad issue but it can be made better. Forget the car. Go back and talk Mopars with the man. 10 minutes talking with a like minded person would make his life more fulfilled. I go about every other month to visit "my" couple and we have talked everything from gardens to Ford tractors.

If he agrees to a visit I am sure it would make for a very bright moment for this person. An amazing friendship just might develop. Good to see people with a good heart for others. Thank you!

By the looks of those photos that car has been sitting for quite a while there wouldn't be much in floor pans left.Still with that said Ive seen some of the projects some guys have taken on here and its been pretty mind blowing work and if you have some time on your hands it would be a good project to take on ,but as dustermaniac states on his thread pretty much sums it up.

Neat car, I have a 74 Satellite Sebring Plus with a 340, my first car and I still have it! That car has a Satellite grille, RR had a black one, no biggie. The car could have a 340 (1973), 360 (1974), 400, or it could have the GTX package with a 440, you can't tell cause the hood has been painted and the stripe can't be seen. You need the VIN code, are those paper on the seat the registration? If so zoom in on them, may see the vin there. Car has some cool options though, bucket seats, console, deluxe steering wheel, hood pins, dual chrome sport mirrors, probably a rear sway bar too. These cars had the Rallye dash standard, did you notice if it had the 150 mph speedo or tach? Most 318 ones had a 120 speedo. Worth looking into though, don't give up on the owner, hopefully it can be saved!

I'll have to run back up there and take a better look @ it, my visit yesterday was brief due to time constraints.
I'm tempted to fire up my Dart and run it up there to show him, one Car Guy to another, and get him to talk about his Road Runner.

heres another ive watched sit for over a year now. they wont sell, someday it will be "restored" ya ...right

Attachments

• 0k.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 290
  • 0l.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 292
Not an A Body, but I've driven past this several times and finally stopped and knocked on the door of the house to ask if the owner minded me taking a few photos of it. A young woman answered the door and said the car was her Dad's first car, but he was dying of cancer and didn't have the money or energy to work on it. Taped to the front door of the house was a notice that oxygen was in use inside the residence and that open flames weren't permitted. I asked her if the oxygen was for her Dad and she replied that he was on it full-time because of his illness.
She also told me many people have stopped and offered to buy it, but he won't sell it. She said they think it's a Ford Torino or some other model, and not what it actually is.
Just a sad case, anyway you look at it. There's the car sitting out in the yard, slowly rusting away, and inside the house the same thing is happening to its owner.

This is very sad for sure. Bigwhip has it right though go and ask if the owner feels like talking, that will help his spirits even more.

I'll have to run back up there and take a better look @ it, my visit yesterday was brief due to time constraints.
I'm tempted to fire up my Dart and run it up there to show him, one Car Guy to another, and get him to talk about his Road Runner.

Do it!:angel2:

Heck offer to take the man for a ride if he's able. Might just make his situation a little brighter for him and you too.

-
Back