Safe to run and drive?

-
Man, what a cool deal! I would have wanted Ya as my Personal Mechanic! Lol. Now, about the time I put a hot small block in a old Plymouth, that was supposed to be " primed" and ready for paint. Stabbed Her, doing 35, car jumped to 50 or so, Then, hood popped up, folded the hinges, and hood skin and Frame! busted the front glass, and generally sucked ***. . That's what happens when Ya trust hourly guys, working for the man. No offense to hourly guys that have Pride and Stand up to the Boss.
And bent the frame1? Ouch!! Did you save the drivetrain and move on or repair the frame? I really regret not learning how to weld...

And bent the frame1? Ouch!! Did you save the drivetrain and move on or repair the frame? I really regret not learning how to weld...
The hood frame... the main unibody frame my deceased ex took care of... the entire car went to Texas, it paid for most of my Duster. Entire drive train in Duster. Man, wish I would have learned to weld too

20211025_161825.jpg

The hood frame... the main unibody frame my deceased ex took care of... the entire car went to Texas, it paid for most of my Duster. Entire drive train in Duster. Man, wish I would have learned to weld too

View attachment 1715903615
I sure wish you were local. I need an awning like that pretty bad. lol

I sure wish you were local. I need an awning like that pretty bad. lol
It's a good days work, maybe a extra few hours. Depends on if ya have everything you need on site. Wish I was closer, and gas was cheaper. I'd zip up there and build ya one. Those are 12' posts, sunk almost 3'... then cut some off the top, as I didn't have a permit, so I didn't wanna make a Goliath structure. Before I cut em down, I could have put a Lil 9' 2nd story deck on it. Used a framing laser at night to shoot bench marks for elevation, instead of a level on a stick... lol. Another thing a want to do is move 2 posts inboard a foot or so.... make it easier to turn in off the road

Last edited:
It's a good days work, maybe a extra few hours. Depends on if ya have everything you need on site. Wish I was closer, and gas was cheaper. I'd zip up there and build ya one. Those are 12' posts, sunk almost 3'... then cut some off the top, as I didn't have a permit, so I didn't wanna make a Goliath structure. Before I cut em down, I could have put a Lil 9' 2nd story deck on it. Used a framing laser at night to shoot bench marks for elevation, instead of a level on a stick... lol. Another thing a want to do is move 2 posts inboard a foot or so.... make it easier to turn in off the road
Man when I look at that lumber I see dollar signs!

Man when I look at that lumber I see dollar signs!
Well, the 4x4s I got to right as they were raising the price 5 bucks... got a voucher, and loaded up. The rafters and the 2x12s were in the home depot cull cart. 70% off, sort of, there was some damaged ones, and maybe a few more got marked down.. I get a discount on the metal too. .85 a Sf

I'm pretty fortunate in that we're way out in the county, plus, unless it's another HOUSE, they really don't give a crap about pulling a permit. lol

we drove a Honda up to Mammoth up 395 and we had to stop to check a misfire. We put 4 plugs in and away we went up 395. 10 minutes later the hood flies up, bows out around the windshield but doesnt break it! Knocks the rearview mirror clean off. We removed the hood, tossed it in the bushes and continued our journey. Get to within 5 miles off the Mammoth lakes exit and the road closed 5 minutes before we get there. White out conditions. CHP calls it closed for the entire weekend and we end up cutting across CA on some 2 lane road south of Bishop and went to Vegas instead.

Damn. I'm going up to work on a log cabin. It's 2.5 from here. The gals Daughter is in Jax. That's 3 or so from here. But another 2 from Old Town. We were talking about a Lil vacation.. lol.
Don't sweat it man. We'll get something done before the year is out, I believe. I can set one damned post at a time if I have to.

Don't sweat it man. We'll get something done before the year is out, I believe. I can set one damned post at a time if I have to.
Square your corners first, w/ some stakes and string. Then do a 6, 8, 10, or diagonal method for that. It'll help w/ the roof, big time! Man, if I was independently wealthy, I'd just jump up there and slam it together, carefully, of course!

Square your corners first, w/ some stakes and string. Then do a 6, 8, 10, or diagonal method for that. It'll help w/ the roof, big time! Man, if I was independently wealthy, I'd just jump up there and slam it together, carefully, of course!
Yeah see.......you jes went over my head. lol

Is it safe to run/drive with the block broken beneath the starter?
View attachment 1715902638

I’ve seen this ad close to where I live at and I thought about getting it to get my 72 Dart going to replace the 225 that’s in it now. Mine had a blown head gasket so I ended up removing it and disassembled it which looks to be a good rebuildable core. He was pretty much firm on the price with me but he didn’t mention the broken part on the block as well as I didn’t catch that when I first saw the ad. I might consider selling my slant six but still deciding on either keeping it or going v8

Yeah see.......you jes went over my head. lol
Lol, the 3-4-5 method of squaring. Any multiple of, 6-8-10, 9-12-15, etc. Short side-long side-diagonal(hypotenuse) = square sides/right triangle. I know You know that one, "C'mon Man!!!", lol...

Lol, the 3-4-5 method of squaring. Any multiple of, 6-8-10, 9-12-15, etc. Short side-long side-diagonal(hypotenuse) = square sides/right triangle. I know You know that one, "C'mon Man!!!", lol...
Nope. I've told yall for years, I'm stupid.

Let's save my stupidness for another thread. I don't want to sidetrack this one any farther.

Those 2 x 12's will hold up a brick chit house. A big hurricane might sway it a bit!!??
Yep price of lumber and tin is nuts.
I strapped the rafters to the 2x12s,and those have 6" x1/2" Galvanized through bolts w/ washers... anything more than a cat 2, you better leave...

A guy I used to work with was a BMW mechanic. He told me he broke off a belhousing ear from a transmission, the service manager told him to just bolt the trans up and send it on. Not hard to believe but really disgraceful.

I personally would not use it unless it was free or I had no other choice.
I think that the broke off piece will make little difference. On a high hp vehicle the bell housing could fail. Better to get another block/engine. By the way, I worked exclusively on BMW for 25 years in dealerships and independent shops. I saw more bad work (and fixed it) at dealerships , than at independent shops. Also there are 2 alignment dowels to keep the trans input shaft in alignment on BMW’s at the bottom of the block. If that was broken off the trans… bad deal. Shitty manager and tech.

-
Back