Sagging 67 needs your input

-

lw67cuda67

Reaction score
My 67 Barracuda is sagging in the rear. I have thought about having the springs rearched, JC Whitney add a leaf (not sure sould use full leaf or 20") or purchasing new springs. This is a road car and do not want a harsh ride. The springs on it now are factory so they have 40 years on them.

All opinions and experience is welcome.

Thank you

I would avoid the JC Whitney route. Some of their stuff can be okay, but you never know what you're gonna get. If you have a local shop that you trust, having yours rearched can work well. The springs on my convertible are from Espo, and I'm really happy with them.

I just finished replacing the rear springs in the 67 Dart. Got the springs from Detroit Eaton spring along with new shackles and U bolts. Also installed Edelbrock IAS shocks along with a rear sway bar while I had everything apart. Restored ride height and the ride is firm but not rough.8)

I know some of the guys despise this, BUT I installed a set of Gabriel Air Shocks to restore my slight sag.......My springs and frame looked pretty good, so I chose to just pop them in............

I have to say that they ride smooth, and I can choose a level look or a slight rake.

I like 'em. (I also installed some heavy duty 1" spacers on the wheels.....the wider track handles great in corners.) :-D

I've always had good results taking my old springs to the local spring shop. I have them rearched 1" over stock and add a leaf. When they settle I am still at stock ride height and $150 a pair can't be beat. Even get new bushings for that price.

I had air shocks on it a while ago. Yes picked up the back. Made it a lot harsher ride that I was not happy with.

I had air shocks on it a while ago. Yes picked up the back. Made it a lot harsher ride that I was not happy with.

Just took mine off for the same reason. I bet the shocks didnt get 100 miles on em'. I added a coil to the shock. It came in a kit, I dunno where I got it, it was so long ago. But there are clamps and a coil spring and you put them over the shock. The ride is farrrrr better than the air shocks. Worth a shot, but I wouldnt try to get much more than 1/2" to 3/4" of body lift from them or you will add alot of stress to the shock studs.

I'd also like to hear from someone who has added a leaf to help with sag. My original springs also have alot of sag, but I also have a second set of older springs that I can use to add to the pack. I have read on some sites that you can cut the eyes off the main spring from one set to double them up in the sagging set. Other sites recommend only adding one of the shorter springs to the pack. Yet others recommend doubling the main spring and adding a short spring. I suspect that I will at least need to double up the main spring becasue this is the one that seems to be affected the most, showing a bit of recurve.

my friend has been looking for the coil add ons but they have almost become a thing of the past. does anyone have a sourse?

I have read things also about doubling up. this is almost what the long add a leaf kit is.

I'd also like to hear from someone who has added a leaf to help with sag. My original springs also have alot of sag, but I also have a second set of older springs that I can use to add to the pack. I have read on some sites that you can cut the eyes off the main spring from one set to double them up in the sagging set. Other sites recommend only adding one of the shorter springs to the pack. Yet others recommend doubling the main spring and adding a short spring. I suspect that I will at least need to double up the main spring becasue this is the one that seems to be affected the most, showing a bit of recurve.

Here is what a lot of the Jeep Cherokee guys do. Take the main leaf off of the extra set and cut the eyelets off of it, this will make it a couple of inches shorter than the main leaf that is on it now. Be sure to grind the ends nice and smooth so that they will slide easily. Take your leaf packs apart and insert the extra leaf under your main leaf. Leaf spring clamps can be purchased at most local auto parts stores along with new u bolts. If you already have the extra springs, it won't cost more than $20-$30 to try it.

All opinions and experience is welcome

The question is do you want to do it right or on the quick and cheap? The shock mounts are not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle! If you plan on keeping the car, replace the rear springs or at least have them rebuilt.

I agree with oldkoot about getting new springs or a competent rebuild. Aim for the same leaf count and spring rate as your current springs had when new. Mopar SS springs will be stiffer and raise the back of the car a little.

Virtually anything you get is going to ride rougher than what you have because your current springs are fatigued. Adding a leaf/coil over will buy you time, but not fix the general problem.

Thank you for your input. I am in contact now with a local spring shop and they are going over the options. Sounds like rebuild is economical way but a set of new spring may be better overall.

The half leafs from J.C. Whitney worked great for me.
Took about an hour to install.
To do anything different, you wont take apart in an hour.

Here is what a lot of the Jeep Cherokee guys do. Take the main leaf off of the extra set and cut the eyelets off of it, this will make it a couple of inches shorter than the main leaf that is on it now. Be sure to grind the ends nice and smooth so that they will slide easily. Take your leaf packs apart and insert the extra leaf under your main leaf. Leaf spring clamps can be purchased at most local auto parts stores along with new u bolts. If you already have the extra springs, it won't cost more than $20-$30 to try it.

Yes, that is what some of us Cherokee guys do.. haha.

Either have 'em re-arched or buy fresh springs. Grab Tom Condran's book "Performance Handling For Classic Mopars" and talk to a good alignment guy who knows old Chrysler. There is never enough time or money to do it right, but there is always more time and money to do it again!

-
Back