Saginaw pump leak (with Borgeson bracket)

-

trebor75

Reaction score
This Saginaw pump never leaked when it was installed on my old 273 engine. But now I'm trying to use it on my 360 and to do that I bought this Borgeson bracket that mounts to the back of the P/S pump. Oil is now weeping out both bolt holes. It doesn't look like these bolts go into oil so I'm a bit confused. Should I try silicone or teflon tape? Anyone else who had the same problem?

Skärmavbild 2023-01-30 kl. 07.31.16.png

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

There are square o-ring between the can and the main pump body. The clamping from the bolt makes the seal.

It was 2011 when I least did this, so going by memory…. there are special bolts that have a hex on the center of them that gets tightened. Then the bracket slips over the threads that go past the hex. And a nuts tightens the bracket to the pump.

Last edited:
There a square o-ring between the can and the main pump body. The clamping from the bolt makes the seal.

It was 2011 when I least did this, so going by memory…. there are special bolts that have a hex on the center of them that gets tightened. Then the bracket slips over the threads that go past the hex. And a nuts tightens the bracket to the pump.
Thank you. I know the bolts you mean. But that hex in the middle would push out the pump some and make the pulleys not align.

Thank you. I know the bolts you mean. But that hex in the middle would push out the pump some and make the pulleys not align.

Those bolts have a machined flat area that flatly clamp the can.

The way you have it now, the bracket presses the can. But the whole bracket presses the can. And can isn’t that flat and stamped bracket isn’t either.

Maybe add a washer between the can and bracket. Could run the washers over a large file or sandpaper to make it flatter.

Thanks for the help. I got a few ideas to try out now.

Just wanted to say thanks for the ideas. The problem is solved. I put a washer between the bracket and the pump. It made a better seal.

-
Back