Same Heater core?

-

PA Dodger

Reaction score
Working on a '69 Dart. Are the heater cores the same in an A/C and a non-A/C car? My core in an A/C heater box is leaking. While looking for a new core I found one site that listed a different number for an A/C car.
Thanks,
Dan

Thanks Dan. What's amusing about that is the company listing two different cores was also charging more for the A/C core. My car is an A/C car. They would have gotten one over on me.

Welll, the engineers determined 2 different water pumps were required. It is possible that 2 heater cores with identical fitment would have different core tube size and flow volume though them.
I don't know, just speculating. I wouldn't toss major coins at a GPM more or less if this was the case.
On the other hand... If a difference in core construction changes air flow restriction, that could lead to fan motor failure.

Last edited:
Whatever you buy, get ready for a possible trip to your local AC/radiator shop. I bought one from Rock Auto that was not close to mine as far as where the tubes exited the box. Returned it and got one from Classic Industries, more expensive, and guaranteed to fit. Had to take it to the shop and have the inlet/outlet tubes bent into shape to fit through the firewall. Naturally, the bending caused the solder to crack so I had to have that done. Short story, my 65.00 heater core ended up costing me an extra 30.00 at the shop, plus 7.00 to return the first one to Rock Auto.

Long ago I removed the heater core in my 69 Dart Custom w/ AC. As I recall, it sits inside the AC evaporator (closer to firewall), so Dan sounds correct about same PN as non-AC. Mine was not leaking, but was getting condensate on the floor. The galvanized pan below the heater core was corroded thru. Condensate wasn't draining properly because the copper drain tube thru the firewall had been bent up, perhaps when I removed the engine (was a gomer then). Some here have speculated that the different water pump (6 vs 8 blades) between AC and non-AC cars is due to the pulleys being different diameters. Might apply just to V-8 and not slant six.

Welll, the engineers determined 2 different water pumps were required. It is possible that 2 heater cores with identical fitment would have different core tube size and flow volume though them.

Nope, that's not it -- not even a little bit. Especially not since the '69 FPC calls out the same part number for the A-body heater core with and without A/C.

On the other hand... If a difference in core construction changes air flow restriction, that could lead to fan motor failure.

It's not that, either.

-
Back