Sand-blasting cabinets?

-
What kind of tip is on it? It doesn't look to be ceramic in the pic.
Anyhow, remove the tip and see which way the air flows.
How about a better pic of the tip.
C

I have the same blaster Glenn and my compressor is only 9.7 cfm @ 90 psi and it powers it fine. Definetly sounds like a screwed up gun to me. Why don't you just take your receipt along with the gun back to Harbor freight and tell them you have it already loaded with sand and it'd be a ton of work to return it and see if they have another gun to swap you? They have been pretty good with me when I got defective stuff.

The tips are ceramic. The siphon tube is not clogged. Air comes out of the siphon tube & the tip. There is nothing clogged. My understanding is that the air pressure rushing over the siphon tube should create suction which picks up the media & "blasts" it out the tip. My gun sends air out the tip & out the siphon tube. I will try taking the tip off & changing it. I may go to Northern tool & get a new gun & try it before I give up, put everything back in the box & throw it through the window at HF.

I have the same setup and have had good service from it. I've also had decent customer service when I have gone into the store with a problem. I would almost bet they would exchange the gun with another one in the store if you just took the gun back in.
Still, take the ceramic tip out and without the tube in the sand see if you get more air flow out the nozzle end.
I would still like to see a better pic of the gun.
C

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to try to mess with it a little this afternoon. It is barely 20 out & the garage takes a while to heat up. I have had good luck at HF with returning things but they are not very close. I will see what happens with no tip & the other supplied tips later. I like to call it my "just the tip" game! I had to say it. lol

Check TP tools. They have various sand blast cabinets. And their prices are not too bad. I have a bench top and there is just not the room inside. I'm looking a one from TP that has a work area of 58"x28"x28" and comes with a vacuum for
only $1400.00.
Bill

Made some more progress yesterday. I mated the hopper and cabinet,then mounted the lid. I siliconed the hopper gaps as well.Dug around in the shop and found four nice swivel casters with plastic sockets.Amazing he crap I have scrounged up over the years!

Now I have to drill hand/arm holes and mount the legs with casters

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Too bad I don't have a pic of the one I built out of melamine board a few years ago. It has a light, an evac system, a drain/sifter, mesh to put parts on, a plexiglass viewing window, hand cutouts with rubber gloves, a lower shelf for supplies and bucket and it all rolls on casters. Big enough to put a rear end in. Too bad my crappy pressure blaster couldn't keep up.

Total cost around $200 + about 3/4 of a day's work.

Too bad I don't have a pic of the one I built out of melamine board a few years ago. It has a light, an evac system, a drain/sifter, mesh to put parts on, a plexiglass viewing window, hand cutouts with rubber gloves, a lower shelf for supplies and bucket and it all rolls on casters. Big enough to put a rear end in. Too bad my crappy pressure blaster couldn't keep up.

Total cost around $200 + about 3/4 of a day's work.

Lol,I have all this stuff to go on yet,just didnt mention it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to try to mess with it a little this afternoon. It is barely 20 out & the garage takes a while to heat up. I have had good luck at HF with returning things but they are not very close. I will see what happens with no tip & the other supplied tips later. I like to call it my "just the tip" game! I had to say it. lol

Well it has been a couple weeks but I have the cabinet working great now. The gun came with 4 different sized tips. The smallest one was already on the gun & did not work. I took it off & started trying the others & they all work so the smallest one is either bad or my compressor could not work it. I do have a couple of questions since I am new to blasting. I am doing the UCAs & LCAs for a disc brake swap. Is it ok to do the disc brake spindles? I was planning on taping off the smooth machined area that the rotor mounts on but wanted to blast the rest. I have 70 grit aluminum oxide media & Black Diamond 40/60 grit. Also I want to clean up the dust shields but they are what appears to be aluminum, is glass bead or walnut shells better for that? Also, what/when do I use the different sized tips? Thanks for all the help.

Stack all the parts in the cabinet in a pile if you can. The "blow by" will do some of the blasting for you on the parts you aren't working on just then, and it'll save time and wear/tear on your compressor.

Use lots of duct tape on the machined area of the spindles -- you don't want to blast those. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove the tape goo and then use some crocus cloth on the spindles to really clean and shine them up without removing any metal material.

Either of your medias will be fine for the aluminum dust shields. Glass bead is used if you want to achieve a "soft" finish on your metal. Since a soft finish is the last thing I need for my powders to adhere, I use Black Beauty slag for almost everything.

Can't help you out with the tip question. I only use one size. :-D

Have fun and be careful!

Stack all the parts in the cabinet in a pile if you can. The "blow by" will do some of the blasting for you on the parts you aren't working on just then, and it'll save time and wear/tear on your compressor.

Use lots of duct tape on the machined area of the spindles -- you don't want to blast those. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove the tape goo and then use some crocus cloth on the spindles to really clean and shine them up without removing any metal material.

Either of your medias will be fine for the aluminum dust shields. Glass bead is used if you want to achieve a "soft" finish on your metal. Since a soft finish is the last thing I need for my powders to adhere, I use Black Beauty slag for almost everything.

Can't help you out with the tip question. I only use one size. :-D

Have fun and be careful!

Thanks a bunch Cudachick! I am slowly learning or is it learning slowly.

The cabinet has progressed some. I'll get some pics up tommorow! Got the cabinet assembled and up on legs. The lid is now mounted as well.

I mounted an old self inflating air mattress motor to the back of the hopper.It should provide plenty of suction for dust removal. However I dont want it sucking the grit into itself and then spitting it outside,so a 318 2bbl air filter will surround it but I need to double stack them. I'll hold it down with a 318 2 bbl air housing lid!
IMG_0523.jpg

Then I cut another hole in the hopper and siliconed an old bathroom light fixture into it.The idea is to provide a sealed light that can take a bit of a whack so I'll build a small steel cage around it.

IMG_0522.jpg

I mounted the lid with a piano hinge.It's the only way to go really.It added a lot of strength to the structure.

IMG_0526.jpg

It has legs and wheels now too! Cant really see em but the wheels are a plastic set I have had forever but thier a bit sturdier than the usual plastic crap. I ended up bracing and gusseting the legs.

IMG_0525.jpg

I had a small piece of plywood kicking around that made a perfect shelf for blasting small stuff! Couple passes with the belt sander and it fit perfect!

IMG_0524.jpg

I need to wire up the light,drill a couple more small holes for sand/air lines and make some sleeves/gloves.I figure I'll wander down to the sally ann and buy an old jacket with heavy sleeves,sew on some work gloves and viola!

Another good idea I had is to use some corner bead around the edges of the lid as it's kind of rough.

-
Back