Sand-blasting cabinets?

-

hemizach

Young Blood
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a sand blasting cabinet because it looks like this young gun will have a job here soon. Anyway, it's something that I can see myself using quite a bit, no matter what the project is. I was looking at the cabinets that people set on their work benches and also the ones that stand alone on a shop floor, but I'm looking for opinions. I wanna know which ones you guys have used. I dont wanna pay an arm and a leg when I go to get one... I won't need anything fancy, just enough to get things cleaned off and stripped of paint.

Anyway, opinions?

I have a stand cabinent from harbor freight that I bought 4 yrs ago That I use allot....super cheap...I just recently installed my vaccum to it so I can see in there..other wise the dust gets bad and you can't see what you are blasting....Mine was 299.00 back then...I will go and see what they are now....others were 1000.00

Ah cool, thanks for the info. I was wondering if the harbor freight pieces were any good. If you've been using it for 4 years consistantly than it sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again

get the bigest one you can afford so you can fit things like wheels in. and i hope you have a good air compresor. a sand blaster will kill anything less than 5hp

get the bigest one you can afford so you can fit things like wheels in. and i hope you have a good air compresor. a sand blaster will kill anything less than 5hp

you are right I have a craftsman that is just about dead..and it is a 5 horse...but it has made me alot of money....I will check to see if i can get a 16 inch rim in mine I am sure i can in has a pretty good size door on it...

Yeah, the cabinet would be kept in my aunt's garage... my uncle had gotten a 50 gallon (or bigger) air compressor at one point that I would use. I know it has more than 5hp as well so I should be good to go with that one. I will go look tomorrow though to see how big it really is I guess.

you are right I have a craftsman that is just about dead..and it is a 5 horse...but it has made me alot of money....I will check to see if i can get a 16 inch rim in mine I am sure i can in has a pretty good size door on it...

That would be great if you could check that out for me. Would be nice to know how much room is in there.

I have one from Harbor Freight and it works good. I learned an important lession about sand blasting cabinets. Moisture is the enemy. My blaster didnt work at first and I couldnt figure it out. I moved it to my shop and plumbed in 2 driers inline with it and it now works flawlessly. Good luck.

That would be great if you could check that out for me. Would be nice to know how much room is in there.

I will run out right now with my camera and tape measure..be back soon..I may have a 14 inch but you will get the idea....Thats a good Idea on the driers too..

I have one from Harbor Freight and it works good. I learned an important lession about sand blasting cabinets. Moisture is the enemy. My blaster didnt work at first and I couldnt figure it out. I moved it to my shop and plumbed in 2 driers inline with it and it now works flawlessly. Good luck.

Where did you get the dryers from? And how expensive are they? If they are too much I might as well throw out the idea of getting a cabinet, lol.

We built ours years ago out of an old corn hopper,large enough to get a crossmember in,at the time to buy one that size was $1800.May have had $125 in it.Mostly labor and would need a welder.Had an old shop-vac already so that wasnt part of the cost.

Ok here we go...This is with a 14 inch rally rim...leaves plenty of room to even go to an 18 inch rim......cabinnet measures 18 3/4 wide, 34 inch deep, 14 inch little part of door...18 tall at the big top of door..if you know what i mean...Here is a few pics

brake hose 65-69 valiant 018.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 020.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 021.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 023.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 026.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 028.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 029.jpg

brake hose 65-69 valiant 025.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for grabbing those pics... looks plenty big for what I would want to use it for. Cool

Zach, as you know I do a LOT of blasting both in my cabinet and with a pot blaster. In looking at those pics chas posted and in blasting a ton of rims myself, something important to keep in mind is that your light source is at the TOP. You'll need to be able to turn that rim up on the bead side (i.e., facing the window) to be able to see what you're blasting when you want to blast the area the tire covers. In other words, you'll have to stand that rim up inside the cabinet to be able to access / see the whole thing. Once you do there's not going to be a lot of room to work, and the rim itself is going to block a lot of your light. That's only a 14" rim too -- imagine a 16" in there. It'll be so close to the top of the cabinet you'll be hard-pressed to even roll it much to move on to the next area of blasting.

Now I know you'll be mostly blasting smaller parts and rims won't play a large part in your plan, but it's a good example. Get the largest cabinet you can afford.

Check these out ... might be right up your alley. http://www.tptools.com/dg/142_Abrasive-Blasters-Kits.html. I get all my ceramic tips, gloves, etc., from them, and snagged a REALLY nice blast gun upgrade kit a couple years ago that made a big difference in my daily cabinet experience.

Definitely invest in an air line drier (often called a dessicant canister filter). You can get them at most home improvement / rural supply stores; a good one will run you upwards of $50 - $75, but it'll potentially save thousands in the long haul if you use a lot of air tools. If your uncle already has a decent compressor, chances are pretty good he already has one.

If you end up buying a commercial cabinet, the first thing you'll want to do is use it on the inside of itself. Of course, don't aim the gun at the light or your gloves, but blast off as much interior cabinet paint as you can ... otherwise, it'll end up on every part you put in there as you work. (Parts rub against the back and all of them sit on the grate, and picking up each and every piece to move it as you work isn't going to happen since people are generally lazy creatures. :-D You'll slide that stuff just like the rest of us do, and it'll get red or blue or green paint all over it defeating your blasting purposes.)

Another handy tip is to stack as much in there at once as you can and still work comfortably. While you're blasting that alternator bracket, position it in front of your stack so the pulleys, upper control arms and hardware in the cabinet with it will get residual blasting and save you time and media.

I hope all of this helps! Of course, feel free to give me a call if you want particulars about any of it. Best of luck and above all, have fun!

I have a stand cabinent from harbor freight that I bought 4 yrs ago That I use allot....super cheap...I just recently installed my vaccum to it so I can see in there..other wise the dust gets bad and you can't see what you are blasting....Mine was 299.00 back then...I will go and see what they are now....others were 1000.00

I recently purchased the same cabinet. What vacuum are you using and where did you get it?

Second that, I did the same thing plumbing in two moisture traps.

I Agree with the chick..and wen your Buddy's here you have it you will probably pay for it in about three weeks. :cheers:

I recently purchased the same cabinet. What vacuum are you using and where did you get it?
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=141554-20097-9520111&lpage=none I am using this one from lowes...it is quiet....At the top you have a plastic plug that you blocked off the hole with....mine came with a vac hook up which I lost a few years ago...so I just cut a hole in the plastic and I put the male end of vac right in there it works good.....I can get you pics if needed....I would try to get a bigger vac, like more suction power...but this one works...for the 60 dollars

One thing that hasn't been brought up is the glass window. Left alone, it will get etched so bad that you won't be able to see through it. I have a smaller Harbor Freight model (bench model). It works good but isn't large enough for wheels. To help with the glass, I bought a box of plastic from Office Depot. Not sure what they are called but used to be used with overhead projectors. The plastic would lay on the machine and the teacher would write on the plastic. Anyhow, I tape 3 sheets of these plastic things across the inside of the glass. I can sandblast for 2-3 hours before they need changing. Much cheaper than buying glass. Plexiglass wouldn't hold up either...
C

One thing that hasn't been brought up is the glass window. Left alone, it will get etched so bad that you won't be able to see through it. I have a smaller Harbor Freight model (bench model). It works good but isn't large enough for wheels. To help with the glass, I bought a box of plastic from Office Depot. Not sure what they are called but used to be used with overhead projectors. The plastic would lay on the machine and the teacher would write on the plastic. Anyhow, I tape 3 sheets of these plastic things across the inside of the glass. I can sandblast for 2-3 hours before they need changing. Much cheaper than buying glass. Plexiglass wouldn't hold up either...
C

good Idea...Mine came with plastic stuff that goes on the inside of the glass...

Guess I'll chime in. I bought mine from Tractor Supply, for just small parts, but it will fit a 15" wheel just fine with some room to manuveur. I adapted it for a Shop Vac, since the dust made it impossible to see. On the plus side, since someone brought it up, Tractor Supply also sells tear-offs for the window and extra lenses for the light, which is what had me sold on it. No sense in spending money on something I wouldn't be able to find support for. Can't remember the price I spent for it.
I built a dedicated bench for mine at a working height I could live with to make it easier on the back. And since the media drain plug was on the bottom I also built a large hole into the bench with an old metal funnel dedicated under the cabinet, so just pop the plug and watch it all drain into a bucket.

i got a east wood off craigs list guy had it for 3 years never used it. measures inside 48 wide 28 deep 28 high when doing smaller parts do not need vacum sys i use glass my light is out side of cabinet shines through window works excelent i have smaller one 2' 14" 14" used once could not see in cabinet at all when blasting get biggest one you can got east wood one for 500 dollars

-
Back