Sandblasting Services

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Morning everyone, as some of you know I have been doing my own sandblasting of my parts, and was getting frustrated with being limited to small parts. Anyway I made my own cabinet which is quite a bit larger, which allows me to do some good sized pieces. Cabinet is 51"W X 22"H X 2O" D. While building the cabinet, I thought that I should see if there is a need for any of our members on here, especially the Canadian ones that need parts media blasted, either big or small.
I would like to thank Leanna(CudaChick1968) for her advice, lucky me got to speak to her on the phone to discuss this, and from our conversation she offered me nothing but full support and advice. I can tell you that she is the "salt of the earth" and we as FABO members are lucky to have her here with us. :love4: This "venture" of mine is by no means meant as competition (like I could be competition anyway!! LOL). But it is more of a service I would like to offer to our Canadian members where shipping the parts to be blasted just doesnt make sense to send to Leanna, as well as having to deal with broker and shipping bs. Larger parts can be shipped via Greyhound and smaller ones can be shipped however you want to ship.

I have used both sand and recycled glass on my parts that I have blasted and they have turned out really well. I plan on "experimenting" with more of my own parts to gain both more knowledge and experience. Currently I have 2 $hitty paying p/t jobs, while I search for a job related to my college education, so hopefully this will also help me pay some of the bills, while at the same time providing me with some "therapy" as my resto has some what stalled due to lack of $$. I plan on posting pics of what I have blasted, as well as my cabinet build, but am just putting the final cosmetic tweaks on the cabinet. I also want to thank Mike (2darts) who is doing some stickers for me, I spoke with him on the phone as well and is an awesome guy that is more than willing and eager to do some stickers for the cabinet!!:thumbrig:

Again, thanks leanna for the time on the phone(I was only wearing boxers at the time) LOL. I look forward to and appreciate any inquiries. I will update this thread with my cabinet and parts pics soon. If there are any members with inquiries, feel free to email me, pm me or give me a call. Here is a pic of the prototype for the cabinet, lemme know you think.

Thanks
4spdragtop
[email protected]

Attachments

• my sb cabinet.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 402
I thought that was photoshopped when you sent it to me the other day Steve!!!!!

Holy crap..................... LMAO (You mean to tell me that's real?)

Anyway, I wish you the absolute best of luck with your new endeavor and hope you get buried up to your neck in blasting media errrrrrrrrrrr a bunch of parts to work on. :-D It was a pleasure to talk with you too.

What color were the boxers??

hey L, yeah it was photoshopped, Mike (2darts) came up with the idea and sent me the pic. Thanks for the well wishes too, oh the boxers were kinda custom (saran wrap) I was exercising and the sw helps keep the sweat in

Good luck with your new Venture. Didn't you do a thread about making a cabinet out of a chest freezer?

Thanks! Yeah the prototype is the one with "Legs"

I need to go back and reread it. to see if I missed any details. Being on disability I can't afford to buy one. Mind if I hit you up for help when I find a freezer?

Looks good but give us more photos to include directions on how you made this cabinet. to include a list of parts used and a cost of what it took to make it?
Looking to do teh same thing I have an old freezer in my garage that I was looking a tconverting but just don't know if it will work?

Hey Steve, if the new blasting biz doesn't launch, it looks like you could make some good money selling the plans to build your cabinet. :-D

Give it a little time and keep bumping this thread my friend ... before long you'll have metal showing up from everywhere.

Hey Steve, if the new blasting biz doesn't launch, it looks like you could make some good money selling the plans to build your cabinet. :-D

Give it a little time and keep bumping this thread my friend ... before long you'll have metal showing up from everywhere.

Thanks Leanna, you're a darlin'!!

Anyone need some done for free?? To help promote my venture, I will blast a set of vc's and air breather n/c!!

I just did a phone job at a high end blast supplier and bent his ear for 30 minutes on blasting tips. He gave me a few and Ill pas them along. >Garnet or AL oxide is really good stuff to blast with, 30-40X passes before its used up!
>Black Beauty coal slag is cheap but breaks up on impact so you cant reuse it and its also not real good for the old lungs as well as sand that contains free silica, really bad for the lungs as it stays in there, no way out.
>Glass bead is good for soft parts, ie. AL or brass as well as plastic media, walnut shells, soda.
>CFM is key, and dont short yourself on quick connects. Run hose to barb from tank to gun as the quick connects are too restrictive.
>Ball valve at the tank is a great regulator.
>Line the cabinet with 1/8 neoprene sheet rubber, all 4 walls. Your cabinet will outlast you.
> fresh air intake straight across from the evacuator (shop vac or other low pressure device). Stuff 3M green scratch pad type filter medium in the intake and exhaust pipes to keep dust in control.
>Use non laminated pick up hose for media. That clear water hose is pretty good as you can see the media in it. laminated hoses can abrade inside and end up thinning and collapsing.
>Run the supply line out through 40 feet of coiled 3/8 copper tubing in a bucket of water. The cooling effect will keep moisture from fouling your media in the gun. Change water when it gets hot. Some even run the supply though an A/C condenser with a fan attached. Anything to cool the hot pressurized air.
This old timer would have talked me into OT but I still have his number when I start to build mine. I mentioned Harbor Freight and he 'bout tossed me out of his shop ! HaHa...

I tell ya Steve.. IF your blasting cabinet really looked like that, I can see why you'd be wanting to make this sandblasting a full-time gig!

There's always a need for these services, and I'm sure if you offer it through some of the local car clubs, there will be many pieces showing up for the treatment. Especially up here, when a scotchbrite just ain't gonna clean it up.

Grant

I tell ya Steve.. IF your blasting cabinet really looked like that, I can see why you'd be wanting to make this sandblasting a full-time gig!

There's always a need for these services, and I'm sure if you offer it through some of the local car clubs, there will be many pieces showing up for the treatment. Especially up here, when a scotchbrite just ain't gonna clean it up.

Grant

I've changed it a bit...put her on casters to make her roll...LOL. I have made a few changes and will post some pics once I get it cosmetically finished

Thanks for the advice all!!

Hey Oltiredrebel, maybe get a ship quote thru USPS, it might not be as much as you think, and I will even etch primer and do a nice rattle can if you like:lol:

I've changed it a bit...put her on casters to make her roll...LOL. I have made a few changes and will post some pics once I get it cosmetically finished

Thanks for the advice all!!

Hey Oltiredrebel, maybe get a ship quote thru USPS, it might not be as much as you think, and I will even etch primer and do a nice rattle can if you like:lol:

Thanks for the offer. But I would like to do stuff like that myself since I am in a power wheelchair.

Well here is pretty much the finished product, I have a few more surprises to put on, hook up the lights and thats about it. I put on some of my extra emblems I had kicking around to add to my Mopar themed cabinet. My paint job aint perfect....maybe a 20 footer LOL

Attachments

• DSCF4623 (Medium).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF4620 (Medium).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF4619 (Medium).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF4618 (Medium).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF4616 (Medium).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 225
I am very happy with the way the cabinet works! Here are some samples of some work I have done. I love turning rusty stuff shiny!! Lemme know if I can do anything...I am just starting out so prices are reasonable!!

Attachments

• DSCF4701 (Medium).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF4699 (Medium).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF4698 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF4683 (Medium).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF4678 (Medium).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF4672 (Medium).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF4670 (Medium).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF4642 (Medium).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF4639 (Medium).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF4702 (Medium).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 182
REALLY nice work Steve! I could use a blaster like you around here. Too bad you're way the hell up in Canada. :-D Muahhhhhhhhhhhhh

-
Back