Satin/flat/rat rod black paint jobs. Let's see 'em!

-

pachink13

Reaction score
Title says it.

All black, some accent colors are welcome, but mostly "murdered out" black.

Ratrod lookin cars, or super clean all black, see what I saying?

Or maybe Black on gold trim? Sounds sleek.

Even blacked out bumpers and trim.

It's the style I wanna go with for my 74 DS.

Show me what you got, go!

Not a Mope, but a buddy wanted this thing painted with satin black John Deere implement paint. So I did. In a two car garage. with dirt blowing everywhere. Actually didn't look bad..

Attachments

• B and A.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,012
Though not black, I just picked this up.Poor crappy primer job.I like the satin look, and if all goes well it may end up a darker grey.

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 753
index.php

Temporary solution but it looked pretty good

Just got mine all stripped to bare metal and in black epoxy primer two weeks ago, so here's how it is sitting as of now. Body work is done, blocked and black epoxy coated again on the entire rear end, roof and driver's quarter panel. That was the worst of it. everything else is pretty straight and only needs a few small patches here and there.

Nice to have it all one color finally!

Attachments

• IMGP0125.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 751
I've thought about throwing a weekend satin black paint job on my Dart. Sure beats the hell out of having $10k and three years tied up in one. Here is a Dart I found on line.

dodge_dart_67_black_4%20Medium_zpscq4gvjqy.jpg

My buddys old 74 Dart Custom from Highschool.

Attachments

• 7188550048_large.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 602
A little motor oil rubbed in the paint it looked like this! :wack:

Attachments

• 37556_102636666457241_6645769_n.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 656
Loving it! They all look pretty sweet. Yeah I don't have money or time to have it sit in a shop for too much $$$ once it's finally running. Anyone got Anymore?

Mine has a flourescent green 318, so I'm thinking the rest of the car black. So I can lean on it and stuff and not worry about messing it up. Daily driver too.

I'll get pics of it once it's back from getting the wiring harness done.

Before and after..

Attachments

• 20150117_172955.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 590
  • 20150201_162410.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 610
Just got mine all stripped to bare metal and in black epoxy primer two weeks ago, so here's how it is sitting as of now. Body work is done, blocked and black epoxy coated again on the entire rear end, roof and driver's quarter panel. That was the worst of it. everything else is pretty straight and only needs a few small patches here and there.

Nice to have it all one color finally!

Hey that's looking great! Nice to have it back to 'all one color' eh?

This topic, the trend of "Rat Rod Black" or similar, reminds me of what my dad said was popular when he was in high school. Guys would take a perfectly good paint job and cover it with primer! He said the idea behind that was to make it seem more like a "hot rod project car" in the middle of its transformation! (That was in the 50's)

Couple pics of My '72 Dart in Hot Rod black with Gloss "ghost" stripe .

Attachments

• IMG_1072.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_1073.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 489
A suggestion - tell us what paint is used.
SPI makes a nice deep flat black epoxy primer with UV inhibitor for potential use as a topcoat.
I imagine Hot Rod Flatz makes black.
Ordinary primer won't handle much sun.

I've thought about throwing a weekend satin black paint job on my Dart. Sure beats the hell out of having $10k and three years tied up in one. Here is a Dart I found on line.

dodge_dart_67_black_4%20Medium_zpscq4gvjqy.jpg

Thinking along these lines, agreed. Done the show car thing, maintenance was a pain to me.(like the gloss black "ghost stripe", though..).

Hey guys,

My boss has a Corvair with a rhino line paint job, he said they mixed some red paint in it and cost em like 1,300 and it's bitchin! Super easy to clean, super durable. Flat red paint kinda rad rod lookin. It's pretty cool.

What do ya guys think?
I'd either stick with black or a flat white. Too hot out here for black I think.

-
Back