Saving a 71 340 for my V24 Duster

-

Jim Ward

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is not the number matching motor for my rare 71 V24 Duster but it is the closest motor I could find. The block was cast 8 29 70 and the car left Hamtramack on 11-17-70. The motor sat outside without an intake for many years and when I tore it down there was a serious mouse house around the windage tray. The motor was going to the scrap yard and I gladly paid the $200 the guy was asking. I posted this thread to encourage others to try to save whatever you can. My diamond in the rough that to me helps me complete my dream car.

F93E9CC3-B234-4F03-9783-56B2184509DF.jpeg

2C92778B-A752-4D9A-802E-BE296F534354.jpeg

A2679119-7D8D-421B-A816-4DCA7BF9B550.jpeg

EFFCB657-77DE-4D7D-8EED-ECFB5E2FBC69.jpeg

3E5ADE80-8F2D-44CB-8A93-CD0BDB9B9F0C.jpeg

9454CCCE-74BB-45D0-9388-39C7EDE84DE7.jpeg

3A31F69D-8264-474B-99D3-7B541D31CBA3.jpeg

6BEEDCC3-0288-41E0-A240-DC5F149F1260.jpeg

Wow, she cleaned up nice. I recently saved a 66 440 block that was full of water. It was in a 71 roadrunner with an air grabber and apparently water was getting in through the air grabber. The valley pan rusted through and filled the engine with water.
I ended up boring the engine out and two holes needed sleeves. How are the bores in the 340?

This block was a standard bore block when I got it and will clean up at .030. My biggest concern was the lifter bores cause the lifters were rusted to the bores. The bores are able to be honed and all is good!

The block was hot tanked and shot peened. It is set to be test bored next week.

Those shot peen machines are the best way to clean a block. My previous machinist (rip) had a machine that spun the block and a propane flame would burn all the grease and oil off. Then it went in to get pelted with steel shot. When it was done it literally looked like a fresh casting.

This block was a standard bore block when I got it and will clean up at .030. My biggest concern was the lifter bores cause the lifters were rusted to the bores. The bores are able to be honed and all is good!

Check and see if your machine shop can bush the lifter bores if needed.

They do not need it but I don’t believe you can Bush the lifter bores on a 340 can you?

at least you will know the lifters will rotate on break in !!:lol:

There is no break in with a full roller motor ;)

That's my favorite lifter story. Now I just need some cookies and milk before bed, knowing there won't be any nightmares in Lifterville.

Right. I had to mock everything up to get the length. I had to have them custom made just like the pistons and cam.....as you may or may not know parts are not that easy to get these days....

I have been there but never raced there. I am closer to mid-Michigan and that typically where I go.

I have been there but never raced there. I am closer to mid-Michigan and that typically where I go.

Race up there too sometimes. If you live in Rockford, the track at Martin is just as close( and all highway) and WAY nicer than Stanton.
Like your cars, just dont remember having seen them around!

I am very familiar with the roads and distance to both tracks. Actually Stanton is an easier drive from my house. I also like to race there better too. I have not had either of my green cars down the track yet. The last car I raced was a big block 74 duster that I have since sold. If you ever see these cars please come introduce yourself I’d be happy to meet you.

-
Back