Saving a Swinger

-

DarthSwinger

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

My name is Travis. I am 24, and have been a mopar guy from the beginning. '68 Charger first for many years, then later a '59 Saratoga. Many other great American play things have come and gone, as well as some great classic imports like a '74 2002 Tii and an '84 GTV6, but Mopars have always been special for reasons I'm sure I don't have to explain here. :)

I am on a trip at the moment, traveling up and down the eastern US, and I have been looking for cool Mopars so I could get back into it. I looked at a '68 Barracuda, a '74 Duster, a '70 Charger, and 1969 Super Bee. All interesting, but they were either misrepresented or rotted, not the right starting point for what I wanted.

I was staying with my Uncle in NC for a bit and we stumbled on one the old fashioned way. Sitting off to the side of someone's yard, in ruts, air leaking out of the tires, and accumulating leaves and mildew from the last 8 months. It was solid, fired up pretty easily, was mostly complete, and I immediately liked it. It was this 1974 Dart Swinger.

It's a 318, column shift car, with some go-fast goodies already on to wake it up a little. An edelbrok 4bbl, weiand intake, some kind of headers. The paint is non original, and aside from one area on the drivers side quarter next to the trunk lid where the prep work wasn't as good, it cleaned up really well as you'll see. I drove it home about 20 miles with only mild overheating, first thing we have to tackle is a clogged radiator. Then finishing the exhaust from the mufflers back. In my travels I picked up a bench seat from another forum member here a couple days ago and shoved it in the 330i along with my clothes for a month, camping gear, dog and dog accessories. When I get back to NC I can go about fixing up the rest. I want this car to be a nicely cleaned up driver, and keep improving little things as I enjoy it. It won't be hiding anymore.

URL=http://s283.photobucket.com/user/Twsti07/media/IMG_9054_zpsc65f1f46.jpg.html]
IMG_9054_zpsc65f1f46.jpg
[/URL]

I shall enjoy this, and I'll be coming to you guys for questions and advice.

Thanks everyone. It's good to be back. Here's the Charger and the Saratoga. The Charger I bought out of Texas and slowly replaced old broken stuff with new better stuff until it was a 500 stroker, 4 speed, with 3.91s in the back etc etc. 6 years, and then someone ran a light and ended it. The Saratoga was found driving by a field in Colorado. Hooked it up to a jump, and it fired right up. Super smooth, then drove it home, then spent many weekend cleaning it. BIIIIIG car.

Thanks everyone. It's good to be back. Here's the Charger and the Saratoga. The Charger I bought out of Texas and slowly replaced old broken stuff with new better stuff until it was a 500 stroker, 4 speed, with 3.91s in the back etc etc. 6 years, and then someone ran a light and ended it. The Saratoga was found driving by a field in Colorado. Hooked it up to a jump, and it fired right up. Super smooth, then drove it home, then spent many weekend cleaning it. BIIIIIG car.

Love the Saratoga! Do you still have it? What did it have for an engine?

Welcome to the site Travis ! Nice score on the 74 and you had some really nice rides before that too !

Welcome to the site Travis ! Nice score on the 74 and you had some really nice rides before that too !

Thanks! It's a shame I can't keep them all. Traveling so much it seems I leave cars all over the place. I'd love to find myself somewhere to put them, and start keeping a couple and learning the ins and outs of all of it, body and paint, fab, etc. I love this stuff, but I have much to learn as far as building a whole car on my own.

So should I start a thread in member restorations for updates or something else? I've been getting the radiator fixed up, got a bench seat back in it, etc. Trying to get it all sorted.

Nowadays she's doing much better. Radiator, heater, shocks, exhaust, carpet, keystones, brakes, alignment, lots of driving. Cold today, but better than sinking into ground.

-
Back