SB 360 which cam

-
Would the xe274 have more power than voodoo!If it does I'll give it try,I know its a chevy cam lobe!I want to keep more torque but it should sound little more choppy!

This is the intresting thng about cams and the power they make.

What is more power? More torque, more HP? How about where it comes in, how the curve is?

The thing you should know about cams and there specs is what works in one engine will not work in another engine built the same. Alot has to do with the target of the builder and the owner of the engine not to mention what car it is going into...and for what performance arena?

What works for you will not work for another.

To simply say, max HP is an invite to more camshaft choices and bigger ones at that. Nevermind the custom grind choices.

Well, How bout between voodoo 60403 cam or xe274 cam?This what I've decided on for rest of combo, 650 dp with airgap intake,974 heads that are gonna get ported and flowed with mp heavy duty rockers and springs to match and valve job,Boss Hogg 2200-2800 stall with 727,8.75 rear with Auburn sure grip and between 3.73 or 3.91 gears but has 8.25 with 3.55 gear in truck right now!So which cam!

I was gonna say put one in so big the lobes just will clear the cam bearings. lol

That Voodoo works VERY VERY well. I have a couple 360's out there running them and zero complaints--great sound, stable idle, and driveable. Oh and more power than they have a right to produce. J.Rob

I had a 77 Dodge W-150 with a similar build to yours, 360 +030, 107 pistons, approx same compression but at 4500 ft elev, j -heads w/bowl work 600 Holley and I tried a Comp cam but had the Comp lifters fail regularly So, I got fed up and replaced it with the Lunati 60403 and it was perfect (for me) with the heavy pickup.

Well went up to machine shop and talk to him and he made me a deal on edelbrock rpm heads!So I already had comp cam ultra promagnum roller rockers and was gonna order 60403 cam but he sat and figured my combo and decided on solid!The cam I ordered is Comp cams XS274 cam with 502/511 #20-230-4!Anybody run this cam?

Well gonna use the edelbrock heads and roller rockers on my next build which i explained to machine shop and they are gonna do block work on it too!It is a '70 318 block but am going with 390 stroker kit!So the 360 is gonna stay with voodoo cam,ld340 intake and jheads!

Yeah i stuck because i have both!This is a truck!I first started to build this truck to drive and good power but bought the aluminum heads and rockers for good deal but if i build it with the solid cam, dont know bout the driveability!

I was gonna build truck to be fast but now in little bit of money pinch and wanna mild it down and truck came with '70 318 with ld340 intake and i decided to build the 318 stroker later,use the airgap and aluminum heads for it!Maybe find abody for it later!Kinda not liking this machine shop because they keep pushing me to use the 360!What would you guys do!Name of machine shop is Precision Machine Service in Gatlinburg,TN!

Yeah i stuck because i have both!This is a truck!I first started to build this truck to drive and good power but bought the aluminum heads and rockers for good deal but if i build it with the solid cam, dont know bout the driveability!

A solid cam has no drivabilty issue's to be comcerned with. The duration of the cam is the power band indicator which should not be to far removed from the drivetrains abilty to work well with it.

Considering yu have 4.10 gears and a 28 inch tire, the duration could go up a good bit. The thing that would keep the duration down would be a low stall converter and vehicle weight.

Between a Dodge truck (Which one now?) and a possible "A" body car, the vehicle weight could be a 2,000lbs. difference. A ton of metal is a lot of weight and the cam could see a jump in duration by 20*'s at .050 and work wonderfully in the lighter "A" body car.

Got everything but the voodoo cam and machine shop keeps steering me away for comp!

They must have had a bad experiance with Comp cam's products.

I was gonna build truck to be fast but now in little bit of money pinch and wanna mild it down and truck came with '70 318 with ld340 intake and i decided to build the 318 stroker later,use the airgap and aluminum heads for it!Maybe find abody for it later!Kinda not liking this machine shop because they keep pushing me to use the 360!What would you guys do!Name of machine shop is Precision Machine Service in Gatlinburg,TN!

I'd stick to my guns on what "I" wanted to use. IF there so pushy to the point where you start getting that dark cloud over your head almost like a bully is berating you, then, I'd find someone else and let them know well after your gone.

If I can give my two cents worth you've already answered your own question.Just got to put the pieces together.A truck weighting 4000 - 4500lbs that you want to drive all the time.I'd use the 360 and go with the Voodoo,I installed the xe274 in a guys duster works good but less torque(remember truck).Cut the guides and install the recommended 120 lbs springs and your rockers will work, just bad factory ratio, more accurate would be better, but not needed.Put the ld340 and the 650 on and enjoy,up the rear jets if you want,for a fat WOT, but I wouldn't worry about the 6000 rpm range so much.Use the 2500 - 2800 stall with 3.55 or 3.91's depending on rear tire size.For a good working street motor make sure the timing is around 10 -12 BTDC and 32-34 full mechanical,WITH vacuum advance working.Just my opinion but I've used the .484 mopar cam and find it's to big for a good daily driver,with poor bottom end.I've also used a 280/480 comp cam and it worked good but had a narrow powerband in the upper range,not what I'd like in a truck.Hope some of this helps.

This is a truck!

I am buildin a truck right now too. 83 D150. Was a super six and 4 speed with 3.55s. Buildin a nice 318 for it. Goin with Magnum heads and will blueprint CR at 9.2. I want it to sound nasty. Since the OD has a first gear ratio of 3.09, I went with a cool Chet Herbert grind. .480-.495/230-235 @ ,050 on 106 LSA. It's a truck and I want it to sound gnarly. With a thermoquad and with a final drive ratio of 2.52 cause of the OD, 20 MPG still ain't outta sight, plus it'll still have plenty of bottom end grunt. I won't be afraid to even tow sumffin with it.

I am sorry about the confusion as now I am set on what to do cause I bought a 74 duster and now I will run the eddy heads and solid cam and leave my 318 in truck!This is my first abody so now Im excited!

Attachments

• 0124121029.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 85
-
Back