SB Advice.

-

Viceroy125

Reaction score
I'm just gnna get straight to the advice I need. I've got a 73 Duster. There's a 318 that's sat for 18 years but still runs like a champ. There's a guy at my church that has a 76 dodge 3/4 ton with a 360 that he's willing to give me the engine if I put in my 318 in his truck for him. The 360 turns over but I have yet to here it run. So here's where I need the advice. I wanna be able to drive my duster whenever I want and wherever I want. So in other words I want it to be more the just a weekend driver. Yet I don't want to break the wallet to bad on the cost on gas. Yet to be able to the power to easily get up and go. What would you guys do?

Without being able to determine the condition of the 360, you are buying a "pig in a poke."

One problem you'll have with swapping these engines is the converter balance. The 360 requires a weighted converter --or an aftermarket flex plate from someone line B&M which IS weighted for the 360, where the 318 uses a "neutral balance" converter. You CAN just know the weights off the pu converter, and buy a BM plate for your car

The second problem is oil pans. Neither pan will fit the other engine, IE your car is front sump, the pickup is rear sump, but a 360 has a smaller "half moon" at the rear of the pan than a 318. I DID successfully make a jig, years ago, and cut a section out of two pans, swap them, and create two new pans, IE a 340 rear sump pan for my Landcruiser, and a 360 front sump pan which went in my 70 RR If you can weld/ braze sheet metal, and have a bare block to use as a stabilizing jig, have at it.

Other than that, most everything else is a bolt in/ swap.

Ask yourself WHY does this guy want to do this? I see no good reason for downsizing a pu from a 360 to a 318, unless the 360 is ready for an overhaul --- or worse.

I'm just gnna get straight to the advice I need. I've got a 73 Duster. There's a 318 that's sat for 18 years but still runs like a champ. There's a guy at my church that has a 76 dodge 3/4 ton with a 360 that he's willing to give me the engine if I put in my 318 in his truck for him. The 360 turns over but I have yet to here it run. So here's where I need the advice. I wanna be able to drive my duster whenever I want and wherever I want. So in other words I want it to be more the just a weekend driver. Yet I don't want to break the wallet to bad on the cost on gas. Yet to be able to the power to easily get up and go. What would you guys do?

Personally, you already know the condition of your engine and if it's gonna be strictly a driver i would pass. You can always add a good exhaust, maybe a 4bbl intake and carb, tune the timing and have a nice driver. With that said, if you want to build a strong street car and race on occasion? the 360 may be a better choice.

A 360 would be nice but I would have to hear it run and drive. Personally, I would keep the 318 you have :glasses7:

I would do a 4bbl 600-650 swap, mild cam 262 and headers or 340/360 manifds with duals on the 318 = 250+hp would be good on gas, reliable and easier than swapping 2 engines.

Well with the details I just found out with putting the 360 in I don't think I want that much hassle. I think I'll be keeping my lil 318 around for quite a bit longer. Thanks you guys!!!! This is by far the best site I could ask for. Especially for someone young and new to the world of mopar.

Well Ive been thinking and both blocks are the same. Besides bigger bore, heads, etc. Here's my first question. Don't both engines just need 5 quarts of oil? If so couldnt you just swap the oil pans to make them fit in their new homes?

Well Ive been thinking and both blocks are the same. Besides bigger bore, heads, etc. Here's my first question. Don't both engines just need 5 quarts of oil? If so couldnt you just swap the oil pans to make them fit in their new homes?
Yes you would have to find a 360 car oil pan.318 is different than 360.Just sayin..:D

4spdragtop: that's what I plan on doing. I just had that last question that I wanted to ask really to see your guys thoughts.

The best swap for cheap power is to get a low mileage 5.9 magnum ($400-$800) with a 650 and a airgap they dyno 320hp with headers probably 300hp with manifolds add a healthy cam you got 400hp. I got 5.9 Jeep it pulls pretty hard in a light A body with a free flowing intake and exhaust would be a rocket.

-
Back