SB and A body motor plate

-

project360

Reaction score
so i picked up a motor plate local, comp engineering... after looking at mounting it......

the plate is ment for the motor to be centered in the engine bay, and the motor sits in the stock location... about 2 in. left, what gives with this plate!!

so i picked up a motor plate local, comp engineering... after looking at mounting it......

the plate is ment for the motor to be centered in the engine bay, and the motor sits in the stock location... about 2 in. left, what gives with this plate!!

Motorplate does centre the motor...in a chassis car where the mounts are symmetrical. I have one in my Anglia.
You'll have to trim one side to suit the A-body application.

ya, i plan on cutting a couple inches off the pass. side to get it to set on the frame correctly, i just would have figured they cut a plate with all the correct mounting holes and cut outs that it would fit correctly with out modification.

ya, i plan on cutting a couple inches off the pass. side to get it to set on the frame correctly, i just would have figured they cut a plate with all the correct mounting holes and cut outs that it would fit correctly with out modification.

To my knowledge, this is a universal part, not an A-body specific one (there's only one LA motorplate listed on their website) so its designed to be trimmed to suit application. The plate has its mounting holes centered for that reason.

Motor Plates are generally designed for use in tube chassis cars and normally don't have pre-drilled holes except where it mounts to the engine. :sad1:

Rickster

Motor Plates are generally designed for use in tube chassis cars and normally don't have pre-drilled holes except where it mounts to the engine. :sad1:

Rickster

Yeah, like I said, I have one in my full chassis Anglia and had to cut the same amount off of both ends. It's about the same width as the valve covers now...:axe:

...i just would have figured they cut a plate with all the correct mounting holes and cut outs that it would fit correctly with out modification.

All the correct mounting holes to mount the plate to what? There's nothing on a stock A-body to mount a plate to.
The only holes that should be drilled would be to match the water-pump-to-block hole pattern. You have to fabricate everything else.

All the correct mounting holes to mount the plate to what? There's nothing on a stock A-body to mount a plate to.
The only holes that should be drilled would be to match the water-pump-to-block hole pattern. You have to fabricate everything else.

Read it again...he said they DID cut a plate with all the correct holes and cut-outs (water pump mounts and fuel pump clearance), but he seems to be under the impression it was specifically designed for an A-body so the design would fit the engine bay without cutting (I hope he figured fabrication of mounts would be needed in any case!). Maybe the 'local' shop told him it was designed for that purpose?

-
Back