SB Crane Retrofit Roller Lifter Issue

-
I,too, have these exact same parts,and questioned every MOPAR site I could find to no avail. I had Delta cams in Tacoma cut my cam down from a 699641 to 621 specs.I just put the bottom end together last weekend, and the cam in today.I only dropped 2 sets of lifters in to check the fit, and both were well down the lifter bore, with at least .200" to the galleries. If any one is interested, I'll put all the lifters in and take some pictures to post. Just FYI, my block is a '70. Paul

Paul, I'd like to see a picture. I'd also like to hear how all your lifters look. Mine are nice and deep on the passenger's side of the engine. The driver's side is where they are shallow. But with the new custom ground lower base circle cam I now have a set that will work.

There is another guy over on Mopats with the same Crane parts in a '73 340 block. He has oil pressure problems and the valves are noisy due to lifter bleed off. He called Crane and now Crane says people are calling in reporting problems with the 340 blocks. He tells me that Crane told him he needs to bush his lifter bores and they won't give him his money back. Summit won't give him his money back either because the car was driven 8 miles and "the parts are used".

I did look into the Comp Cams roller lifters. Comp says the specs are 1.425" from the bottom of the roller wheel to the top oil groove line. The Cranes are 1.427" so if I went with the Comp lifters I would have .002" more oil groove coverage. I don't think its significant enough for me to mess with. So I am going to run what I have since all the oil grooves are covered. I have been asking around and have been told there shouldn't be any problems by a few very knowledgeable engine builders.

Why not prime the motor with the intake off to see if there is any leakage?

I'll definitely be doing that for sure. Right now my block is fresh out of the machine shop and bare so I don't have enough parts on it yet to run the oil pump. I plan to run the pump and turn the motor and watch the lifters to see what happens. Should be ok but I'll be checking any way.

He called Crane and now Crane says people are calling in reporting problems with the 340 blocks. He tells me that Crane told him he needs to bush his lifter bores and they won't give him his money back. Summit won't give him his money back either because the car was driven 8 miles and "the parts are used".

Yeah, those retro-fit no mods required drop in rollers aren't quite what they advertise. I feel sorry for Crane when some pitbull attorney gets hold of this one. I see them in litigation for a LONG time and getting their arse handed to them.

Bottom line:
The part DOES NOT work as advertised.

That would be my comment if they told me no dice on a refund.

Since the parts are under $2500-5000, small claims court is an option.

Any one know if I can run my oil pump without push rods installed? Wondering if the oil pressure will push the lifters out of their bores??

Here is a video while running the oil pump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BL1BS24hXc

I didn't show this in the video but if I pull the lifter out of its bore slightly oil squirts about 6 feet up.

All the lifters bleed off some oil at max lift but this one does bleed off more then the others. But I think its ok.

I was just thinking that about the other lifters and how far oil would squirt up and out. 6 ft. !?!?!? **** star stuff baby!!!!!!!!

How many PSI's did the drill pump up.

Keep an eye on that guage when you driving. Let us know. My future cam purchase(s) are waiting on your discoveries.

All the other lifters cover their oil groove well so they have much much less oil coming out of them. I am going to buy a gauge and hook it up and test it again.

I hooked up a mechanical gauge and oil pressure is around 77-79 PSI during that test. If I put that leaky lifter at max lift and jiggle it around, which makes it leak more, then the gauge reads a steady 75 psi. If I pull a lifter completely out of the driver's side then I get 45 psi of oil pressure. If I pull a lifter completely out on the passenger's side I get 0 pressure. But all the lifters on the passenger's side are nice and deep in their bores, no issues over there. The lifter in question is on the driver's side.

#5 exhaust lifter leaks worse so this isn't going to work. Either need to have the lifter bores bushed, smaller cam, or small base circle. Flat tappet would work but I don't want to go that route.

All my lifters are like this picture. Since my cam was reground, my base circle must be a little smaller. The pencil points to a lifter at max lift. Paul

DSCN0161.jpg

Thanks for posting picture. Those oil grooves are well covered. How much lift on that cam? Do you have a picture of the cam's base circle?

Brian, who sold me the cam, is gonna call Comp on Monday and see if we can have the cam reground with a smaller base circle.

My cam was a 641, but I had it cut down to 621 specs, .509/.528. When they cut it.theyalso reduced the base circle somewhat as evidenced by the new polish job on all the lobes. I'm still learning how to use my digital camera, but here are a few more. Paul

026.jpg

Comp Cams says they think they can lower the base circle .020"-.030". So I am going to ship it back to them for a regrind.

Sorry to jump this thread...is bushing the lifter bores expensive? And you would be cutting off the oil supply to the lifter,correct? Therefore solid rollers or solids would be your only option...

Sorry to jump this thread...is bushing the lifter bores expensive? And you would be cutting off the oil supply to the lifter,correct? Therefore solid rollers or solids would be your only option...

Getting lifter bushings installed is anywhere from $500-$700 depending on the shop. Yes, it is extremely expensive. But my understanding is they have to have jigs for a small block mopar in order to do it. And I wouldn't let them do it unless they have done a small block mopar before. Its not the same as a small block chevy.

You can have the bushings drilled for oiling prior to being installed for hydraulic cams or if you want the lifter to have pressurized oil for push rod oiling.

-
Back