SB Head Oiling modification

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

as most of you know the Heads / Valvetrain are oiled trough timed passages in the camshaft, so there is no continous oil flow. I saw pictures of cams where a groove is grinded around the two journals with the passages to improve oil flow, to make it more continous.

I´m able to machine such a groove (maybe .1" deep and wide?) into the cam journals at work with a grinding machine. Did somebody do this mod, is it a good or bad idea? If there are mopar SB cams out there with this grooves how deep / wide are these grooves? cam from wich supplier?

Thanks for input!

Michael

If you're looking for full time rocker oiling I'd be curious why you think you need it. It's typical to do for continuous high rpm use and needs a larger capacity oil pan than stock.. Think road race/circle track type stuff. It also should involve lower end mods because you are effectively creating a much larger internal system "leak" that will take oil away from the mains and rods. You can do similar stuff by just using hollow pushrods.

so you think it´s not worth the effort for a street car? I just checked my lifters, they are oil trough, so i can also use hollow pushrods to have the same effect, right?

It´s by far no race engine, personal redline will be around 6200 rpm if it´s finished. Just thought about improvements, but if it´s not necessary i will forget it. You are right, stock engines live very long without this stuff.....

Thanks!

Michael

I'd only do that out of necessity.

If you have a special circumstance, like installing a magnum cam in an LA engine, thus requiring the grooves, then OK. Other than that, I wouldn't do it.

I have an engine that required a groove in the cam journals. I believe the final groove came in at about .100 wide and .080 deep. Now the effect on the oiling system. With a minimal groove using a drill, oil pressure was in the 75 range. With the deeper groove, oil pressure was 62 or so.

IMO, waste of time for a street or street strip ride. Oval track/hi endurance race ennes might like it.

surly not a .100! maybe like .010, factory hemi cams have a .040 or so if i remember right...

-
Back