SB timing chain drip tab

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Ive torn down the front of dads 273 to repair a coolant leak. I noticed that it doesnt have the drip tab that directs the oil from the upper galley to flow out thru "bolt with hole" and directly onto the the timing chain. I would like to install one if it doesnt hold me up too much longer.
I checked both my 67 and 67 factory parts manuals, and neither of those show the drip tab.

What year/size engines had these, so I can try and source from local wreckers.

Thanks
Steve

My 68 340 did not have one when I took it apart to freshen up. Just the oil slinger on the crank and drilled through bolt. I put it back together that way with a new timing chain, this was back in 2001, swapped cams last winter and the timing chain was still in good shape. My 73 340 had the drip tab though.

96 dodge dakota v6, timing chain tensioner, drill one hole in the tensioner place for the 4th cam thrust bolt, replace the old thrust plate with the tensioner.

enjoy a tensioner and drip tab

You can put it back together the way it came, and it will be fine. If you really want to add the drip tab, you can buy them new right on ebay

✔✔✔ Mopar: Small Block TIMING CHAIN OILER tab 318 340 360 273 Dodge Plymouth

Whats amazing is, I have never recalled taking a small block mopar apart and finding the drilled bolt for the oil to drain. Believe me, I've been in a lot of them. I have left that bolt out to allow the oil to drain and just use two bolts. No matter how I've put them back together, I've never had an issue

I think the difference was depending if you had a solid or hydrolic cam from the factory.

PM me if you want one, I'll just send one out.
Not all the engines cam with one from what I was told though I never took one apart without one under the cover. Some have a hollow bolt that allows oil to drip on the chain.

Again, I have one for you F.O.C.

Thanks very much for the offer Rob! Im going to chk the local wreckers here 1st and let u know.

72val4dr thanks for the year and model. That helps!
Working 12 hr shifts leaves next to zero mopar time except for days off.
Then there is usually grandbaby time mixed in too lol.
A few days off this week so it.may have to go together without one.

Thanks again all
PM me if you want one, I'll just send one out.
Not all the engines cam with one from what I was told though I never took one apart without one under the cover. Some have a hollow bolt that allows oil to drip on the chain.

Again, I have one for you F.O.C.

The basic slinger on the crank and the drilled through bolt does a good job most of the time.
So Idle the engine on a incline. The slinger isn't so saturated, idle rpm lessens the sling effect ( front sump versus rear sump may also be factor ), the drip runs down the face of the block behind the chain.
Do some conditions create need for something more ? How about a drip leg from that hole ?
Was it marine applications that presented this condition to the engineers ? More questions than answers LOL

-
Back