SB turbo headers?

-
Mine were $1200 for the headers and $250 for the down flanges, from a member on here. I sent him the wastegate flanges.

61519883_2334056479994573_7804688783584002048_o.jpg

Very nice. Induction is Not a poor mans game

No it isnt lol, but I had a different setup before, maddart made it with the headman truck headers but I have a aftermarket block that got in the way after I had it all together and really didnt want to grind more on it lol would have been easier if I did lol

But what else can you go from 300hp to 700hp with a few tweaks to the boost controller. I was not convinced either. When I was growing up it was all blowers for induction. Until you go to the track and see them all for yourself it is an obvious choice for more power. The hot side in an a body with front fender wells intact is a nightmare without some fab skills. I debated remote mounting them by the rear wheel tubs but that opens another can of worms on the oil side, and being primarily a street car getting the compressor pipe back to the carb is a snag.. good luck in your endeavors...

I say GO FOR IT but just make sure your eyes are wide open.

I say that because...

1. You are using my favorite car...an early A, but you already know how small they really are and...

B. Any time you are doing anything like a turbo or Pro Charger getting exhaust is really the issue.

When I first started playing with turbos it was the same deal. Exhaust is critical for good turbo performance and making all that fit in an early A, especially if the inner fenders are still there is the perfect storm for making your hair fall out trying to get a decent exhaust system on it.

If you can deal with that then you'll find much of the rest of it pretty pedestrian really.

What book are you reading?? My only turbo book (if I can find it) is from the early 1980's.

Just barely started reading it but after 3 pages I know hella more about Turbo's than before I opened the cover.

Turbo book.jpg

Just barely started reading it but after 3 pages I know hella more about Turbo's than before I opened the cover.

View attachment 1715420049

Thanks. That's way newer than what I have. May have to order it (when talking books if I say I may order a book, bank on it...it's a euphemism I use to make the wife think I'm only considering buying ANOTHER book). Ahhhhhh, the married life!

No it isnt lol, but I had a different setup before, maddart made it with the headman truck headers but I have a aftermarket block that got in the way after I had it all together and really didnt want to grind more on it lol would have been easier if I did lol

Matt,
Do you have pictures of your setup in the car you would share, I imagine there's even more compartment room in a 67' than a 65', I am also just about ready to pull the chain on my wallet emptying a bunch of coin for the HDK crossmember w/rack which certainly ain't gonna hurt my confines.

Since my pockets do have bottoms in regards to the Turbo setup $$$, whats a realistic pricepoint to get it turnkey with a good controller.

Thanks. That's way newer than what I have. May have to order it (when talking books if I say I may order a book, bank on it...it's a euphemism I use to make the wife think I'm only considering buying ANOTHER book). Ahhhhhh, the married life!
While they pale in comparison to real life hands on experience books are a great tool to lay the foundation about basic theory and understanding, then its time to go get the hands dirty. Though people do it all the time, how anybody would be willing to shell out thousands and thousands of dollars on parts but deficient in initially spending 17 bucks on a book first to understand said parts has always been a head scratcher to me.

Last edited:
Here's the headers installed, need to cut the front part of the inner fenders out for clearance and then use the oval tubing to go between the header and the ice tank due to using air/water intercoolers, wont have that if you go air/air. In the picture the right side tank is now on the left and that left one is gone completely, was going to use it for a overflow for the rad but changing it.

20190618_110250.jpg

20190922_172631.jpg

Here's the headers installed, need to cut the front part of the inner fenders out for clearance and then use the oval tubing to go between the header and the ice tank due to using air/water intercoolers, wont have that if you go air/air. In the picture the right side tank is now on the left and that left one is gone completely, was going to use it for a overflow for the rad but changing it.

View attachment 1715420054

View attachment 1715420057
Thanks Matt,
That don't seem too bad so far and looks pretty clean

It not all that bad just routing, plus I put a mid plate in so that will need to be gone under or through so things to figure out.
Thanks, it's pretty dusty from sitting lol

It not all that bad just routing, plus I put a mid plate in so that will need to be gone under or through so things to figure out.
Thanks, it's pretty dusty from sitting lol
What ignition system you running to have all the coil packs? I went with a Holley super sniper kit with hyper spark distributor but I am yet to install. Summer is over in South Dakota and no heat in the shop so this boy moves indoors

Matt,
Do you have pictures of your setup in the car you would share, I imagine there's even more compartment room in a 67' than a 65', I am also just about ready to pull the chain on my wallet emptying a bunch of coin for the HDK crossmember w/rack which certainly ain't gonna hurt my confines.

Since my pockets do have bottoms in regards to the Turbo setup $$$, whats a realistic pricepoint to get it turnkey with a good controller.

my setup isn’t near what Matt’s is but I got at least 6k in mine. That’s without a fuel system included. I didn’t go ball bearing turbos to save money for now just to make sure I wasn’t building a grenade. But I have 2 PTE 72mm turbos. $1100 each. But I did spend good money on wastegates and BOV. All Tial. $380 a wastegate plus $250 for the bov. And $500 for the eboost 2 turbo smart controller. You can see what happens fast..

That is gonna be one bad ***** on the street. Gonna be a LS killer, cause for some reason that’s all that wants to race..

Thanks will be fun to run it on the streets. If you need fuel pumps, I got the AEMs 400lph pumps that's good for 830hp forced induction if you want to look into them for your set up.

Mines 428cid stroker, ritter block, diamond boost pistons 9.03:1, cometic MLS head gaskets, arp studs heads and 4 bolt mains, callies 4"crank, compstar h beam, edelbrock magnum ported heads, super victor ported efi, custom billet Crower turbo cam, hughes 1.65:1 rocker kit, 90mm tb, 160lb injectors, custom 1 7/8 turbo headers, n/a roughly about 600hp plus estimate, after boost low (8-10psi) 1000hp, little higher (18-20psi) 1600hp

Last edited:
Curious what y'alls displacement is and the naturally aspirated HP vs the (projected) HP after the addition of the Turbo's.
Mine is more mild. Stock 73 360 block. Bored .060 molnar forged crank and h beam rods. All arp studded. Ross ultra light 8to1 dish pistons, pro max aluminum heads. Custom bullet turbo grind solid cam. I figure it to be 300hp N/A and hope for 600hp on 10psi. Will never know as the nearest dyno is 100 miles. Unless it’s on a rack then it’s about 5 miles. We got one of the best machinist living around here. Know by many in the nhra

Mines 428cid stroker, ritter block, diamond boost pistons 9.03:1, cometic MLS head gaskets, arp studs heads and 4 bolt mains, callies 4"crank, compstar h beam, edelbrock magnum ported heads, super victor ported efi, custom billet Crower turbo cam, highest 1.65:1 rocker kit, 90mm tb, 160lb injectors, custom 1 7/8 turbo headers, n/a roughly about 600hp plus estimate, after boost low (8-10psi) 1000hp, little higher (18-20psi) 1600hp

Mine is more mild. Stock 73 360 block. Bored .060 molnar forged crank and h beam rods. All arp studded. Ross ultra light 8to1 dish pistons, pro max aluminum heads. Custom bullet turbo grind solid cam. I figure it to be 300hp N/A and hope for 600hp on 10psi. Will never know as the nearest dyno is 100 miles. Unless it’s on a rack then it’s about 5 miles. We got one of the best machinist living around here. Know by many in the nhra

Wow Matt,
That's a pretty stout motor!
(Still on paper) I will be falling in just slightly above
Nosretta's plenty potent combo, with 450 HP out of an N/A 408 and another 2- 300 from the Turbo....Ultimate goal is 6.50s on 93 Oct/ E85, 9.1, possibly a blow thru, and 3.55's or taller in the back. 2800 lb car.
My expectations are to run 6.50s in a primarily street car.

Wow Matt,
That's a pretty stout motor!
(Still on paper) I will be falling in just slightly above
Nosretta's plenty potent combo, with 450 HP out of an N/A 408 and another 2- 300 from the Turbo....Ultimate goal is 6.50s on 93 Oct/ E85, 9.1, possibly a blow thru, and 3.55's or taller in the back. 2800 lb car.
My expectations are to run 6.50s in a primarily street car.
The Ritter or similar is always in the future but for some reason this year I decided the mini tub is done and completely back halved the car. Engine is out and on the cradle. Car is up on stands and the money is straight flowing away from me. I did manage to get a 31x18.5 Mickey STR under it. Figured might as well . Haha the are a few dudes around me less than pleased I chose to do this to a 1969 Dart 340 4 Spd Swinger. Oh well... always wanted a tub car and didn’t have the balls to tub my cuda when I still had it..

The Ritter or similar is always in the future but for some reason this year I decided the mini tub is done and completely back halved the car. Engine is out and on the cradle. Car is up on stands and the money is straight flowing away from me. I did manage to get a 31x18.5 Mickey STR under it. Figured might as well . Haha the are a few dudes around me less than pleased I chose to do this to a 1969 Dart 340 4 Spd Swinger. Oh well... always wanted a tub car and didn’t have the balls to tub my cuda when I still had it..

Ha I say,
Your car, your dinero...Do what you like.

I've already got a big tire back halved 64' Valiant and 69' Fish but going the 275 route on this Six Five build. If I wanted it to be easy I'd Turbo the 383 in the Valiant since there's a gang of room in there but nahhhhh! Last image is what I'm "currently" looking at in the Six Five bay which is where the Twins are going. YIKES!

64 Valiant Full Driver.jpg

64 Valiant Ft. no clip.jpg

Cuda Cut Plate.jpg

00l0l_eecS6It0lOU_600x450.jpg

Ha I say,
Your car, your dinero...Do what you like.

I've already got a big tire back halved 64' Valiant and 69' Fish but going the 275 route on this Six Five build. If I wanted it to be easy I'd Turbo the 383 in the Valiant since there's a gang of room in there but nahhhhh! Last image is what I'm "currently" looking at in the Six Five bay which is where the Twins are going. YIKES!

View attachment 1715420298

View attachment 1715420302

View attachment 1715420301

View attachment 1715420303

I have to say I LOVE that 65 and that is a massive understatement at best. What a killer car. Fantastic.

The only thing I see is the headers are so long you are probably giving up 40-50 HP. But I get it. In that chassis real estate is at a premium so every 1/32 inch is a big deal.

Love that car to pieces.

LOL. I just went back and looked at the pictures and had to LOL. I see you moved your firewall back...I forget but it looks like 8-9 inches when it's there. And then I noticed the notch in the...WTH do they call that piece under the windshield?? Anyway where you notched the body for the carb and hood scoop. I saw that and had to laugh.

My last race car was a 64 Barracuda and I moved the fire wall (and the engine) back 8-9 inches and had that same notch.

Those early A's are still my most favorite A body cars.

-
Back