SB Valve Cover Bolts....Too Short

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
My stock valve cover bolts are too short to accommodate my vintage Cal Custom covers (thick aluminum).........Probably the same thickness as the Mopar Performance valve covers.

Can someone tell me the EXACT bolt size I need ? (without guessing)

Stock bolts have a thread depth of 5/8".....JUST miss starting with a previously compressed cork gasket.

WHAT SIZE GUYS ?

(I could just go to Ace and figure it out myself, but your expertise will save me valuable time). 8)

They are standard course 1/4", I use stainless allen head cap screws, 1" on my M/T covers. Studs are cool, but my fingers don't work so swell so I would be dropping nuts into the abyss.

take your old bolt with you and get one that is 3/8" longer. Typically a bolt is measured from the head to the end of the threads,,,,,,,,,,,but if you take the old one with you, you'll be able to see how much more you need.

take your old bolt with you and get one that is 3/8" longer. Typically a bolt is measured from the head to the end of the threads,,,,,,,,,,,but if you take the old one with you, you'll be able to see how much more you need.

For cryin' out loud.......... This is why I asked for "EXACT" length from someone's own experience......

A 1" bolt will NOT be sufficient to hold the cover. A 1" THREAD might be. (which would be a 1-1/4" bolt) I figured there MUST be someone here that had the correct bolt length, or a supplier contact for the correct bolts (without gettin' ripped by guys sellin' them at $35. a set)............

I guess I'll just go to Ace Hardware.

sorry for the inconvienence, didn't know you wanted to "order" new bolts for your valve covers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,screw you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best bet is to just take a valve cover and gasket to the hardware store and see what size ya need. unless you measure the thickness of the cover and gasket there is no way anyone here can give you an exact size.

Let's see..........The question was asked at noon. At 7:00 he was still looking for somebody to answer the question to save him valuable time? :scratch: I would've done like abodyjoe said & by 12:30 I would've been back from the farm supply store with 10 bolts & washers.

Well, since the nearest Ace is over 25 miles from here, yeah my time (and gas) are valuable........ maybe you could get your own comedy show.

.......and to the "screw you" comment, I asked a very pointed question....."exact" size, from experience, is what I stated as the question.

Any questions? Perhaps if you actually read the entire thread next time, you wouldn't feel a need to resort to curses. Capishe?

what is the EXACT length of the old bolt?
what is the EXACT thickness of the old valve cover?
what is the EXACT thickness of the new valve cover?
once required information is provided I will supply the answer
(provided I look at this thread again)

This is soooo simple. Find the difference in valve covers thickness' and add it to your stock bolt size...If you want exact then you should list what you are working on. But my formula above will work

simpler that that...set valve cover and gasket in place and stick a toothpick in the hole mark it with a sharpie...........:cheers:

Step back and count to 10! The toothpick idea is perfect waggin'! Gasket thickness and valve cover flange thickness is an unknown variable for us guys a few states away. If you use the toothpick method make sure you get a bolt 1/4" shorter than your measurement. You don't want it to bottom out and not compress the gasket. Good luck Tom toolmanmike

Put in studs, you will be glad you did.

Yep.

Run in the studs, lay the gasket on over them, and drop the cover right on. Lot easier than finding where you dropped the bolt. lol

I prefer my fabbers though with the cap screws through the top. God they make life so much easier.

-
Back