Sb- Whats The Thickest Head Gasket You Can Use??

-
It depends on what you need for clearance. Cometic head gaskets can be had in various thicknesses. However they are pricey.

MoPar used to sell a head gasket steel shim that was .060 thick and I coupled it with a .040 Fel-Pro to drop the ratio on my 360.
Sealing it up was not a problem. Indian head gasket sealer is my freind.

I heard,cuz im NO expert, that the STEEL gaskets would brake/blow pretty easy...true?? I really dont want to put this motor together and have a problem. How much comp. would that drop??

Mike, I ran them for about a year or so due to the need of a daily driver for work. No issue at all. They'll drop the ratio almost exactly 1 point this way. More with a thicker gasket like a example of Fel-Pro's .055 thick gasket vs the .039.

Back story;

The only car left was my Cuda, a 360 zero deck piston set up. The rest of the engine was near a strip build. Big tube headers, big(ish) cam , big carb, single plane 4.10's etc...

Since the need to get my butt to work was dyer, this shim was an answer to the pump gas math. (Along with a intake, carb, cam & gear change for traveling 40 miles one way to work. 2.76's are wonderful for mileage!)

Good man! Good link!

On my set up, I went down 1.181 in ratio

-
Back