Sbc vs sbm

-

frosty_the_punk

Reaction score
bxbq.jpg

What do you guys think. does this pretty much sum it up?

hmmmm.......production block vs aftermarket.....that has not been around for a while....seems like a fair comparison.....

You'll find the dimensions highlighted in red are 100% identical between the X block shown and a factory LA block.

And like all LA blocks, This X block started life as a 2 bolt main.

I've always liked to throw the "two bolt" argument at chevy guys.

Ours must not need it.

If you really want to see the difference, look at each one that's been blown apart. You can really see it then.

I could build either one of those to scare the ****
out of you level and still survive.
Probably do the one on the left for less $$$ per horsepower.

Just to make everything clear, I think you should title this "SBC vs SBM". Most of us know just by looking at the pic that the Mopar is on the right side of the pic but there might be a few on here that don't know.

Heck I found a good 350 in a field once, just sitting in dirt. Took it home sold it to my friend for $200. He drove that truck for almost 4 years, till he blew up the trans. we went back to the field, but didn't see any rebuilt turbo 350 trans! :)

I could build either one of those to scare the ****
out of you level and still survive.

I'm not sure what to say to that, are you trying to imply that you are on a different "level" of engine building to me?

ok friend, I'm sure every woman wants you and every man wants to be you. :prayer::prayer::prayer:

Just to make everything clear, I think you should title this "SBC vs SBM". Most of us know just by looking at the pic that the Mopar is on the right side of the pic but there might be a few on here that don't know.

You're right, I realized this as soon as i posted it. Not really much i can do about it now though unfortunately.

I've always liked to throw the "two bolt" argument at chevy guys.

Ours must not need it.

The only real difference is that the early SBC - 265, 283 and 327 never had 4 bolt mains either.

If I go on, I'll be banned from the best comedy show on the Internet, this forum

The only real difference is that the early SBC - 265, 283 and 327 never had 4 bolt mains either.

If I go on, I'll be banned from the best comedy show on the Internet, this forum

Well........there "sorta" was a 327 4 bolt block. The 302 was essentially a 327 block with a 283 crank and 4 bolt main caps.

There need to be a Like button or LOL button on here...

Mike:finga:

Rob, notice I never mentioned the 1969 302 block which was made for 1 year and I actually owned one..

I honestly hate chevy's with a passion sure chevy made be cheap per horse power but I rather go with quality ford or mopar more so mopar these days I had a 78 tradesman 100 with a mild 440 it had the 1st gen pro injection it ran like crap but no matter what it always ways started and halled butt and another story iwas at Spokane drag strip and there was a 69 road runner big block 4 spd sounded awful he stalled it at the line and he kicked butt both passes he ran lol lol there's my 2 cents.
:burnout: :coffee2: no offence to chevy guys that's just my opinion and exp.

Well....the above picture says nothing of metallurgy.

Nor does it take into account the superiority of stock sbm heads, valve centerlines, head bolt count (BBM only, IIRC), etc....

For me, this argument is not relevant to anything at all. One reason, when I was a young man, that I "changed" from Chibbys to Mopars is that I was tired of fixing drivetrains. Back then, damn few Shovies had either Muncie gearboxes or 12 bolt rears.

There's a reason, back then, that gassers used stuff like Olds rear axles instead of Chovies.

The guy who was the original owner of my 70 440-6 had a 65 350 Chevelle when I first met him. He broke two 10 bolts, one broke the pinion in half. When the other rear broke, it evidently shocked the input shaft in the 4 speed and snapped the input shaft off.

When he broke the rear and the gearbox, this was SF bound on the Bay Bridge from Treasure Island. We literally skidded into a turnout, and when the wrecker came, he/ we elected to push us off the bridge with the rubber bumper. We had pulled the cover off the rear, and dug out enough carnage that we figured it would roll, but we failed to notice the C clips had fallen out. When we were coasting down the ramp off the bridge, both rear axles came out, rubbing on the fenders, and THIS MEANS there are NO brakes. !!!!NONE!!!! Fortunately George had a front linelock, and is a fairly smart guy. He held the linelock button and pumped the pedal a couple of times====just enough to build a little pressure in the front end before it ran out of fluid.

And of course the 350 which was near new back then, ate a cam.

What was the argument, again?

I think a raised cam has a number of advantages, but this pic also shows a key advantage of the SBC. The motor is tiny. There is a reason the SBC has shown up in just about every possible hot rod ever, and that is it's ability to fit in a tiny engine bays. Simply put you can put a SBC in places that an LA/Magnum motor would never fit.

Also while the LA motor might have a number of advantages over the SBC in terms of HP potential, the SBC has a huge number of advantages over the 289/302 Ford motors. It is my understanding that the stock SBF motor is only good to about 500 HP at which point cracked blocks are a real possibility. Thus, the Chevy offers a compact design and a fairly durable platform for performance, combined with the ubiquity of the SBC it becomes clear why the motor is so popular.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I was with my brother at the U.S. Nationals in Indy 1961 when Sneaky Pete Robinson won top eliminator in double A fuel dragster in a blown small block chevy. I remember him going through the competition like there was no tomorrow. At that time I was 17 and had a blown 301 fully streetable running times many seek today.

I personally love both motors enough to have a 360 in my Signet and a LT1 350 in my chevy truck. I am no purist and knows what works..

I think a raised cam has a number of advantages, but this pic also shows a key advantage of the SBC. The motor is tiny. There is a reason the SBC has shown up in just about every possible hot rod ever, and that is it's ability to fit in a tiny engine bays. Simply put you can put a SBC in places that an LA/Magnum motor would never fit.

That is true, the sbm is admittedly larger and quite measurably heavier than the sbc.

-
Back