[WANTED] SBM Gear Drive Timing

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a complete Milodon 13600 available. I'm not sure of overall run time but I replaced the cam-gear bolts and Torrington bearing just for good measure. Those have less than two hours on them. It's in excellent functional condition. I can get pictures of it; it's already off the engine.

It's tweaky to configure correctly (download the instructions from Milodon and start deciding which magazine you want to destroy) and it's loud. Nobody will ever hear your Holley blue pump.

$275 plus the ride. @Steve Watchorn, you may be able to avoid shipping charges since you're in MI.

I still have it.

I won't be able to manage tonight, but I'll get it out and get pictures of it tomorrow or Friday. It's boxed up in the trunk of a car in storage.

@Steve Watchorn as promised...

The marks on the mounting plate were there when I got it. One of the thrust washers for the Torrington bearing was broken, which caused it. I replaced the washers and the bearing with new Milodon replacements, as well as the seven button-head cam bolts. I have the old bearing and one thrust washer, both still good, along with some spare cam bolts. The cam gear is still bolted to its hub at the moment.

This is a far more serious setup than any other gear drive, especially the dink ones. The instructions explain the setup and advance/retard arrangement well, but unlike others Milodon still exists if you need tech support. It worked great in my 340/W2/solid roller engine for a couple of years, although I didn't run it much. I never had any issue with it, I just got tired of listening to it.

If you're interested, PM me an e-mail address and I can send you more and/or higher-resolution photos if you'd like.

100_5712.JPG

100_5714.JPG

100_5715.JPG

@Steve Watchorn as promised...

The marks on the mounting plate were there when I got it. One of the thrust washers for the Torrington bearing was broken, which caused it. I replaced the washers and the bearing with new Milodon replacements, as well as the seven button-head cam bolts. I have the old bearing and one thrust washer, both still good, along with some spare cam bolts. The cam gear is still bolted to its hub at the moment.

This is a far more serious setup than any other gear drive, especially the dink ones. The instructions explain the setup and advance/retard arrangement well, but unlike others Milodon still exists if you need tech support. It worked great in my 340/W2/solid roller engine for a couple of years, although I didn't run it much. I never had any issue with it, I just got tired of listening to it.

If you're interested, PM me an e-mail address and I can send you more and/or higher-resolution photos if you'd like.

View attachment 1716161973

View attachment 1716161974

View attachment 1716161975
I'm curious - how much noise did that set-up make?

It's just a typical "noisy" gear drive, which serious gear drives always are (straight-cut gears). It's no worse than any others I've heard. I'm just not a fan of the sound.

Another issue was its detriment to the sleeper nature of the car itself, a ratty '69 Signet 2-door with quiet dual exhaust. Rust, body filler, bad paint, chalky SBP slots--she's got it all!--but that gear drive hints at something serious underhood.

Unless you are running an all out drag car, the gear drive isn't going to benefit you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back