Scammers taking over FABO classifieds!

-

ardentindustries

Reaction score
Maybe this has already been discussed but wanted to mention it just in case...

Anyone noticed the scammers in the classifieds? Twice today, I got a new conversation saying "contact this guy, he has (fill in blank, whatever my wanted ad says). Here's his email.

First one felt scammy but I emailed the guy and he sent me pics of the parts that were not what I was after. Then he says, "oh my bad, here's the correct pictures"....they still were not the right parts.

Just got another message about "contact this guy", and then mentioned conversing through email...definitely a scammer as well.

They copy/paste your verbiage from your ad and...shockingly...omit normal words we use in the English language, similar to the sandbox folks.

I'm fairly cautious and tech savvy so I'm less likely to fall for this but wanted to make it known so others can look out for it. Both users had single digit posts here on FABO.

Sucks...but it's the world we live in. Be cautious people!

100 times, but never seems to be posted often enough with someone getting scammed. Why would you even email them if you're tech savvy? Just hit report and let the Mods toast them...

Maybe this has already been discussed but wanted to mention it just in case...

Anyone noticed the scammers in the classifieds? Twice today, I got a new conversation saying "contact this guy, he has (fill in blank, whatever my wanted ad says). Here's his email.

First one felt scammy but I emailed the guy and he sent me pics of the parts that were not what I was after. Then he says, "oh my bad, here's the correct pictures"....they still were not the right parts.

Just got another message about "contact this guy", and then mentioned conversing through email...definitely a scammer as well.

They copy/paste your verbiage from your ad and...shockingly...omit normal words we use in the English language, similar to the sandbox folks.

I'm fairly cautious and tech savvy so I'm less likely to fall for this but wanted to make it known so others can look out for it. Both users had single digit posts here on FABO.

Sucks...but it's the world we live in. Be cautious people!
If you don't hit the report button when you get a message we can't fix it. Please don't post it, copy it, or send us a message. If it's in your private messages we can't access it. If you report it it can be handled in a couple of keystrokes.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Hit report, never respond to people like that.

I've had a couple of these. Kudos to the moderators for the warning that pops up before you post a Wanted posting.

I had someone respond to a wanted ad a few years ago. I'm in Florida and he was supposedly in Ga. Looking for some fenders. Typical " a friend has them, Send an e-mail, send money to a different paypal addy because his account was hacked. Asked for a address where the parts were located, and a good time to come and pick them up. That I had a friend that was semi local, and he would have the money and if the parts were as good as advertised, he would pay and pick them up. Crickets.

Scam 101: I don't have what you want, but a friend/relative/business I know does, you can contact them at......
This hits the nail on the head.

Never, EVER send an email to some stranger in response to a want ad here. It's so easy just to look at their user handle to the left, under that we've got their join date, how many messages they've posted, and their feedback rating. The scammers are always new members with no feedback, and have never posted in any other forums.

If your spidey senses tell you something's off, it probably is. Hit that report button and let the admins work their magic.

I encountered it once and it was the same circumstance as above, the person was discovered, and the profile was deleted before I even finished reporting it. They even used a previous real ad picture from FABO as the part they were trying to scam me on. When I went to the email to look at the picture it was spot on what I was looking for, but it was too "fishy." He/she asked what my preferred method of payment was, so I responded C.O.D. LOL then I reported it but it was already taken care of.

-
Back