scamp grille conversion

-

mellow_utah

Reaction score
Hey, i have a 73 scamp and I just bought a 70 duster grille, the metal panels that go above and below it with the bumper brackets. I'm trying to install it and the old upper panel needs to be removed. Problem is the whole dang freontr clip is welded together, any ideas?

The 70 grill won't fit unless you change the whole front clip to a 70-72 front end

are you saying the radiator support is in the way? everything should unbolt and from what i see you will need to add tabs to your 73 fenders to attach the new upper grill suport too. i am going to do this swap on my 74 duster.

Yeah the upper core support is different but I have one off of a 70 duster as well as the lower piece. It looks like I should be able to swap the 73s for the 70s. Is there some thing different about the fenders? They look the same.

You're gonna have to swap the whole front clip. Hood, fenders and bumper are different. 70-72 flat grille/hood/bumper, 73-up pointed. Even if there was a way to physically mount the grille, your hood would overhang the grille in the middle with a big gap in the middle if it even closed at all, not to mention the gap between the grille and the bumper. The 73 bumper has a point in the middle also. Take a good look at some 70-72 Dusters/Scamps, then take a look at some 73-up cars and you'll see what we're saying. For comparison:

1973_duster_340_drvr_fender.jpg

1970dv1.jpg

Sorry dude, we're just trying to save you some grief. Not gonna happen. Pretty sure there are a few on the board that have already done this swap that will tell you the same thing.

It's my understanding that the fenders are the same. You need the grill, appropriate hood(70-72), bumper support, and bumper for it to work right.

You're gonna have to swap the whole front clip. Hood, fenders and bumper are different. 70-72 flat grille/hood/bumper, 73-up pointed. Even if there was a way to physically mount the grille, your hood would overhang the grille in the middle with a big gap in the middle if it even closed at all, not to mention the gap between the grille and the bumper. The 73 bumper has a point in the middle also. Take a good look at some 70-72 Dusters/Scamps, then take a look at some 73-up cars and you'll see what we're saying. For comparison:

1973_duster_340_drvr_fender.jpg

1970dv1.jpg

Sorry dude, we're just trying to save you some grief. Not gonna happen. Pretty sure there are a few on the board that have already done this swap that will tell you the same thing.

there are plenty of people that have done this swap, i never heard of anyone changing the core support. there is a filler panel on both the 70-72 and 74 and newer, they look like they will interchange i have the parts here and have studied them pretty well. if you look at your pics you posted you can see the filler panel. ther eis a small tab mounted to the fenders it has one hole and one nut welded on for the upper grill support to bolt to. aside from the side markers that is the only difference i see.

Sorry I guess I'm not familiar with the names of the panels. Basically I have every panel except the hood for between the fenders all off of a 70 duster. I have the panel the grille and hood latch bolt to, the filler panel for between the grille and bumper, the bumper brackets, the grille, the headlight buckets. I know I need trhe bumper and I'm going to getg a 70 fiberglass sixpack hood. The fenders look the same so I didn't buy new ones. I guess I was just trying to make sure that was all I needed

I don't think I'm up on the names of the panels so I'm getting a little confused. Here's what I have off of a 70 already...the upper panel that the grill and hood latch bolt to, the grill and headlight buckets, the lower panel between the grill and bumper, the bumper brackets. I know I still need the bumper and I'm gonna get a fiberglass sixpack or hemi hood. The fenders seem to be the same? Looking at it now that I have the 73 parts off it seems like that's all I need? The big problem is the front panels all seem to be welded together?

there should be two bolts per side on the bumper filler panel. there will be a few bolt in various places for the latch support. if not start cutting!

there should be two bolts per side on the bumper filler panel. there will be a few bolt in various places for the latch support. if not start cutting!

You don't have to change the fenders. You gotta change the grille support, the hood, and the front bumper to use the '70-72 grille.

Maybe I shouldn't post at almost 4 in the morning, LOL. I stand corrected, you can use the fenders. You seem to have everything else you need, you just need to get it apart. So how's that going?

I think I got it apart enough to mbolt in the upper grill support in but it sits to far back so I couldn,t bolt the grille on. I put the original back on and used the rest of the 70 parts and it looks like I can make some mounts off of the 73 upper grill support to make it work. So everything bolted in easy but the upper support. Itr looks like mopar changed the metal form around where it would mount to trhe fenders or I'm just missing some little parts dunno haha

the fenders on the 73 and newer dont have the tabs that the upper support bolts too. the upper support doesnt bolt to the core support if i remember right. there is a small tab that is welded tot he 72 and earlier fender that you dont have. you need to add that and use the upper grill support or your grill will be flopping in the breeze.

Ah, so the fenders ARE different. Not much, but enough that it is not a direct bolt on. Well, I guess I aren't as dumb as I look, LOL. Seriously though, good info guys. I've owned only a few A-Bodies, 2 fastback B-cuda's, a 69 Swinger and currently, my 71 Scamp. Every day I'm here, I learn something new. Thanks for the info.

Wow guys thanks for all the great info I have mocked everytrhing up and you are right tabs there should work greatr!

the fenders are different, but you dont need the pre 72 fenders to make it work.

the fenders are different, but you dont need the pre 72 fenders to make it work.

Yep, just gotta be creative. I'm currently swapping a '69 Valiant grille into my Scamp. Just gotta figure out how to get it solid, same as mellow_utah. Let us know how it turns out.

I used to think i wanted to swap the grill in my 73 but it grew on me. i think it has more character than the early oones.

-
Back