scamp title question.

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Morning guys,

Im in the process of helping a friend mull over the purchase of a 74 plymouth valiant/scamp. I call it a "valiant/scamp" because thats what it says on the title. Is this cause for concern? Or is this simply how scamps are titled. The owner sent a picture of the title, and it clearly says " valiant/ scamp" as the model. Perhaps this is the same as a demon being a dodge dart demon. Idk, just want to know if this is correct, common, or cause for concern. Thanks in advance for your help!

Johnny mac

I would think as long as the vin # matches you would be ok.

Good point. I will confirm that for sure

That's what it is Valiant line Scamp model -- the standard Valiant was a 4 door and the Scamp is a 2 door

Ok, I had seen a 2 door valiants titled as A valiant with no mention of scamp. So thats why I wondered. I was assuming some scamp owners would chime in To set me straight

I have a 74 Scamp also, and up here in Michigan my title shows from left to right the vin number which does match the vin plate followed by the year (1974) followed by the make (Plymouth) followed by the model (left blank) which I would think should read Scamp followed by the body style (two door) no where on the title does it say Scamp or Valiant, but that's Michigan for you.
Bob

Weird title here for a moped my daughter bought. It is from Maryland and says right on it not to be registered! Got a new PA title and it is off road use only! What the heck it is a 50cc moped all the lights, horn etc.

States can be stupid and AFU. I recently dealt with a Honda CT-90. This is a street legal and trail bike, but "as built" in the day was completely street legal. By that I do not mean an "add on light kit."

But Idaho has "one" word and got it wrong. If I recall it was titled as a "motorbike," and to be considered a "street" bike it must say "motorcycle." At least that is my memory. My title was wrong, and I had an interesting conversation trying to get it changed. The woman who I dealt with is nearly as old as I, and I was telling her "surely you remember the little Honda 55 when you were in high school?"

So yeh. titles can be wrong. Even the VIN can be AFU sometimes, but if it is SIIMILAR IE just one numeral wrong then it's probably a typo.

Thanks guys. Will be interesting to see the vin and car in person. I dont really think this is an issue like the roadrunner vs sattelite in the thread above. Its not like there is any value to add to a 74 scamp or valiant. I just dont want some goofy out of state title that the ohio bmv Gives us a hard time about.

so just an update...talked to the DMV, and with a $3 highway inspection, they'll basically title it as whatever conglomeration of words was used on any previous title or registration...or as a scamp...or as a valiant...or as a both.lol

as much of a hassle i figured they'd be...seems they'll call it a hemi cuda if i want them to. i see how vins and titles get messy over the years.

my title says 2S depends on state... i had them rename my cars before with spelling errors... the VIN is what matters...

so just an update...talked to the DMV, and with a $3 highway inspection, they'll basically title it as whatever conglomeration of words was used on any previous title or registration...or as a scamp...or as a valiant...or as a both.lol

as much of a hassle i figured they'd be...seems they'll call it a hemi cuda if i want them to. i see how vins and titles get messy over the years.

you could write whatever you want on the titling paperwork... the DMV peeps just robotically input that info... they have no idea what they are putting in...

you could write whatever you want on the titling paperwork... the DMV peeps just robotically input that info... they have no idea what they are putting in...

i should have them title it as 4 door so the insurance is cheaper lol

I own a 71 Scamp and here in Mass my title reads it as a Scamp. It also states under "body style" that it is a Hardtop. There is also a section stating it is a 6 cylinder, 5 passenger, and 2 doors. I think i'll keep the 6 cylinder in there (340 now) to keep the insurance down.

I even have a copy of the original title from the first owner. It is a Mass title and states all the same as mine does.

I think i'll go with valiant charger. Always wanted one of those anyways lol

-
Back